Prospect Info: #36 - Shai Buium

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
Skating in the NCAA is not skating in the NHL though. That's always the trick with these prospects, is projecting their skillsets to the highest level. When I watch Buium in college hockey, I see a guy who skates well enough to be good in college hockey. I even see a guy who skates well enough to get a contract. What I don't see is a guy who skates well enough to succeed in the NHL.

It can be hard to see skating deficiencies at lower levels because they aren't a problem there, the player isn't getting burned. But when I watch Buium's edges and first three steps, and project that in the NHL, I see him getting abused. I hope he improves in those areas, but improving enough to "make it" is more the exception than the rule.
I agree, in that I don't really see an NHL player here and was a little surprised with the pick at the time. (Still like him better than the Dylan James pick) That said, I do think he is worth signing and hopefully he improves his deficiencies. (If we have a contract available). Not an exact comparison, but I remember 15+ years ago, I asked a buddy of mine who was drafted by san jose out of BC or BU about nyqusit. I he said he was a good college player, but would never make it in the NHL. Very skilled he said, but to small for his speed. Granted, Adam wasn't a scout, but skated against the same talent. All opinions have a level of value and my would be to sign him and hopefully develop him further, but not at the expense of prospects we value more.

Reactions: Rolo Tomassi

Crunchy

Jan 27, 2020
I agree, in that I don't really see an NHL player here and was a little surprised with the pick at the time. (Still like him better than the Dylan James pick) That said, I do think he is worth signing and hopefully he improves his deficiencies. (If we have a contract available). Not an exact comparison, but I remember 15+ years ago, I asked a buddy of mine who was drafted by san jose out of BC or BU about nyqusit. I he said he was a good college player, but would never make it in the NHL. Very skilled he said, but to small for his speed. Granted, Adam wasn't a scout, but skated against the same talent. All opinions have a level of value and my would be to sign him and hopefully develop him further, but not at the expense of prospects we value more.
If you've watched him this season, I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on why you don't see an NHL projection. Personally, I've never seen him live.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I always thought Tuomisto our worst second round pick, but look at him now , he is second best defender in GR.
We don't know if Buium is NHL in the future until he actually tries to play there.

Reactions: lgrws91

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I agree, he’s certainly worth betting on with a contract. There’s tools here, and runway left. If he can improve in areas he’s deficient, however unlikely it is, you’ll have a player.

Nyquist was a similar case, but I followed him closely in college and was way higher on him than Buium. Nyquist had an IQ and a motor that heavily mitigated his average skating. He was thinking the game ahead of the players around him. I’m not saying Buium has a low hockey IQ, but I don’t think it’s a strength either, from what I’ve seen (admittedly, I’ve watched a lot less of Buium in college than I did Nyquist).

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
Hearing some talk that although Shai is a lefty, he likes playing on the right side.

Anyone watch Denver enough to confirm how much he plays on the right? Certainly adds to his value if he can.

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
I agree, he’s certainly worth betting on with a contract. There’s tools here, and runway left. If he can improve in areas he’s deficient, however unlikely it is, you’ll have a player.

Nyquist was a similar case, but I followed him closely in college and was way higher on him than Buium. Nyquist had an IQ and a motor that heavily mitigated his average skating. He was thinking the game ahead of the players around him. I’m not saying Buium has a low hockey IQ, but I don’t think it’s a strength either, from what I’ve seen (admittedly, I’ve watched a lot less of Buium in college than I did Nyquist).
Agreed. I liked nyqusit too; was very excited. I was just using him as an example of a guy some thought would never play a single game in the NHL and thought maybe Adam, having been drafted, would emphasize that point and only that!!!

Reactions: jaster

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
If you've watched him this season, I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on why you don't see an NHL projection. Personally, I've never seen him live.
No never, sorry, but do try to find and watch what whatever I can. AND not just highlights.
And I like him since the draft, but not overly impressed. I don't see IQ issues, that was the other guy, and I would definitely sign him if we have one available. It's just nothing great for me, nothing that puts him over the nhl cut guaranteed. Good skater, good size, good pass. I say good IQ. And like I keep saying, yes sign him, because I do see potential.

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
Was wondering the same, could maybe help the Griffs with their playoff run, eat up some of Simon's minutes if he doesn't go back?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad