GDT: #34| Montreal Canadiens @ New York Islanders | December 14th | 7:00pm | F/OTL 1-0

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I agree with you about Cappy. He toes the company line, will not throw the organization or the lousy owner under the bus. He is also probably one of the lowest paid head coaches in the nhl.

I could not disagree more about Vanek. Both Yormark and Wang have spoken in interviews since last spring about what the Nets did to become so successful in Brooklyn and what tbe Isles need to do. Wang was quoted in a Times article, saying the isles would need star power in Brooklyn because they'll be competing with the NYR for tix buyers. Snow said after the trade how Vanek is elite and if you get tbe chance to add elite talent, you do.

Imo the isles traded for Vanek with the Brooklyn tix sales/merchandisr in mind. They want to sign him, but with their awful season going on, they are behind tbe 8 ball. Why would Vanek pass up the ufa market to sign with this lottery team, who's gm and ownet have suched limited success over the yrs. I just hope Vanek stays healthy and Snow can get back some of the talent he dealt away to acquire Vanek.

I agree with you. The Vanek trade was supposed to be permanent. I just don't know how they are gonna keep him unless we kill it in the second half.

We got some hypocritical fans here. All screaming "we need a top 3"! We can't trade Moulson for a Dman because we would lose all that offence....so we trade Moulson in a package for a top 3. Then everyone screams, "we need a dman!"

We already have a ton of d prospects coming in. If we trade, we're only looking for stopgaps. We actually didn't have a top 3 forward prospect waiting to come up...therefore we filled a role we didn't have a prospect for....I am assuming KK and Petrov were pretty much put to the side.

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia
They need to get clutterbuck off the line with Nelson and Strome, he had Nelson wide open twice on side of the net and shot both time, not a lot of play making in his game.

Clutter is a terrible hockey player. He can skate and hit but he is a 4th line player. He has the vision of a pee wee player, he will always shoot first and always shoot wide. We traded our 2nd liner. I laugh when I see people on here wanting clutter on the 1st or 2nd line, it's obvious they don't know hockey when they say that.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Clutter is a terrible hockey player. He can skate and hit but he is a 4th line player. He has the vision of a pee wee player, he will always shoot first and always shoot wide. We traded our 2nd liner. I laugh when I see people on here wanting clutter on the 1st or 2nd line, it's obvious they don't know hockey when they say that.

Agree that he seems to shoot as a first option no matter what is going on around him. We were warned of his skate across the blue line wrist shot to goalies chest and his wide right off the glass shot. So far so true. :help:us

Isles Fan

Sep 12, 2006

Funny thing is that some of us saw this very early on even posted it in the Clutterbuck thread. Of course we didn't know what we were talking about back then. :shakehead

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I applaud you for maintaining optimism, but things aren't gonna change. This isn't a good team. It's simple. The roster isn't good. The defense is brutally bad. It doesn't need work, it needs a full blown makeover. No goalie can streak in front of that horrid defense, albeit they played well tonight. Strome did look promising, but other than our first line and friggin' Boulton, our forwards have been trash.

Bottom line, it's nice to see you are staying strong and keeping faith in this team, but it's the people like you, who are blind and get crushed more. For not realizing the obvious truth of this team being bad and will remain bad for the remainder of the season.

I'm not saying this is a contender or some amazing team by any means. I don't expect them to make the playoffs, but full blown makeover?

We could have had this fixed by the summer if we brought in a goalie (Bernier) and a defenseman to help out (Ference and Streit). I don't blame anyone for being pessimistic, why should anybody be optimitismic? We are 2-3 defenseman away and a nice third line away ( which EASILY could have been Nelson-Strome-Lee). Reinhart will take up one of those defenseman and hopefully Snow can take charge and do SOMETHING.

We would have Hammer, AMac, Vis, da Haan, Reinhart, Strait, and Hickey as our top 6. This is without making ANY moves. Who knows does Wang open the wallet up in free agency? We have no idea whatsoever.

Now that I'm done being optimistic,the ONLY way to get this team back on track is to bring an expirenced GM and coach..

warrior60

Dec 24, 2010
Hockey Town
Love how no one is throwing any fault at JT for that goal.....

I fault JT and Okposo more so for that goal then Hickey or Ness, no way do you stay out there for more than 30 second four on four, they were could harding skate on that last goal never mind getting back to help out. But that is what is wrong with this coaching staff let stuff like that happen all the time, can you imagine if a rookie did something like that he would see the ice for a month.

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
Funny thing is that some of us saw this very early on even posted it in the Clutterbuck thread. Of course we didn't know what we were talking about back then. :shakehead

yeah but he had character and we were told time and time again that Nino was a wuss and he had no heart and was a problem child.

Meanwhile, Garth Snow has spent more time developing Kirril Kabanov with his issues and gave up on Nino with the drop of a hat.

Sorry to turn this into a Nino/Cal argument again but I am sick and tired of seeing Cal Clutterbuck on this team. Even if we got him as a free agent id still want him gone. He is terrible!!

I would of been happier had we signed Prust a year ago instead of Cal.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Thought Clutterbuck played well yesterday, even had a great pass to Brock by the crease that was almost a goal.

Agree he's got terrible vision and hockey sense but I think he skates well, has been useful on the PK and love his energy.

Unfortunately, he'll always be compared to Nino and "what could have been" if that relationship never went sour.

Tpkc2

Jul 19, 2013
They have just lost 10 out of 12 and this dummy Capuano is taking shots at the fans??? This is beyond comical!

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
No way Cappy was actually taking a shot at the fans. He was just saying what all coaches say their first game back at home. He probably had that on his list of things to say days ago, win loss or draw.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
I agree with you. The Vanek trade was supposed to be permanent. I just don't know how they are gonna keep him unless we kill it in the second half.

We got some hypocritical fans here. All screaming "we need a top 3"! We can't trade Moulson for a Dman because we would lose all that offence....so we trade Moulson in a package for a top 3. Then everyone screams, "we need a dman!"

We already have a ton of d prospects coming in. If we trade, we're only looking for stopgaps. We actually didn't have a top 3 forward prospect waiting to come up...therefore we filled a role we didn't have a prospect for....I am assuming KK and Petrov were pretty much put to the side.

I for one wanted a solid defenseman....for this year AND to play with Reinhart, Pedan et al. Anyone over five foot five would be a bonus.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
where is our leverage though? everyone knows we will be desperate to trade him. and we must trade him! so how can we win? Garth never fleeces anyone in a trade.

He'll be the best UFA forward come the trade deadline. That's enough leverage. However, Snows track record at the deadline is always trying to get more than he can, but never gets nothing...

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
I agree with you about Cappy. He toes the company line, will not throw the organization or the lousy owner under the bus. He is also probably one of the lowest paid head coaches in the nhl.

I could not disagree more about Vanek. Both Yormark and Wang have spoken in interviews since last spring about what the Nets did to become so successful in Brooklyn and what tbe Isles need to do. Wang was quoted in a Times article, saying the isles would need star power in Brooklyn because they'll be competing with the NYR for tix buyers. Snow said after the trade how Vanek is elite and if you get tbe chance to add elite talent, you do.

Imo the isles traded for Vanek with the Brooklyn tix sales/merchandisr in mind. They want to sign him, but with their awful season going on, they are behind tbe 8 ball. Why would Vanek pass up the ufa market to sign with this lottery team, who's gm and ownet have suched limited success over the yrs. I just hope Vanek stays healthy and Snow can get back some of the talent he dealt away to acquire Vanek.

The Isles may need star power, but they also need to start winning, like now. However, did you see Wang invest in the team to get closer to winning or just maintain the status quo with a 29th ranked payroll?

Wang has said a lot of things over the years and yet the same results on the ice year after year. He does not pay to retain people and cheapens out in the UFA market where a bottom feeder needs to overpay.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010

Some flipped recently, yes. Some of us wanted a Dman three years ago to cover the transition to the kids over half a decade. The need for a defenseman is not something new.

KK and Petrov are nothing at this point. One looks like he will never leave Russia, and the other looks like he is on the first train to Buston.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Agree that he seems to shoot as a first option no matter what is going on around him. We were warned of his skate across the blue line wrist shot to goalies chest and his wide right off the glass shot. So far so true. :help:us

I don't know if this is a Clutterbuck thing. I have a feeling that the coaching staff is telling him to shoot first because his wrister is not bad and anyone with him would grab the rebound. I think we are blaming the wrong people. We are in a slump and TBH...I don't think it's the players. The coaching staff are not doing their job correctly.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
I don't know if this is a Clutterbuck thing. I have a feeling that the coaching staff is telling him to shoot first because his wrister is not bad and anyone with him would grab the rebound. I think we are blaming the wrong people. We are in a slump and TBH...I don't think it's the players. The coaching staff are not doing their job correctly.

We'd have to have players that go to the net in order to grab a rebound :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad