3RD Round - 82nd Overall - Bulat Shafigullin

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
It's because NHL scouts only care about NA and European pro leagues and international tournaments. MHL means less than Hlinka Memorial for them. It's just Shafigulin's numbers were too good to pass, and he played in the KHL a bit. If he was just slightly above PPG in the MHL (which is very good for a 17-18 year old kid), they'd pick him in the 6th round, like Kovalenko.
Not every NHL scouting department has the same resources. There's a lot involved with it. Scouting the smaller leagues of Europe and Russia thoroughly requires a lot more staff among other things.

Scouting is also a skill/profession, and just like other jobs, there's not that many people who are actually good at it.

Teams with limited resources can't afford to look at the MHL extensively.

Kudos to the Kings for even having him on their radar. Some scouting services didn't even have him listed from what I've seen.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Bulat Shafigullin the most interesting forward in the 2018 draft.

most-interesting-man-in-the-world-dos-equis.jpg

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Хоккейный клуб «Нефтехимик» (Нижнекамск)

Interview with Bulat. Nothing especial, he's talking about a lot of work, he's been doing this preseason and his hope to become a KHL starter in this coming season. And how much he was happy, when LAK picked him, so he hopes to play with Kovalchuk one day. And I love interviewer's remark, that junior line Shafigullin - Bikmullin - Hairullin was the best in the last Neftekhimik's scrimmage, scoring 3 goals.

Last edited:

BallPointHammer

Los Angeles Kings - We're Back!
Oct 25, 2006
Maryland
Head scratcher for me with the lack of Russian luck the Kings have always had.

It's ironic and sad how Voynov was the poster child for Lombardi's drafting and development plans only to have his career with the Kings end in his prime. Not just the Russians, but of all the European players drafted since Voynov was, only Kempe has made an impact at the NHL level.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
It's ironic and sad how Voynov was the poster child for Lombardi's drafting and development plans only to have his career with the Kings end in his prime. Not just the Russians, but of all the European players drafted since Voynov was, only Kempe has made an impact at the NHL level.
Let me rephrase that for you, so you do some research next time.

After Voynov, LA had 61 draftpicks [2009-2017] with just 14 prospects from Europe which includes 3 goalies and another 4 players picked in the 6th round or later...

When they are promising they dont come over and when they are already in North-America, they beat up their wifes.

Not much is left to shine...dont you think ?

Last edited:

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
After Voynov, LA had 61 draftpicks [2009-2017] with just 14 prospects from Europe.....

.....which equates to approximately 23% of their draft picks..... there's little "just" about a whopping 23%. I'm "just" saying......

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
.....which equates to approximately 23% of their draft picks..... there's little "just" about a whopping 23%. I'm "just" saying......
ah the good old statistics which you all love so much over there..

That number includes three goalies, two 6th round picks and two 7th round picks.

If you expect those will make an impact, than you set up yourself for dissapointment...yes.

BallPointHammer

Los Angeles Kings - We're Back!
Oct 25, 2006
Maryland
Let me rephrase that for you, so you do some research next time.

After Voynov, LA had 61 draftpicks [2009-2017] with just 14 prospects from Europe which includes 3 goalies and another 4 players picked in the 6th round or later...

When they are promising they dont come over and when they are already in North-America, they beat up their wifes.

Not much is left to shine...dont you think ?
I'm not critcising european players, just pointing out the Kings have had problems getting the best ones to commit to the Kings the way Voynov did. Also, I realize the Russian guys seem to be caught up in contract commitments to their Russian teams. Just saying the Kings should be much more certain with those players. Maybe err on the side of get guys we can sign and have better control of their development. Believe me, I would love to have had Prokhorkin playing for us. Hope that explains things and your being upset is relieved.

Reactions: Frolov 6'3

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad