Post-Game Talk: #36 | Thur., Dec. 22 | PHI 0 at NJ 4 | Raffl out 1-2 weeks, Mason "minor back injury"

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I really liked Hakstol's comments. We were gassed. 36 games in 69 nights including 9 back to backs. Didn't see the game but he had their backs on a bad night.

https://www.nhl.com/flyers/video/postgame-at-njd-hakstol-speaks/t-277517952/c-47663303

At the start of the year we would have all been happy with a Christmas stat line like this:

36GP 20W 12L 4OTL 44Pts

16ROW 110GF 108GA +2diff home12-5-3 road8-7-1 4-3shootout record and Last10games7-2-1

Merry Christmas lads, enjoy the WJC, then get back at it.

Merry Christmas, and thank the NHL that we aren't doing that crazy stretch to lead into the playoffs this year. Much better to have it out of the way early.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I really liked Hakstol's comments. We were gassed. 36 games in 69 nights including 9 back to backs. Didn't see the game but he had their backs on a bad night.

https://www.nhl.com/flyers/video/postgame-at-njd-hakstol-speaks/t-277517952/c-47663303

At the start of the year we would have all been happy with a Christmas stat line like this:

36GP 20W 12L 4OTL 44Pts

16ROW 110GF 108GA +2diff home12-5-3 road8-7-1 4-3shootout record and Last10games7-2-1

I agree. That's a great interview. You can tell he's not happy at all with how the game went, but he's not throwing the team under the bus and he's giving them credit for how they've handled the schedule overall. A perfect response.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010

36GP 20W 12L 4OTL 44Pts

For all he can do that might be frustrating, Hakstol is definitely one of the most well-spoken coaches in the league. Probably right up there with Jon Cooper in my book.

If I could sit down and pick his brain and ask about some of the genuinely bewildering decisions he makes, I feel like he could actually articulate a thoughtful argument that wouldn't drive me mad. I can't say the same for guys like Berube, Michel Therrien, Dan Bylsma, etc. who always speak in hackneyed cliches and platitudinous nonsense. Hakstol actually seems to have a fully-functioning brain, which puts him ahead of most NHL coaches AFAIC. :laugh:

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
For all he can do that might be frustrating, Hakstol is definitely one of the most well-spoken coaches in the league. Probably right up there with Jon Cooper in my book.

If I could sit down and pick his brain and ask about some of the genuinely bewildering decisions he makes, I feel like he could actually articulate a thoughtful argument that wouldn't drive me mad. I can't say the same for guys like Berube, Michel Therrien, Dan Bylsma, etc. who always speak in hackneyed cliches and platitudinous nonsense. Hakstol actually seems to have a fully-functioning brain, which puts him ahead of most NHL coaches AFAIC. :laugh:

That's one reason I always say that even though I don't agree with every personnel decision Hakstol makes, I feel he has legitimate bases for what he does (even if I am unaware of the specifics). He's sure no idiot. And I think he knows how to strike the right balance between demanding and reasonable.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
That's harsh ... but accurate.
I'm in Cambodia right now and I went to a house in a village the other day and ate snake that they prepared for me. It was a rough time to say the least. Thank God for beer. This place is crazy; I don't know if I could live in this area of the world for too long without getting in some kind of trouble. :laugh:

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
It is very disappointing to lose against this team, they were on what? 6-7 losing streak. The break is coming in the right time. Hakstol got it right in his post-game interview, got to agree with him.

Hope the team will regroup and come strong with Couturier, Read fully healthy.

If Raffl is still out and Couturier, Read are healthy, how could look the line-up?

Schenn-Giroux-Voracek
Konecny-Couturier-Simmonds
Read-Cousins-Weise
VandeVelde-Bellemare-Leier

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Pretty happy with my decision to stop watching the game after the first goal.

Raffl should miss at most three games, so that's not so bad.

1 Timer

Aug 23, 2009
Howell, NJ
I was at the game and watched Simmons very closely. He took himself out of the game last night. I get his attitude helps his play but Wes McCauley was singling him out the whole game so as a player you have to skate away. Maybe a history there?

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
frankly we were overdue for that type of game
good time to regroup, get healthy, enjoy the holiday and look toward a strong '17

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It is very disappointing to lose against this team, they were on what? 6-7 losing streak. The break is coming in the right time. Hakstol got it right in his post-game interview, got to agree with him.

Hope the team will regroup and come strong with Couturier, Read fully healthy.

If Raffl is still out and Couturier, Read are healthy, how could look the line-up?

Schenn-Giroux-Voracek
Konecny-Couturier-Simmonds
Read-Cousins-Weise
VandeVelde-Bellemare-Leier

Noooooo way Schenn should be back on the top line. He killed it last time and that won't change. Put him on the third line and put someone else on the top line. Almost anyone else...

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
Pretty happy with my decision to stop watching the game after the first goal.

Raffl should miss at most three games, so that's not so bad.

I did the same thing after the lame giveaway by Giroux and the terrible attempt to prevent Wood from scoring. Really dislike Haks imo overuse of Mason and apparent lack of understanding of the pulse of the team. Stolarz is a Jersey boy and it would of meant a lot to him to start in front of his home town fans. I think the team was ripe for a letdown and many here called it ahead of time and i think they may have rallied around Stolarz and played with more intensity.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Loved that interview with Hakstol. It pulled me closer to being back in his fan club. Honestly if VandeVelde just dissapeared I think I could live with anything else.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I did the same thing after the lame giveaway by Giroux and the terrible attempt to prevent Wood from scoring. Really dislike Haks imo overuse of Mason and apparent lack of understanding of the pulse of the team. Stolarz is a Jersey boy and it would of meant a lot to him to start in front of his home town fans. I think the team was ripe for a letdown and many here called it ahead of time and i think they may have rallied around Stolarz and played with more intensity.

Yeah I was hoping for a Stolie start for exactly that reason. I knew theyd be gassed and would need a change as a motivator to push through that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad