Speculation: 33rd Overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
I don't think they passed on those two because of "this mindset", I believe JV being a hometown kid played a major role. Never the less theres a big size difference between Debrincat and Ehlers/Nylander.

In fact, JB hasn't been shy about acquiring small players at all and hows that worked out so far?

Are you saying the reason his acquisitions have failed is because of their size? I would say it's because their noticeable lack of skill.

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
And those are reasonable concerns. My problem is when people say "He's small? There's no way he can an NHLer."

Just so we're on the same page...you realize a player of Debrincat's size is equal to, or smaller than the average woman? If you've played any sort of physical sport at any level you'd know what size can do. When the leagues average player is 6'1"-6'2" 200+ it's hard to get excited about a dude that would get tossed around by my neighbor's wife.

There's obviously a point where skill overcomes size (P. Kane for example) But you NEED to hit home runs with your first couple of picks.

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
Are you saying the reason his acquisitions have failed is because of their size? I would say it's because their noticeable lack of skill.

A combination of both really. But when you're one of the smallest teams in the league, least physical in the league, less fights, hits, aggression etc it's easy to get tossed around. are you going to argue that we don't get smashed whenever a team plays tough against us?

A team full of Granlund's, Vey's, Weber's etc is easy to control. Skill is obviously another issue but we're talking about size right now.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
A combination of both really. But when you're one of the smallest teams in the league, least physical in the league, less fights, hits, aggression etc it's easy to get tossed around. are you going to argue that we don't get smashed whenever a team plays tough against us?

A team full of Granlund's, Vey's, Weber's etc is easy to control. Skill is obviously another issue but we're talking about size right now.

To me size is of secondary importance. Skill and skating/speed need to be there before we worry about size. If we can physically match any team but can't keep the puck out of our zone and put it into their net then it means diddly squat. This isn't 2011 anymore, skill and skating are becoming more important than size, just look at most of the top teams this year.

And while DeBrincat is on the small side, he's feisty and not afraid to go to the tough areas. Sure, he won't have as much success in those areas against bigger players in the NHL, but he isn't some undersized perimeter player who is afraid of contact.

You talk about needing to hit home runs with 1st and 2nd round picks, but most guys taken in the 2nd round are safer picks than DeBrincat and have less potential, they aren't likely to be more than mediocre 2nd liners/2nd pairing d-men. He is very much a high risk/high reward type player.

banme*

Jun 7, 2014
The size difference between guys who are 5'6"/150lbs and 5'9"/175lbs won't make too much of a difference in the NHL since those guys tend to rely on skill and skating rather than using their bodies.

I strongly disagree, a few extra inches makes a huge difference in puck handling ability and skating ability.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I am with Nuckles here, size alone wouldn't scare me away. There needs to be more in in a players projection as to why he won't succeed. I also hate saying, oh you have to be a big team to play in the west. I think skill would win out.

Now if you wanted to debate some other assets he either has or doesn't have, sure, you could include size in that. But size alone wouldn't scare me away.

I also would wait until the combine, I remember there was lots of talk with both Ehlers and Nylander on size, so lets wait and see if he has grown at all.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
I really like John Dahlen. I know he's a forward but he looks like he is going to be a top 6 guy

Ryan Lindgren was also quite impressive at the u18s

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Just so we're on the same page...you realize a player of Debrincat's size is equal to, or smaller than the average woman? If you've played any sort of physical sport at any level you'd know what size can do. When the leagues average player is 6'1"-6'2" 200+ it's hard to get excited about a dude that would get tossed around by my neighbor's wife.

There's obviously a point where skill overcomes size (P. Kane for example) But you NEED to hit home runs with your first couple of picks.

And you know how you hit home runs? You take the risk of swinging for power rather than contact. You don't want to settle for a single, or a double. You want the home run, you have to take a big cut... And sure you're more likely to swing and miss... But if you make contact with that sucker... It could be the next hall of fame ball in your collection.

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
There's a big difference between being small and Debrincat small. We're talking about someone who's smaller than your average 7th grader. I don't feel we should avoid players on size alone but it's pretty ignorant to not think size has a lot to do with the ability to succeed. Year after year we see teams that are typically "big" succeed and win the cup. I'm sorry but this isn't a touch league, it's a contact league size DOES MATTER and should be taken into account when evaluating the player. Debrincat would be a great value pick in the 4th+ round but I personally wouldn't use your first couple of picks on a player smaller than my grandma and expect him to succeed in a league full of monsters.

*but that's my opinion, of course everyone's free to disagree.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
There's a big difference between being small and Debrincat small. We're talking about someone who's smaller than your average 7th grader. I don't feel we should avoid players on size alone but it's pretty ignorant to not think size has a lot to do with the ability to succeed. Year after year we see teams that are typically "big" succeed and win the cup. I'm sorry but this isn't a touch league, it's a contact league size DOES MATTER and should be taken into account when evaluating the player. Debrincat would be a great value pick in the 4th+ round but I personally wouldn't use your first couple of picks on a player smaller than my grandma and expect him to succeed in a league full of monsters.

*but that's my opinion, of course everyone's free to disagree.

Debrincat

Surprised he's ranked 41. I don't think there is a bigger long shot in the draft. Certainly would use our 3rd if he's available, and would be an excellent gamble if Columbus decides to give us their 2nd this year. (Not much chance of that, though, since they might as well wait as long as possible, 2018, and they have a low pick this year).

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
This pick might actually keep me watching the rest of the draft after we pick at 5. I'll be watching and hoping certain players fall.

I really hope the league underrates Fabbro because of the league he was in. Yes...the guy was carried by Jost. Avoid, avoid, avoid. ;)

ayoshi

Nov 3, 2010
Calgary hit a home run with Gaudreau, who is already a PPG player in the NHL.

And he's 155 lbs.

:sarcasm:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Didn't really follow the conversation, but just so we're on the same page... you realize that the average woman is not 5'7" and 160 pounds right? For comparison's sake, Ronda Rousey is 5'7" and fights at 135 pounds and googling revealed that bodybuilding legend Iris Kyle is 5'7" and competes usually at or 160 pounds. I have no doubt either of them can toss me around.

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
Didn't really follow the conversation, but just so we're on the same page... you realize that the average woman is not 5'7" and 160 pounds right? For comparison's sake, Ronda Rousey is 5'7" and fights at 135 pounds and googling revealed that bodybuilding legend Iris Kyle is 5'7" and competes usually at or 160 pounds. I have no doubt either of them can toss me around.

-The Washington post recently published an article stating the average woman's weight in America is now 166.3lbs

-Ronda Rousey walks around 170lbs

A person of Debrincat's height/weight is of an average 8th grader. Being that small hinders your chance to compete with 6'1"-6'2" 200+lbs average men.

Facts.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
-The Washington post recently published an article stating the average woman's weight in America is now 166.3lbs

-Ronda Rousey walks around 170lbs

A person of Debrincat's height/weight is of an average 8th grader. Being that small hinders your chance to compete with 6'1"-6'2" 200+lbs average men.

Facts.

I just grabbed this from livestrong

http://www.livestrong.com/article/283360-normal-height-weight-for-boys/

Averages for Boys 3 to 18 Years Old

Keep Kids Healthy cites that at 5 years old, the normal weight for a boy is between 30 to 45 lbs. The ordinary height for a 5-year-old is 40 to 45 inches. At 10, the range grows and the variation is 50 lbs. A normal 10-year-old boy weighs between 40 to 90 lbs. His height is between 50 and 58 inches. At 15, a boy should weigh between 100 and 160 lbs. He normally will be between 61 and 72 inches tall.

So he should be in Range at this stage of his life. I think it should be expected he puts on weight, and hopeful he grows. I would wait until the combine too for exact measurements.

It could be a problem for sure, I don't think you can say it absolutely will be. Anyone you draft at this point will have question marks, you have to decide if they are big enough that it will cause his other pluses to not help him make the jump.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
The playoffs need to be over already. You can tell everyone is getting bored around here by the fact every thread is randomly going off the deep end one way or another.

draft can't come soon enough.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
My main problem with Debrincat isn't just that he's small. It's the combination of being small and not a good enough skater to overcome that size issue, along with having issues keeping his head up.

Yup.

I'm all for drafting small players. If they can skate. I'd love if we spend a 3rd-5th round pick on Matt Phillips or David Quenneville out of the WHL.

Debrincat is tiny, a mediocre skater, doesn't have a terrific shot, is a '97-born with only a year of junior eligibility left, and has had his numbers inflated big-time by linemates like McDavid and Strome. If he fell to the mid-rounds, sure, but I don't want anything to do with him at #33 overall.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Were not taking Pu anymore? A player like him is more rare then guys like McDavid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad