Speculation: 33rd Overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Yup.

I'm all for drafting small players. If they can skate. I'd love if we spend a 3rd-5th round pick on Matt Phillips or David Quenneville out of the WHL.

Debrincat is tiny, a mediocre skater, doesn't have a terrific shot, is a '97-born with only a year of junior eligibility left, and has had his numbers inflated big-time by linemates like McDavid and Strome. If he fell to the mid-rounds, sure, but I don't want anything to do with him at #33 overall.

Yeah. That's the thing with DeBrincat. It's not that he's small in and of itself...it's that he's small combined with his other traits and the type of game he plays.

I'd add to that, what i think you may be getting at with the point about linemates like McDavid and Strome...I don't find DeBrincat to be a really carrier of the play. He's a pint-sized finisher - needs good playmakers around him to really excel. And that's an awfully tough game to play for a guy that small who isn't a particularly dynamic skater. Really tough to get to the scoring areas in the same way.

He's a lot more Gallagher than Gaudreau...and i just don't see the All World tenacity and determination that Gallagher has, in DeBrincat. And realistically...Gallagher as a player is extremely special and unique as a player, in how successful he is playing his game at that size in the NHL. Very much the exception, not the rule.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Yeah. That's the thing with DeBrincat. It's not that he's small in and of itself...it's that he's small combined with his other traits and the type of game he plays.

I'd add to that, what i think you may be getting at with the point about linemates like McDavid and Strome...I don't find DeBrincat to be a really carrier of the play. He's a pint-sized finisher - needs good playmakers around him to really excel. And that's an awfully tough game to play for a guy that small who isn't a particularly dynamic skater. Really tough to get to the scoring areas in the same way.

He's a lot more Gallagher than Gaudreau...and i just don't see the All World tenacity and determination that Gallagher has, in DeBrincat. And realistically...Gallagher as a player is extremely special and unique as a player, in how successful he is playing his game at that size in the NHL. Very much the exception, not the rule.

If they're looking to draft a smaller player in the second round they should be looking to a guy like Will Bitten.....players much bigger than his size.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Yeah, exactly. He's basically Gallagher without the off-the-charts grit/tenacity.

And like you say, he isn't a guy who generates his own offense, but is instead a nice set of hands for elite players to pass the puck to. Which is fine in junior when you're scoring lots of junior 'hands' goals but isn't going to carry well moving up levels, I don't think.

To use a soccer term, he's a pure poacher.

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
Yeah, exactly. He's basically Gallagher without the off-the-charts grit/tenacity.

And like you say, he isn't a guy who generates his own offense, but is instead a nice set of hands for elite players to pass the puck to. Which is fine in junior when you're scoring lots of junior 'hands' goals but isn't going to carry well moving up levels, I don't think.

To use a soccer term, he's a pure poacher.

He's a target striker without the height.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
welp, **** this thread, hope you all had fun theorycrafting the acquisition of a boat anchor defenceman

PrinceOfPucks

Jan 4, 2016
Speculation is flowing that CBJ has informed Van that they are giving up their 2nd this year for the Torts deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad