Prospect Info: 39th Overall - Zach Ostapchuk (F)

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Ah ok, I stand corrected. I tried looking at larger sample size and didn't realize they started playing at different ages. In that case if ZO becomes JA but also someone who elevates their game in the playoffs (which Anderson does not), I'll be ecstatic with the pick.

I think he's got a good chance of becoming a similar caliber player, he's well ahead of Anderson at the same age imo, but tbh my memory of Anderson at the same age is foggy so there's likely some recency bias going on. I liked what I saw from Ostapchuk even early in the season when the numbers weren't there, he seemed to be doing the right things but just not getting the payoff on the scoresheet. Reminds me of when people criticized Tkachuks production from his draft year but failed to recognize all the fundamentals where there to produce a lot more.
Sure evaluation is high, but no one will say he's a 1C or 2C. They'll say he's a 3C who plays better in playoffs. That's my point, you'll be laughed at if you say JGP is a 1C or 2C.
Nobody is suggesting Pageau is a bonified #1 or a #2 center, you might find those that see him as a middle six guy though because he can fill in on a second line in case of injury. That's basically what a middle six guy is, a high end third liner that can step up from time to time on the 2nd. One thing is for sure though, you'll get laughed at if you call him a 4th liner.
Middle six might be much. He's a 3rd/4th line guy who can play up the line up is short bursts. Middle six guy to me is someone who can consistently play in either 2nd or 3rd. I don't think you'll see Paul on the second line at the start of the year at TB, nor playing there more than a handful of games.
Why do you keep saying 4th liner, Paul hasn't played 4th line at all in the last two years but has gotten significant time in the top 6. I agree in his case, he likely will not maintain middle six level performance he did with Tbay even if that's what he's been used as over the last two years, but he's pretty solidly a third liner if you ask me. People often overestimate how much production to expect from a 2nd line. If there are 192 top 6 players (6*32 teams) last year's pts per game at that cutoff is at about a 41 pts pace. Paul comes a little short while Pageau is usually right around there.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I look forward to seeing ZO and TB head to head at Xmas.

I’m worried about ZO’s pace - he looks slow. It will be good to see him with the many of the 2020-21’s aged out.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018

Nice article on Ostapchuk. Discusses how he lost his father when he was 13 and, as an only child, was supported by his mother and acted as a support for her. Describes Zack as a uniquely humble, low-maintenance, detailed, team-first player with a "sweet" disposition and intrinsic worth ethic. Talks a bit about how he came onto the radar for Jr. A, the W, the NHL draft, and the WJC team.

Seems like a very good kid. Very easy to cheer for. Excited to see him in a few weeks and to see him turn pro.

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto
1A897134-2955-4B36-A024-177D8D7E5646.jpeg

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Stats don’t look too hot but I loved his game. Coach relied on him heavily in crucial situations and he has all the makings of a solid NHL 3rd liner.

Stats at this level of competition in such a short tourney only mean so much. Every 2 CHL teams have 1 player between them of world junior caliber, these guys absolutely feast on CHL competition, but when they have to play a full squad of this caliber, you have to be extraordinarily good to put up stats, especially when you have an entirely different role.

I'd look more to the CHL stats to get an idea of where he is at. He is about 1.5 PPG CHL player and leading his team which is very good (which as a 19 yr old and second round pick he should). Generally that translates to a 3rd/4th liner potential in the NHL, and that makes sense for the role he played on the world junior team.

Not a sure fire NHLer, but what impressed me the most was his engagement level in a role that he would not be playing in the CHL. He flawlessly moved from the first line scoring leader to a third line energy role, those are the type of players that are hard to find in the draft. All the "busts" as we call them lacked this ability, but this kid seems to have it.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I love stats without context of role. Any coach who watched Ostapchuk during the tournament got a stiffy.

Ostpapchuk can do so many things but I didn’t know he was this good.

Just the thought of D.J., Jack Capuano eating a football sub, Sean Donovan, Jesse Winchester all having stiffys together watching the finals is what coaching is all about. Nobody has to say anything, they just know what the others are thinking

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Also, imagine getting traded from Vancouver to Winnipeg in early January. I hope his new team at least bought the kid a coat...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad