Post-Game Talk: #38: Canadiens at Flyers, Tuesday, January 5, 2016

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Streit had a very good game. You're so desperate for your Streit-is-done narrative to come true that you can't objectively assess his performances.

Not from what I saw, he didn't do anything that stood out. Had some mistakes when paired with Schultz and really was just there, nothing more.

He's not close to the guy he was the first half of last season, maybe it's just recovery time, but I'd say the onus is on him to step up.

Part of the problem is that Ghost fills his role better than Streit could even in his prime time with the Flyers, so what role does Streit have that justifies his $5+M contract? Ghost may make more than his share of defensive miscues, but offensively he's an elite player - when was the last time you could use the words Streit and elite in the same sentence?

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Not from what I saw, he didn't do anything that stood out. Had some mistakes when paired with Schultz and really was just there, nothing more.

He's not close to the guy he was the first half of last season, maybe it's just recovery time, but I'd say the onus is on him to step up.

Part of the problem is that Ghost fills his role better than Streit could even in his prime time with the Flyers, so what role does Streit have that justifies his $5+M contract? Ghost may make more than his share of defensive miscues, but offensively he's an elite player - when was the last time you could use the words Streit and elite in the same sentence?
Streit was a no show last night. He has no role here anymore with ghost taking top pp minutes.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Last season when he had 52 points, 9th most in the league for dmen, and 30 PP points, 1st in the league for dmen.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?rep...15&gameType=2&sort=ppPoints&aggregate=1&pos=D

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
Good to see Ghost bounce back after a rough west trip. I was impressed with him defensively last night.

He is not gonna be a guy who pushes you off the puck with the body, but he will make those quick plays with his stick that gets the puck away and that's okay. Im seeing it more often now and it is impressing me more and more

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
As far as time for lines, I think this reflects more the lack of trust in the 4th line, which not only plays the least, but Laughton and Umberger have limited ST duties - which puts a lot of pressure on the first three lines (Read does PK). So I think Hakstol is trying to spread the work load around to keep his top players fresh - Giroux plays on every unit, so if you play him too much on ES early, is he available for PP and PK duties when the game is on the line? And Giroux is your only center who can win faceoffs - do you want him doing so in the D-zone or O-zone - probably depends on the score.

The real problem is Hakstol needs 2 or 3 more competent forwards.

The problem with Streit isn't that he's awful (he was pre-surgery), but what value does he have for this team given his salary. Other than allowing you to bench Manning, Schultz or Schenn (and if you trade him, you can bring up MacDonald and dump these guys!).

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/r...still-on-hunt-for-defenseman-top-six-forward/

We fleeced them once, let's do it again!

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
As far as time for lines, I think this reflects more the lack of trust in the 4th line, which not only plays the least, but Laughton and Umberger have limited ST duties - which puts a lot of pressure on the first three lines (Read does PK). So I think Hakstol is trying to spread the work load around to keep his top players fresh - Giroux plays on every unit, so if you play him too much on ES early, is he available for PP and PK duties when the game is on the line? And Giroux is your only center who can win faceoffs - do you want him doing so in the D-zone or O-zone - probably depends on the score.

The real problem is Hakstol needs 2 or 3 more competent forwards.

The problem with Streit isn't that he's awful (he was pre-surgery), but what value does he have for this team given his salary. Other than allowing you to bench Manning, Schultz or Schenn (and if you trade him, you can bring up MacDonald and dump these guys!).

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/r...still-on-hunt-for-defenseman-top-six-forward/

We fleeced them once, let's do it again!
Actually the Hawks would be a good fit but I don't believe that they have the room for him on the cap or with the # of contracts. Maybe with Sundblad in Europe now, they do have some flexibility.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Actually the Hawks would be a good fit but I don't believe that they have the room for him on the cap or with the # of contracts. Maybe with Sundblad in Europe now, they do have some flexibility.

Do they have anyone with one year left on their contract they'd like to dump?

kingjmusicman

Jan 4, 2016
Klefbom. 107 games. 7 goals.
Gostisbehere. 24 games. 7 goals.
Different players yes, thankfully different contracts as well.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Good to see Ghost bounce back after a rough west trip. I was impressed with him defensively last night.

He is not gonna be a guy who pushes you off the puck with the body, but he will make those quick plays with his stick that gets the puck away and that's okay. Im seeing it more often now and it is impressing me more and more

he is still a rookie getting used to the pace of the pro game. He is going to have his ups and downs like any other young player. just keep sending him out there. with his high hockey IQ he will learn from his mistakes.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Lots of elite point producers have negative +/-. Burns, Faulk, Barrie, Weber, OEL, Shattenkirk, etc. All ES liabilities going by your logic.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?rep...2016&gameType=2&sort=points&aggregate=1&pos=D

You asked "when was the last time you could use the words Streit and elite in the same sentence?". If leading the league in PP scoring by dmen just last season doesn't qualify as being elite in that capacity, I don't know what would.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Streit is nowhere close to what he is capable of. Not exactly a liability but not a difference maker either.

It will take him more time to get back in shape. He is 38 years old and just came back after missing a long time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad