Height: 6'1
Weight: 212
Position: C/RW
Shoots: Right
Birthplace: Illinois

Notre Dame commit

Fischer_medium.jpg

[NHL]831119&catid=1411[/NHL]

A two-way power forward that specializes in consistency. Skates very well, and accelerates rapidly both forward, on the attack, and backward, on the backcheck. Possesses a quick wrist shot that is very accurate, and is also able to release a bomb of a slapshot. Very well-rounded offensive game, with some flare thrown in at times. Always aware of positioning, as that seems to be a concentrated area of his game. Not afraid to get physical, and exhibits a solid amount of grit every game. All-in-all, a consistent, responsible, and complete forward that can be counted on to step up in the game's key moments. (Curtis Joe, EP 2015) - See more at: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=226901#sthash.SLUyE5JK.dpuf

Ranked #49 by Hockeyprospect.com
Ranked #38 by ISS Hockey
Ranked #53 by Future Considerations
Ranked #37 by NHL Central Scouting (NA Skaters)
Ranked #45 by TSN/McKenzie - See more at: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=226901#sthash.SLUyE5JK.dpuf

Fischer seems to be a safe for the second round. But is this reflecting his skill set? He is a very powerful two-way forward who works very hard in both ends of the ice and possesses an over average skating balance. Listed at 6’1 and 212 lbs, he uses all of his big frame to protect the puck very well and to play effectively along the boards in battles. Fischer is one of the more NHL ready players in this year’s draft in terms of strength. He is a very agile skater and has extremely powerful strides plus good top speed. Fischer is the kind of player all coaches like to have. If he continues to develop his offensive skills and he would indeed be picked mid second round then he might be considered a steal.

http://thehockeywriters.com/a-look-at-potential-2015-draft-steals/

Fischer may not be the son of a former NHLer, but he’s getting a similar experience this season thanks to a unique living situation. The Illinois native’s parents are alternating billet duties at a house with the Tkachuks, so half the time the Fischers watch the teens and half the time the Tkachuks mind over them. Fischer has known Matthew Tkachuk since they were kids and at one point both were committed to Notre Dame, but Matthew has since re-opened his options.

“I’d say it’s my hometown school,” Fischer said. “It’s not in Illinois, but it’s probably closest to Chicago. And it’s the overall package: They have the hockey, the education and the school has a reputation as being prestigious.”
Speaking of prestigious, Fischer is part of the latest crop of draft prospects at the NTDP and has been one of the top offensive players on the squad with 37 points in 43 games, including three in the last two games of the Five Nations. And he likes to keep it simple.

“Just being a power forward,” he said. “Take the puck hard to the net, but also make the skilled plays and put the puck in the back of the net. I’d like to be more physical. With my big body, getting in the forecheck and throwing in a big hit every once in a while isn’t too bad.”

And there are few soft games for Team USA. Whether the squad is facing national teams, college teams or USHL teams, no one wants to lose to the hot-house program from Ann Arbor.
“That definitely brings a lot of energy to the game,” Fischer said. “There might be a little bit of jealousy on the other team. Definitely having that logo on your chest brings a target both in the USHL and internationally; everyone wants to beat you.”

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/prospect-hot-list-christian-fischers-connection-to-the-tkachuks/

Last edited:

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Would rather draft someone with more upside/potential.

Seems a safe pick.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Would rather draft someone with more upside/potential.

Seems a safe pick.

Agreed, with harkins sprong kylington and carlo still there would've preferred one of them, but it's hard to second guess our scouts after last year so eh.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
He's your classic high-motor, all hustle player. What separates him is he actually has the body type to translate this to the bigs.

Does he have the skill to be a top 6 winger maybe? Or pure bottom 6 guy? If he's a bottom 6 guy I'm very disappointed, especially with what was on the board.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Maybe a bit of a reach, but the NTDP is churning out good players lately, and Fischer brings a skill set that is woefully missing from this prospect pool. Plenty of time still to stock up on defensemen, and as much as I like Harkins et al, they took high end playmakers with the first two picks. Wise to grab a shooter.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Not sure if he has Top 6 upside, and I think he went a little early (though he would have certainly been gone at 60). But I love Fischer - he and Hank should be two mean power forwards for years to come.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad