GDT: #34| Montreal Canadiens @ New York Islanders | December 14th | 7:00pm | F/OTL 1-0

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island
I cannot fathom how Capuano still has his job. **** getting a point here or there, or being in a few games until the end. 0 regulation or OT wins since November 12th. No coach in any marginally professional sport should have his job with those results.

imetbossy

Mar 13, 2012
Vanek is invisible...believe me this guy can play harder and can skate faster ... he should be traded asap and Nelson put on that line w JT and OK ... Horrible trade..

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
I'm watching the Boston-Vancouver game.

Nucks were up 1-0, then started taking shifts off. Weak backchecks, turnovers etc....Bruins eventually tied it up off a soft play/bad pinch.

Torts lost his **** on the bench and tore his team a new *******.

It's 3-1 Vancouver now.

Tavares2TheRescue

#JreeFroadwayBay
Feb 6, 2010
Champaign, IL/LI, NY

Nucks were up 1-0, then started taking shifts off. Weak backchecks, turnovers etc....Bruins eventually tied it up off a soft play/bad pinch.

It's 3-1 Vancouver now.

I've always wondered what it's like to have an actual NHL coach...

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
I cannot fathom how Capuano still has his job. **** getting a point here or there, or being in a few games until the end. 0 regulation or OT wins since November 12th. No coach in any marginally professional sport should have his job with those results.

He has a job because he is toeing the party line. If Cappy is fired, then it will mean Snow and Wang have to trump before the media explaining why he was fired. Reality is, this team was dead in the water 100% due to Wang and his cheapness this summer.

The Vanek deal was a bet: Can the Isles either resign him or, if not, can they get MORE for him than Moulson as an impending UFA since teams doubted whether Moulson could produce without JT?

Vanek is a tool to improve the team through ANOTHER acquisition, not actually keeping him as a player.

Bexlyspeed

May 21, 2011
Astoria, Queens, N.Y
He has a job because he is toeing the party line. If Cappy is fired, then it will mean Snow and Wang have to trump before the media explaining why he was fired. Reality is, this team was dead in the water 100% due to Wang and his cheapness this summer.

The Vanek deal was a bet: Can the Isles either resign him or, if not, can they get MORE for him than Moulson as an impending UFA since teams doubted whether Moulson could produce without JT?

Vanek is a tool to improve the team through ANOTHER acquisition, not actually keeping him as a player.

where is our leverage though? everyone knows we will be desperate to trade him. and we must trade him! so how can we win? Garth never fleeces anyone in a trade.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008

It's 3-1 Vancouver now.

Heck of a game though. Like two NHL teams. Good ones.

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
Heck of a game though. Like two NHL teams. Good ones.

Haha yup, really good teams. Hey what a coincidence... Julien and Torts both have rings.

Sigh, If only there was an accomplished coach somewhere out there we could sign.

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY

It's OK. It's the players faults for not producing. Not to mention we had loads of injuries. :sarcasm:

wangsnow.jpg

MaryChristine*

Capuano has got to switch up the lines and try to get guys going. Grabner hasn't scored in 29 games. The PP is disgusting. Bailey is invisible. Even Frans has sucked.

Glad Nabokov's back.

Cappy can switch up the lines over and over.. let's face it he's BEEN switching up lines... He doesn't know the talent he has. Players are mishandled all the time and he doesn't trust youth. These guys are not motivated or inspired by him and we see it every night.
I blame doug weight for this pp. The damn A$$Hole
The way they handled Strome tonight pisses me off. Why wasnt he with Tavares in OT?

:scared:

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
We really could use a Ryan Kessler type player. Canucks are a much better team when he's healthy. Same with David Backes in St. Louis.

We don't really draft big centres (don't sign UFAs or make trades either for that matter) so those types would be impossible for the Islanders. Nice idea though.

Maybe Jeremy Colliton or Ryan O'Marra can develop into those one day.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Cappy can switch up the lines over and over.. let's face it he's BEEN switching up lines... He doesn't know the talent he has. Players are mishandled all the time and he doesn't trust youth. These guys are not motivated or inspired by him and we see it every night.
I blame doug weight for this pp. The damn A$$Hole
The way they handled Strome tonight pisses me off. Why wasnt he with Tavares in OT?

:scared:

He has kept JT with Okposo-Moulson/Vanek all year.

He hasn't tried Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo ONCE this year, even though they have zero secondary scoring and Bailey-Nielsen have struggled.

AND THAT LINE WAS AWESOME WHEN THE TEAM EXCELLED LAST YEAR!!

I'm surprised Strome got some PP tonight and more minutes than Regin.

Capuano is a truly confusing guy. His actions (inactions) are inexplicable.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

I agree with you about Cappy. He toes the company line, will not throw the organization or the lousy owner under the bus. He is also probably one of the lowest paid head coaches in the nhl.

I could not disagree more about Vanek. Both Yormark and Wang have spoken in interviews since last spring about what the Nets did to become so successful in Brooklyn and what tbe Isles need to do. Wang was quoted in a Times article, saying the isles would need star power in Brooklyn because they'll be competing with the NYR for tix buyers. Snow said after the trade how Vanek is elite and if you get tbe chance to add elite talent, you do.

Imo the isles traded for Vanek with the Brooklyn tix sales/merchandisr in mind. They want to sign him, but with their awful season going on, they are behind tbe 8 ball. Why would Vanek pass up the ufa market to sign with this lottery team, who's gm and ownet have suched limited success over the yrs. I just hope Vanek stays healthy and Snow can get back some of the talent he dealt away to acquire Vanek.

original islander

Oct 12, 2011
and just how do you propose long island such a player?

Would start with a new GM who values size and a physical approach. It's difficult to trade for that type of player because no one in their right mind would trade one so you have to grow them yourself or pay a high price for them when they're free agents. Our current GM locks in on people like Bailey and DeHaan in the draft. Nothing against their skill level but we need some nastiness combined with that skill.

Words Of Wisdom

Truth Speaker
Oct 20, 2011
Long Island.
If Nabby could hit a streak things could change. Even though we got shut out the offense looked more fluid IMO. Defense needs some work. Strome looked very good and Bailey sucks..

I hope Cappy has an explanation why Ness and Hickey were out at the same time.

I applaud you for maintaining optimism, but things aren't gonna change. This isn't a good team. It's simple. The roster isn't good. The defense is brutally bad. It doesn't need work, it needs a full blown makeover. No goalie can streak in front of that horrid defense, albeit they played well tonight. Strome did look promising, but other than our first line and friggin' Boulton, our forwards have been trash.

Bottom line, it's nice to see you are staying strong and keeping faith in this team, but it's the people like you, who are blind and get crushed more. For not realizing the obvious truth of this team being bad and will remain bad for the remainder of the season.

MaryChristine*

Did Cappy really take a shot at the fans though? I missed his press conference, I figured it was gonna be about battles and systems.

IDK for sure. But I'm sure it has to eat away at your soul. I don't know of any fans who like cappy and want to see him stick around for another year... let alone another game. I wonder if he visits these boards ever...

Hershey Hockey

#AskNeal
Oct 5, 2010
Hershey, PA
It's to the point now where I just follow updates on Twitter as the game is happening to find out how much they lose by and check in here to see what people say after.

If Capuano is really taking shots at the crowd I would blow my lid if I was someone who was at the game. Your dumb ass is the one who's responsible for putting together a team that's won one game in the last month. Maybe worry a little more about what idiotic lineup you're going to ice next game and less about what the fans, who you've done nothing to earn any respect from with your piss-poor coaching, are doing.

original islander

Oct 12, 2011
Isn't that what we are hoping Brock Nelson develops into? A Kesler type player?

He doesn't seem to have a nasty streak. Kesler took Iginla on which isn't something I see Brock doing.
Backes and Kesler are much more physical than Nelson. I'm not saying that Nelson is a poor selection because I believe he'll be a major asset. He's not a Kesler or Backes type player though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad