3on3 ot lineup options

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
Let's play armchair coach for a bit. This team has struggled in the shootout, so what 3on3 ot lineups do you go with?
Mine

Line 1
Marchand-Bergeron-Chara

This setup is great defensively and solid on offense. I could see them just ripping other teams skilled lines apart by catching them out of position defensively.

Line 2
Eriksson-Krejci-Connolly

Defensive awareness from Eriksson, and a north-south type player in Connolly. Pair that with the matrix and you have a combo that can skate lanes and dangle the pants off opposing team.

Line 3
Pasta-Spooner-Krug
Speedy with that killer instinct. I think this 3rd option would skate circles around other teams top lines. They have the speed to back-check effectively against a 2d 1f combo and they can move the puck better than any other line combo on this team.

bizman

Feb 27, 2009
montreal
Let's play armchair coach for a bit. This team has struggled in the shootout, so what 3on3 ot lineups do you go with?
Mine

Line 1
Marchand-Bergeron-Chara

This setup is great defensively and solid on offense. I could see them just ripping other teams skilled lines apart by catching them out of position defensively.

Line 2
Eriksson-Krejci-Connolly

Defensive awareness from Eriksson, and a north-south type player in Connolly. Pair that with the matrix and you have a combo that can skate lanes and dangle the pants off opposing team.

Line 3
Pasta-Spooner-Krug
Speedy with that killer instinct. I think this 3rd option would skate circles around other teams top lines. They have the speed to back-check effectively against a 2d 1f combo and they can move the puck better than any other line combo on this team.

For God's sake, keep Chara off the ice 3 on 3. he will look so out of place with everyone wizzing around the ice.

Spoons, Pasta, Krug.

Bergy, Marchy, Morrow if he makes the cut, if not Trots.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
Marchand/Bergeron/Eriksso - don't really need a d-man with Bergy and Loui out there, saves one of our "mobile" d-men for other combos

Connolly/Krejci/Krug
Pasta/Spooner/XXXX - where XXXX is whatever D-man doesn't look completely out of place 3-on-3

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Spooner-Pasta-Krug

Bergeron-Marchand- Beleskey

Krecji- Eriksson - (Colin)/Krug

play those guys for 5mins but I'll gues we will see Chara and Kelly on the ice :laugh:

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
It's 5 minutes of 3 on 3 now, correct?

I start with Bergeron/Marchand/Krug no matter what. Hopefully that will end most games early. Depending on how the D shakes out I probably leave Krug out there as long he can possibly go and rotate Krejci, Eriksson, Spooner and Pastrnak up front.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
recall one OT last year where it was Pasta/Spooner and Krug on the ice with, I believe Dougie, man was that fun

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
see my post above, I recall vividly Spoons and Pasta out there with Krug and I am almost certain Dougie was the 4th man and that wasn`t under the Sweeney mandate

My guess is that it was pretty much his only choice and everyone else was gassed. I don't think he would willingly like to throw those three out there together, and I don't think I would either, but I'd certainly be intrigued to see how it would go.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
My guess is that it was pretty much his only choice and everyone else was gassed. I don't think he would willingly like to throw those three out there together, and I don't think I would either, but I'd certainly be intrigued to see how it would go.

so you think they were the last 3/4 players who were not "gassed"?? Sorry, half the issue so many have here with Julien (and correct sometimes) is how willing he was to give that 4th line 10-12 mins and all 3 lines played very disciplined minutes. I`m sorry, NOBODY was gassed last year unless I missed a game in and out effort that left me feeling that group left it on the ice more often than not?

I have no issues with fans questioning CJ`s moves, heck, every fan base does it, but I think sometimes even when he does what some fans want him to do, instead of actually acknowledging it, they say much what you did, "he had to", " he was forced to" etc.....

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Wasn't Julien more aggressive last year 4on4 overall?

Would think that he knows he needs the best skaters on ice for 3on3, Chara is not the guy for that.

Spooner-Pasta-Krug is hard to match by any team and like said before it would be atleast fun to watch :laugh:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
here's what I want to see

Eriksson-Krejci-Pastrnak

Marchand-Bergeron-Connolly

Belesky-Spooner-Hayes

three on three I go with the Krejci-Pasta-Krug also

323 Krejci 7

Dec 29, 2010
Mine

Line 1
Marchand-Bergeron-Chara

Line 2
Eriksson-Krejci-Connolly

Line 3
Pasta-Spooner-Krug

Don't like your first line....Chara is way too slow for 3 on 3 play IMO. My first line would be marchand-bergeron-krug

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Bergeron-Marchand-Krug should be the no-brainer first option. Bergeron-Marchand are just way too dominant at puck possession to not always send them out first. Krug actually had among the best underlying numbers in the entire league at 4-on-4, so I think he really benefits from the additional space out there.

After that, it gets really dicey on defense. The other D-men are just too slow to really rely on out there. If Morrow and/or C. Miller make the team, I think they may get a shot. Chara's definitely a concern at 3-on-3 with his speed, but he'll still probably be out there. Seidenberg as well.

We're fine for forwards. I'd think Krejci-Eriksson, Spooner-Pastrnak, and Beleskey (with Kelly, I guess? Kind of thin for center options after the first 3) could all be options you could rely on.

3 forwards seems too abstract. I'd bet on 2 forwards, 1 D-man. I think most teams would do that actually. A 1 forward, 2 D-men set-up seems way too conservative for a 3-on-3 scenario.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
I think it's a crap shoot to some extent coming out of the blocks. We cna speculate what would work, but you've got to see how you're doing against the opponent's combo before really knowing what works.

That said, initially I go for balance. A sound all around C (Bergie) with someone who has some speed (Marchand) and a Dman who can help at both ends...like Hamilton....oh wait... :sarcasm:

Unfortunately I can see Chara getting blown away by fast forwards in a 3 on 3 unless he plays pretty conservatively.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I think it's a crap shoot to some extent coming out of the blocks. We cna speculate what would work, but you've got to see how you're doing against the opponent's combo before really knowing what works.

That said, initially I go for balance. A sound all around C (Bergie) with someone who has some speed (Marchand) and a Dman who can help at both ends...like Hamilton....oh wait... :sarcasm:

Unfortunately I can see Chara getting blown away by fast forwards in a 3 on 3 unless he plays pretty conservatively.

If Chara is on the ice for 3on3 he can't leave 5m mark from Rask, he is a great player but he definitely wasn't build for 3on3.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Krug should be on full time. Then have Bergy-Marchand, Spooner-Pasta and Krejci-Eriksson duos ahead of him. I'm just afraid Claude will put Chara out there because as a captain he has the divine right to be on the ice even when it makes no sense...

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Chris Kelly - Max Talbot
Seidenberg

Claude: "Ok, guys... don't try to score, just try not to get scored on!"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad