GDT: #38| Toronto Maple Leafs @ Your Columbus Blue Jackets | 12-28-18

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I will need to see the advanced stats before I jump to a conclusion

I've been told we actually dominated the Pittsburgh series we lost 4-1

You're joking obviously. It doesn't take a website to tell you that the Jackets looked sick and tired as the game wore on. A lot of bloodless faces on the bench, feet not moving on the ice. Even the shift where Panarin scored, if the puck didn't go right to them they wouldn't have made it there.

The website will tell you that the Jackets had more chances, but it was more of a case of the Leafs holding a lead all game and neither team had that many chances, to the advantage of the leading team.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

Yes, but the great teams finish their chances. The CBJ ring them off the post or miss the net completely. We have an uncanny ability to make backup goaltenders look like Vezina winners. They "might" have dominated or at least looked comparable in some stats tonight but the fact is the Leafs took advantage of their opportunities and it happens too often.

onetimerguy

Jul 17, 2018
What is the one word to describe tonights game. I go with outclassed. What's your one word (keep it clean)

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Jackets has 5% PP in December. 5! They had 2 PP goals in all December. Last in the league, they are 0-20 on PP in last 8 games.
Going into tonight they were 1 for 30. When we ran the poll earlier this year there were a few who felt Larsen shouldn’t be fired. I’d be curious to hear their case “in defense of Larsen”.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Going into tonight they were 1 for 30. When we ran the poll earlier this year there were a few who felt Larsen shouldn’t be fired. I’d be curious to hear their case “in defense of Larsen”.
I think at this point this guy goes as extension to Torts, so as long Torts is here so is Larsen. I mean he phraised him(!) for his work with defenders when we were leaking odd man rushes and goals against like Meghan Markel father. They are blaming players, apparently we don't have talent to have good PP. Ok then, what do this teams have we don't?(forgot to strike Rags too) Yes, compentent coaching. Plus Torts teams were always bad on PP. Always. He's fine as it is.

d1af2c84a681bc368194b4bbaa563fc8-full.jpg

major major

Feb 18, 2013

Be fired as PP coach? I do agree, of course.

That doesn't necessarily require him to be fired as an assistant coach. The Jackets only have 2 assistant coaches, some clubs have 3. I'd like to see the club bring in a new PP coach, what they do with Larsen I don't have an opinion on.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Tonight's takeaway: we don't have the talent to win regularly against the likes of Toronto, Tampa and Washington.

I agree. Currently 2-4 against them. Overall team speed is big factor vs TB & Toronto. Offensive skill is behind all three. Power play -nevermind. Looking ahead even if Bread & Bob re-sign I don't see it changing until Ovie retires or significantly declines although Washigton is probably the one team of the three the Jackets are the closest to.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
Jackets were tired and that stupid early PP goal set the mood for the rest of the game. Offense was very unlucky a couple of times as well.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I think it is funny that everyone is somehow leaving Pittsburgh out of this elite team discussion and only focusing on WAS, TBL and TML. A team that is 7-2-1 in their last 10 and still have a ton more talent than the CBJ does and a team they still can't beat when it counts.

I hate the Pens but let's call a spade a spade.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
I think it is funny that everyone is somehow leaving Pittsburgh out of this elite team discussion and only focusing on WAS, TBL and TML. A team that is 7-2-1 in their last 10 and still have a ton more talent than the CBJ does and a team they still can't beat when it counts.

I hate the Pens but let's call a spade a spade.

There is no reason we should expect anything different if we meet them in the playoffs.

4-1 or 4-0 loss in the series

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
Guys some of you are emotionally even less stable than girls during their periods. Im just saying! Does it really take just one back to back loss against a well rested team to jump to despair? Especially after a nice winning streak?

Yes, the top line had a night off, but such things happen. It doesnt mean anything. A 4:0 loss to aged/slower Pens is as much desperation as I have seen here for a while.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I will need to see the advanced stats before I jump to a conclusion

The series 2 years back was the closest lopsided series ive ever seen. I honestly outside of 1 for aure game maybe 2 thought we were outplayed the others were bounces.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
There is no reason we should expect anything different if we meet them in the playoffs.

4-1 or 4-0 loss in the series

How did this club ever win a playoff game, or even two of them? They were terrible last night.

Could it be that they aren't that bad? They were barely skating as the game wore on, perhaps don't judge what the team can do based on their lowest performances.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Last 10 games:

Dubinsky 0-0-0 -4 11 SOG
Wennberg 0-3-3 +1 9 SOG
Nash 0-0-0 -3 10 SOG

3 of 4 centers with no goals. 2 centers with o points. Combined average 3 SOG per game. PLD only has 1 goal in his last 12 games, but has 6 assists in those games.

Not a recipe for success. Get on it, Jarmo. This team ain't goin nowhere as currently configured-unless having garbage 2,3 and 4Cs is the new model for NHL success.

Last edited:
Reactions: MoeBartoli

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
Last 10 games:

Dubinsky 0-0-0 -4 11 SOG
Wennberg 0-3-3 +1 9 SOG
Nash 0-0-0 -3 10 SOG

3 of 4 centers with no goals. 2 centers with o points. Combined average 3 SOG per game. PLD only has 1 goal in his last 12 games, but has 6 assists in those games.

Not a recipe for success. Get on it, Jarmo. This team ain't goin nowhere as currently configured-unless having garbage 2,3 and 4Cs is the new model for NHL success.

yet they proved that they CAN be a capable squad vs 3x future SC winners, its not like they were blown out each time.

Could it be a question of proper motivation or lack thereof by Torts?

Also: why is Dubinski making 5.8m? I mean I have watched him play quite a lot and I simply dont get what it is that he brings to the table thats worth that much cap space.

I know why Im not running a hockey team, because well Id throw him out as a buyout.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad