34th Overall Andrew Peeke

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
What ever happened to him? I haven't heard anything in awhile.

Didn't have a good sophomore year at Minnesota. His head coach had some published quotes about his struggles. He was a healthy scratch for Minnesota this season. Was also cut from the USA World Juniors team. Seems to be a flop of a pick.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
I hope the next GM favors a "find the most talented players possible" strategy rather than ones that fit into some vague organizational description. Do the Blackhawks and Red Wings have a type of player they like to draft? Because that seems like a better plan to follow since it results in a winning team.

You're kidding right?

Both teams definitely have a type of player and draft accordingly. You have to be joking.

I hope.

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012
You're kidding right?

Both teams definitely have a type of player and draft accordingly. You have to be joking.

I hope.

I was complimenting those organizations. I am sure they have a plan and it should be copied by Columbus since it seems to result in finding more impact players in the draft than the Columbus plan has done to date.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
You know I'm going to be a total jackass right now.

Listening to some of you, why don't we just let the scouts pick the consensus and have the CBJ on auto-draft.

Holy crap that is just so much *****ing and moaning.

I bet statistically the auto-draft would even out to a pretty good hit percentage.

jacketsinDC

Mar 8, 2011
Seattle
I don't mind that they ranked him where they did, or picked him, but it seems not-too-smart that they didn't trade down and get a few more picks out of their surprise 3rd overall and 2nd round picks. They could have gotten both guys lower and scored something like a second and third round pick, by trading down. I hope they find a solution to this organizational lack of common sense.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I don't mind that they ranked him where they did, or picked him, but it seems not-too-smart that they didn't trade down and get a few more picks out of their surprise 3rd overall and 2nd round picks. They could have gotten both guys lower and scored something like a second and third round pick, by trading down. I hope they find a solution to this organizational lack of common sense.

Jarmo has traded down before when he wasn't that in to the pick. But the publicly available lists aren't that similar to the actual team lists, so if you like a player enough (they had Peeke mid first) you take him.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005

We have no clue if they could have gotten them lower. The staff does a ton of work to know as much as they can about each player and when they might get picked. I feel extremely confident they would have traded down if they were confident they could still get the player or if they had other players ranked equally. They obviously didn't think they could, so they stayed where they were and took the player they liked. I am glad they did that. There isn't much worse than trading down and not getting the player you wanted.

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
apparently Peeke was graded as a "mid-1st rounder" by CBJ scouting staff and Jarmo

Reminds me of this comedy:

Blue Jackets general manager Jarmo Kekalainen said he spent the better part of yesterday morning trying to move up in the draft order.

“I didn’t think we had any chance to get Collins at No. 47, not with his size and skill set,†Kekalainen said. “We got lucky on this one.â€

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com...9/jackets-no-2-pick-has-good-connections.html

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad