[4-2 WIN] Oilers Viktor; Knock Ducks Off Hiller Fasth

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
Indeed it is just a game.

Apparently you are much easier to please than I am.

You must be a new fan. :D

What good does it for me to be overly critical of a bunch of dudes, I don't know and have no control over, who play hockey for my enjoyment?

All I know is there are a lot of other things in my life that deserve these strong emotions, rather than just a hockey team.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
What good does it for me to be overly critical of a bunch of dudes, I don't know and have no control over, who play hockey for my enjoyment?

All I know is there are a lot of other things in my life that deserve these strong emotions, rather than just a hockey team.

Some fans care more about the team than other fans. Some fans are much easier to please than other fans.

Its all good.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
This team wins so few games we should enjoy them, especially against top tier teams.

It wasn't as if Fasth pulled a Scrivens. We won the game.

4 decent games in a row vs divisional opponents is something positive regardless of the outcome. the team knows there will be some changes but at least they are showing glimmers of hope.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
Poor puck support...check
Poor d zone coverage....check
Cheating on offence....check

Not much of an improvement on the important things.

As for the physicality...look at the lineup. Pinozotto and Fraser wont even be here next season.
The soft players were still soft...thats not going to change unless management changes some top 6 players.

Marincin and Klefbom struggled in this game as they should considering the opponent. Fasth was very good.

Its just rinse and repeat for this team.
Tough to get excited about that for next season.

I don't agree. It's tough to see positives after all the junk this year but this was an encouraging game. I don't mean encouraging in that we're on our way to the playoffs next but encouraging that at the very least we might not be a doormat.

The defensive coverage looked bad at times because Anaheim is a great team. The important thing though is that the Oilers were able to hold their own and protect the net in those battles despite being overmatched physically. Being rewarded for that kind of effort really could make an impression for next year.

Pinizzotto and Fraser weren't the only ones playing physical. The entire team was taking the body for once. Hendricks especially.

Regarding cheating offensively I didn't really see that except for Schultz and I'm not convinced that's a bad thing. As long as a forward covers for him (which they mostly did today) it creates an unpredictable element to our offence that can keep opposing defenders guessing.

I do agree that Maricin didn't look great today and seems to be slowing down. Klefbom was horrible in the 1st but I think he played better as the game went along.

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
I really thought we had improved puck movement in our D zone, thought that several times throughout the night. The only time I noticed us hopelessly hemmed in was when we were waiting for that penalty to be called.

I heard the commentators mention 'cheating on the offensive side' but I only really saw Schultz do it and he always had someone backing him up except the time that he really shouldn't have stayed in the zone. I really think that was the only "cheating for offence" play we made tonight that didn't go as planned.

Thinking jaded poster is jaded...

Also Klefbom got hung out to dry on that first goal but even good teams make mistakes so if we are cutting ours down to manageable numbers that is improvement whether people want to see it or not.

LOL at Ducks not trying tonight, that guy obviously wasn't watching.

UglyStupidAds

Sep 17, 2005
Edmonton
Don't be so oblivious.

Only a fool would be tricked by this team winning these pointless games.

Better that they be winning these 'pointless' games than losing them. Don't forget this game was key for Anaheim as they try to lock up top spot in their division.

I don't think anyone is seeing wins like tonight and saying "Playoffs 2015 here we come!" That said the Oilers need to get better at playing the tough physical teams like Anaheim and finding ways to succeed. Every time they do that they are putting a step forward in the development of the squad.

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009
So the team is playing better with their veteran, physical captain out of the lineup and a rookie in his place. Makes you wonder.

And Hall is suddenly in beast mode.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I don't agree. It's tough to see positives after all the junk this year but this was an encouraging game. I don't mean encouraging in that we're on our way to the playoffs next but encouraging that at the very least we might not be a doormat.

The defensive coverage looked bad at times because Anaheim is a great team. The important thing though is that the Oilers were able to hold their own and protect the net in those battles despite being overmatched physically. Being rewarded for that kind of effort really could make an impression for next year.

Pinizzotto and Fraser weren't the only ones playing physical. The entire team was taking the body for once. Hendricks especially.

Regarding cheating offensively I didn't really see that except for Schultz and I'm not convinced that's a bad thing. As long as a forward covers for him (which they mostly did today) it creates an unpredictable element to our offence that can keep opposing defenders guessing.

I do agree that Maricin didn't look great today and seems to be slowing down. Klefbom was horrible in the 1st but I think he played better as the game went along.

I actually like both Marinicin and Klefbom. I have seen progress from both of them which is a good sign moving forward.

As for keeping opposing teams guessing...the Oilers cheat to a fault. It doesnt keep the opposing team guessing it keeps the Oilers from being consistently competitive because its so damn easy to exploit.

Thats really the foundation of what I am saying here. I dont care if they win the next 3 games. I also dont care if people want to jump up and down about how great it is to win.

For me just commit to becoming a competitive team by doing the little things.

I like how Hall has changed his game in that regard. Props to him.

For example...too may times dmen had no outlet in the d zone because the forwards flew the zone. That is inexcusable at this point in time. It shows me that there are still major issues with trying to instil fundamentals after 78 games.
That is one of many things that have to change and I sense that major roster changes will be required to change it.

Some players need to be brought in that dont have a career of bad habits to break.

Last edited:

ViCiieux

Feb 8, 2013
How was Fasth? I know he have looked shaky the last games.
I think he will get better though because he been out with a groin injury for half the season or something?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
How was Fasth? I know he have looked shaky the last games.
I think he will get better though because he been out with a groin injury for half the season or something?

Fasth was very good in this game. Consistency seems to be an issue but that may be due to the lack of work this season.

I feel very comfortable with a Scrivens / Fasth combo in net going into next season.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
I can't believe that this is the same team that has played all season long. I hope that this an indication for the future.

slaman

McOilers Fan
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto
Oilers best Dman out there was Kelfbom again.....I don't mind falling in the draft a little with him playing like he has. I know its early but Im starting to think he's the real deal.

He had a brutal first period... but still looks better than Marincin to me.

ViCiieux

Feb 8, 2013
Klefbom was hands down the best defensive defender I've seen in a swedish junior team.
He will be a stud.

Sloth Slothersons*

Hall is stepping his game up just in time for the playoffs

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
The Ducks kinda destroyed us, great game by Fasth and ultimately win anyways.

Thought Hall, RNH, Pinizzotto, Eberle, Hendricks had good games

OK games for Schultz (nice game winner), Gordon, Klefbom, Marincin, Smyth

Petry wasnt too bad but struggled a bit, Perron took more penalties but was OK, Gagner struggled a bit today

Larsen had another game where he got a point, but that was the only time I noticed him

Tough games for Fraser, Belov, Acton and a really tough game for Lander

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Better that they be winning these 'pointless' games than losing them. Don't forget this game was key for Anaheim as they try to lock up top spot in their division.

I don't think anyone is seeing wins like tonight and saying "Playoffs 2015 here we come!" That said the Oilers need to get better at playing the tough physical teams like Anaheim and finding ways to succeed. Every time they do that they are putting a step forward in the development of the squad.
+1 A win is a win. Mailing it in for the last 10 games would have been a much easier route to take to the end of the year. The haters here need to give it up already and let a few happy fans enjoy the moment.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Hopkins is looking so much better lately. He's skating really well, looking for his own shot, and also playing real chippy. He's thrown a number of dirty chops at guys legs and crosschecks to arms the last few games, he's earning his space out there. Keep that up and he'll have a big season next year.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
The real positive I saw in this game is that they played as a team and actually played some team defense. They weren't always good at it but to see it for nearly a full game was a huge positive.

Another thing I liked, this pass by Klefbom:
http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hlg=20132014,2,1176&navid=sb:highlights
Under saves, click on: Jonas Hiller on Ryan Smyth (15:14 in 1st)

Fantastic!

Yep.. I even said that in the GDT... I made a comment that it went from behind the Oilers net to a great scoring chance in front of Hiller in like a total of 2 seconds... well looking at the replay it was 4 seconds so I was a bit off. :)

Amazing play though to get it up the ice cleanly and in front of Hiller that quickly and efficiently.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
The thing I liked about this game was that the Oilers actually BEAT the Ducks in this game.

The Ducks were a determined, chippy team and they got thumped on the ice. They have actual cuts and bruises after this outing (I'm sure the Oilers have a few also) and they know they were in a true blue, honest to goodness "tough game" and the Ducks came out on the losing side.

How many times could we say that this season about the Oilers handing that type of loss to a quality opponent?

If they play like that game in and game out... win or lose, I'll honestly enjoy every game AND I think they will be much closer to a playoff team with consistent efforts like this.

This was a hard game... both teams played with an edge and the Ducks certainly weren't floating and resting... they wanted those 2 points and the Oilers denied them.

Solid effort. Was it perfect? Of course not... they were outshot and there were some defensive errors BUT they played with some real grit and determination and held their own with a physical, talented division rival and I'm giving them full credit for this win... they fought hard for it and they deserved it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad