Post-Game Talk: #38: Canadiens at Flyers, Tuesday, January 5, 2016

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Generally a good game. The Flyers had a big edge in most stats, generated a ton of pressure and put in 4. But the VdV and White TOI is ridiculous. There is just no reason to be continuously putting them out there on OZ faceoffs and pivotal times in the game. Not that Laughton is grabbing his opportunity by the throat. The Laughton line is the de facto 4th.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Would have been even nicer if we did not have to see a bunch of 4th liners play as much as our top six wingers...

Definitely felt like I saw just as much White as I did Giroux. So strange. Oh well..a win is a win.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Nice to see Ghost bounce back. He was awesome tonight. The top 2 lines were both very good tonight. Coots continues to roll. 9 points in his past 8 games.

Luke was awful tonight. Something bad happened every other time he touched the puck. No way in hell should he be playing over Medvedev.

Very nice win overall. The PP and PK came through and the effort was consistent.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Someone needs to ask Hakstol why the Bellemare line is playing as much as they do. I really want to know.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
He doesn't trust Laughton and Umberger.

Definitely felt like I saw just as much White as I did Giroux. So strange. Oh well..a win is a win.

The fancy stats are weird and not good, so I closed the page and went back to the regular stats. :laugh:

I'll take 4-3.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
71b7953afca6d152f3b5631adefcb578.jpg

Welcome to the party, thanks for not blowing it there ________

I can't remember Neuvirth's first name.

It's probably Stan

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Someone asked in the GDT the last time the Flyers scored four goals without Giroux or Voracek getting points. It could be a 4-1 win at Calgary on Dec. 31, 2013. In that is at least an instance the feat happened.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
One post-game article:

Goalie Michal Neuvirth says he wasn’t channeling his inner Ron Hextall when he gloved the puck down and tried to clear it toward an empty net with a one-goal lead in the waning seconds of the game.

“I knew that time was ticking and I just was trying to clear the zone,” said Neuvirth, who made 21 saves.

The puck hit Canadiens captain Max Pacioretty in the groin and was cleared away from the slot before it could go behind Neuvirth. It was nearly a very costly mistake and the Flyers have had quite a few recently.

“I blacked out,” Neuvirth joked. “I don’t remember.”

http://www.courierpostonline.com/st...akes-helps-flyers-end-losing-streak/78339446/

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
No two plays are going to be exact replicas and direct comparisons come to a virtual stop when comparing a regular season game in January to Game 6 of a Stanley Cup Finals. But when certain plays stand the course of time, approaching 30 years in this memory, they tend to be retrieved at the slightest instance.
Yeah, gotcha. It wasn't as terrible a decision but it sure was a scary one. :amazed:

Looks like I'm wearing my Flyers cap into work tomorrow.

Do you work at Papa Johns?

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
Someone asked in the GDT the last time the Flyers scored four goals without Giroux or Voracek getting points. It could be a 4-1 win at Calgary on Dec. 31, 2013. In that is at least an instance the feat happened.
Thanks, MSE. You didn't have to stay up all night scanning through all the box scores though. ;)

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
Great all around game.some of my thoughts:

1st line (besides simmonds pp) didn't get on the score sheet but looked deadly. That second line complimented them well. Coots and Schenn always play well together, maybe they will get an extended look. With that we have (unless we give Laughton a try on lw) raffl is the best option there with them right now.

L.schenn and Shultz had tough games. Shultz I personally think needs to sit a few and basically get rotated with Schenn. Streit has some rust no doubt but he is a good player and it will come together.

Was mentioning this with some comments with MSE that milbury pretty much called white peb and vdv ahlers and 4th liners at best. I agree. PEB and white are 4th liners. VDV is ahler. And our other line stinks. Hak loves that "4th" line chemistry but plays them like a 3rd and it needs to stop. He needs to mix and mash these 2 to make something more productive.

Personally i am tired of the obsessions he has with players. Manning needs to be waived for cousins or leier (I'd even give Straka a shot) and vdv needs to join Vinny.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Statistically, Luke had the rougher night. The only guy worse was Read whose Corsi numbers were incredibly bad. But since that's an aberration for him this season, I won't get too concerned unless it becomes a trend.

Looking deeper, Luke somehow had 1 CF and 9 CA in the one minute he spent playing with MDZ. That must have been a terrible shift.

http://www.naturalstattrick.com/game.php?season=20152016&game=20591

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
My takeaway from last night is to be even more optimistic about adding the prospects to the current lineup, considering how well the top two lines played, along with Gostisbehere and Gudas. Some definitely viable options for the goshawful bottom two lines are already in the system, and we know of the promising upgrades on the blue line. It gives me hope that the return to competitiveness is not far off.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Schultz has been bad all season, he gets tough assignments, but does nothing with them that justifies that trust.

Right now I have the most confidence in MDZ - Gudas on defense, what I want to know is why Gudas can consistently block puck carriers at the blue line but the rest of the defense is forced to retreat. Gudas must have a puck GPS system between his ears.

Streit looks cooked, give him a few games to see if it's just post-injury or if father time has caught up, but there's a reason I wanted to trade him last summer, as Branch Rickey used to say, better to trade a player a year early than a year late.

Hakstol only has three lines he can trust, though White isn't the "prize" that some thought off a month or two last season, like most players, he's reverted to his career norm. I think Leier is a better player, but right now probably not physically mature enough to play 80 games at the NHL level. Next season . . .

If the Flyers were a true playoff team, guys like Cousins, Leier and Straka might be up (and if they had any cap room), but I think Hextall will grin and bear it this season - but you could replace a half dozen players on this team with rookies next year and not miss a beat.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Streit had a very good game. You're so desperate for your Streit-is-done narrative to come true that you can't objectively assess his performances.

wuf

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
White took back to back penalties, one of which was a reckless cross check. Dude is on the ice too much.

Simmonds had a handful of opportunities but the Habs played some good D. Ghost's shot is just great to have from the blue line. He did make some fumbles behind his own net but it seemed like a lack of communication. He'll iron that stuff out.

Oh and that first goal where Umberger blocked the shot and then just STOOD THERE, that was amazing. Nope, don't skate for it Umby, why would you do that?

I think Neuvirth played okay, he didn't have a ton of shots against him and the ones that did go in were kinda fluky. I really wish he played better considering he's on my fantasy team ;)

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
Statistically, Luke had the rougher night. The only guy worse was Read whose Corsi numbers were incredibly bad. But since that's an aberration for him this season, I won't get too concerned unless it becomes a trend.

Looking deeper, Luke somehow had 1 CF and 9 CA in the one minute he spent playing with MDZ. That must have been a terrible shift.

http://www.naturalstattrick.com/game.php?season=20152016&game=20591

That was after a mtl PP and the puck was pinned in Flyers zone. It wasn't a bad shift by the two. If I member right there should of been a penalty because Schenn got his stick held.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad