GDT: #4 - 01/24/2013 | New York Rangers @ Philadelphia Flyers | 7:00 PM - MSG, NHL NET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killem Dafoe

Hold my baby, man.
Jun 19, 2010
Land of Corn
Far from it right now. McDonagh has been ok; nowhere near last season. Girardi is lost. Staal has been hit or miss. 3rd pair is ugly. Del Zotto is a talented kid but when he's head over heels your best defenseman you got problems.

They are playing far from it, yes. But that doesn't change the fact that this blue line has the potential to be as good as they were last season, which is one of the best in the game.

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC
It doesn't make sense. There is clearly something wrong with them, but whatever it is is not apparent to me at all. Is it conditioning? It's not as though the game they played last year required flawless execution and skill. Is it mental? I really did not anticipate feeling this way about this team this early.

If I was looking at tonight in isolation I would chalk it up to Philly's desperation to get in the W column. Given the lackluster showings since game 1, though, I don't know if I can give our boys the benefit of the doubt here.

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012
Trade Lundqvist.

Not because he's been bad but I remember that was the rallying cry last season when we weren't playing up to snuff, so mind as well get it restarted.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Flat team right now. Captain has to get em going. He'll figure it out. I really think its one or two of those extra effort shifts to get it done.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
To be honest, we played like **** for a big portion of last season too.
But we managed to get W's, which makes it easy to forgive and forget

Problems are the same, cannot keep preasure in the offensive zone and we rely too much on Hank and our D + blocking shots

Exactly.

There is no forecheck. No puck pursuit in the offensive zone. It's all bunker mentality, waiting for a blocked shot and/or a bad pass to lead to a breakout.

Clowes Line

Cally's Chicken Parm
Aug 11, 2010
New Yawk
www.outsidethegarden.com
Well, are you surprised that Hank's been awful these first few games? Sits around on his ass and complains on his twitter.

****ing compete! Wake up! You're supposed to be professionals, all of you!

No, I'm not surprised, but he at least skated almost every day and kept in game shape throughout the lockout. Frolunda wouldn't let him come and leave. Not his fault.

Tonight though, we're seeing the real Hank, and what I hope is not the real Rangers.

charlie460

Stone Age Hockey
Nov 25, 2011
Norway
If I was looking at tonight in isolation I would chalk it up to Philly's desperation to get in the W column. Given the lackluster showings since game 1, though, I don't know if I can give our boys the benefit of the doubt here.

Even tonight, it is definitely more than that. They are entirely lackluster, there's no spark, it's just downright embarrassing. I won't try to pinpoint what the problem is, but clearly there's a big one.

Killem Dafoe

Hold my baby, man.
Jun 19, 2010
Land of Corn
Yes, it was my (not so) subtle way of asking for advice. :sarcasm:

I don't live anywhere near Hofstra or attend the unviersity, but have heard many people mention rumors in regards to what Callagraves stated. Funny to see it mentioned on this board too.

haha I know man, I just couldn't pass on the joke there. :nod:

Jim Morrison

Aug 4, 2009
No, I'm not surprised, but he at least skated almost every day and kept in game shape throughout the lockout. Frolunda wouldn't let him come and leave. Not his fault.

Tonight though, we're seeing the real Hank, and what I hope is not the real Rangers.

So go find another club. I bet you every single team in the KHL would be interested for example.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I like our top line but I think you gotta look at splitting them for the 3rd. No other line has crossed the blueline tonight.

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
Stepan and Hags have had decent games.

Cally is just trying to do too much. I appreciate it, but the last thing we need now is complicated, and it's biting us.

First line has to be separated in a game like this, if you ask me.

Simplify, simplify, simplify. Touch passes aren't getting it done tonight.

MrEctions

Willy Nilly
Apr 24, 2007
Clinton, Ny
This board is so fricken bipolar. Last night we were awesome, rah rah rah. Tonight, blow the team up, we suck, trade everybody. Its too comical. Its Game 4 of the season.........

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
Yes, it was my (not so) subtle way of asking for advice. :sarcasm:

I don't live anywhere near Hofstra or attend the unviersity, but have heard many people mention rumors in regards to what Callagraves stated. Funny to see it mentioned on this board too.

Maybe the team caught the Red. Would explain some of the skating...

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012
This board is so fricken bipolar. Last night we were awesome, rah rah rah. Tonight, blow the team up, we suck, trade everybody. Its too comical. Its Game 4 of the season.........

I didn't find it awesome having a 5-on-3 and Boston was the one that got more shots than us.

Clowes Line

Cally's Chicken Parm
Aug 11, 2010
New Yawk
www.outsidethegarden.com
So go find another club. I bet you every single team in the KHL would be interested for example.

I agree, although we'll never know. I can see why a club wouldn't want a goalie, whereas forwards and defenseman are more intriguing. Once he leaves, you're left with the goalie you now benched the whole year for him, whereas with a skater, you just plug in one guy from the bench, but the rest of the line-up is the same.

Dangleberry

Feb 21, 2012
Queens, NY
I don't know what the strategy is but it seems to be:

-Let the other team fire 10 shots on goal in one shift.
-Try and block as many shots.
-Scramble for a loose puck.
-Make a stretch pass to Gaborik and/or Nash.
-Pray

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
that was some of the worst hockey i've seen any ranger team play in that 2nd period. we have the talent to blow the game open, it doesn't look like this team knows what planet they're on.

Florida Ranger

Bring back Torts!
Sep 2, 2008
Wesley Chapel, FL
Callahan's captaining us into the iceberg. He really needs to stop sucking.

Last season when we started winning, it was great... Now this year, we hit a bump in the road at the start of the year, again, and it's automatically a bad team. It's a great team playing bad. That's all. Like I said last year, it's better this crap get over with now. Four games in six nights. Teams that are no joke either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad