Post-Game Talk: #31: FLYERS at Avalanche, Wednesday, Dec. 11, 2019, 9:30 pm ET

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
this is where i get concerned if I am the flyers. How does this team get better? Before one could hang their hat on Frost and Farabee being called up. But they are up. There is no one to call up. This roster is not good enough and all those years of having the best prospects well they are all up now and we still aren't good enough. The only hope this team has is if Nolan Patrick comes back and becomes our number 1 center.
The team gets better by the young guys who are currently on the roster continuing to improve, get used more, and evolve into the players they'll eventually become. They're far from a finished product.

On top of that, the team is much stronger than we saw this game. We're missing key players, added horrific players to replace them, and the coaches are idiots too. If we're not getting screwed by injuries and some bad luck then that game is extremely winnable.

Swic21

Jan 8, 2012
Canada
The injuries thing shouldn’t be an excuse. Other clubs also have injuries to their players.

They lost against an Avs team that also had some. So be it.

Can’t let this become a slide. It’s just frustrating to me to see the Avalanche really be a team on the rise. They also have been arguably just as ****ty as the Flyers for a while, but they actually fully committed to a tear down.

Avs had it much worse than Philly, not to mention they got Nate Mack. He’s that good, alone he can change a franchise. Not to mention Rantanen. When is the last time the Flyers got a player of Nates caliber? Lindros maybe? He’s a generational talent.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
The team gets better by the young guys who are currently on the roster continuing to improve, get used more, and evolve into the players they'll eventually become. They're far from a finished product.

On top of that, the team is much stronger than we saw this game. We're missing key players, added horrific players to replace them, and the coaches are idiots too.

we have seen this team with all of its top players together for sometime now. Its not good enough to compete with the Bruins or Caps.

Here4ThaLids

“Sunshine has always been our enemy.”
Sep 28, 2018
Really enjoyed that game, lots of flow, speed, bit of a video game shootout, and a little chippiness without anybody taking a run.

Notice how the Avs often had five guys defending at the dots or lower before springing for a counter? Their defensemen played much better than I expected. Some potential for that team, I don’t hate this incarnation (yet) and will likely find myself rooting for them against other teams.

So yeah, no shame to lose to them … and then I remember Giroux on the right side of the PP. And the Avs exploited that in a new way, attacking him from the high blind spot he doesn’t have on the left side.

flyersjim73

Nov 19, 2011
Philly
The injuries thing shouldn’t be an excuse.

I freaking hate when people say this crap.

The flyers were missing their leading goal scorer, their leading scorer, the #2 overall pick from a couple of years ago (yes, I know he’s been out all year), a very good 4th liner and a guy that can play up the lineup, and a young defenseman who has played very well.

That’s not an excuse, it’s REALITY.

If you don’t think that matters playing an away game against a top 3 team in the league, I don’t know what to tell you.

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
They never gave up, which is good.

Their shot selection, especially in the second, was god awful.

Jeez, we really missed TK.

Hart kept them in it in the first, and with that save in the second. He deserved better.

What is going on with JvR, and don't give me "his 5-on-5 advanced metrics are really splendiferous" stuff. His most noteworthy play was a pass to the point that missed by 20 feet. This was the exact type of game when you need JvR to pot a couple rebounds.

What was Hägg doing below the goal line in the offensive zone, twice? If you want to do something useful, watch tape of Zadorov and learn how to clear the crease and protect your goalie.

I thought Kaše made a few really smart plays.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It is also quite concerning our top score has 11 goals. We need that go to guy when things are going rough.
Whats concerning is that almost all our top players are scoring less than usual and the coaches are a big factor in that.

If we had a non-sabotaged PP they're point totals are significantly higher. No to mention the 5v5 line/pair problems.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
That's a little dramatic

I think we love to get dramatic and ride those roller coaster emotions but I do fully agree with him. I just know it’s annoying to point it out all the time so I try a bit to contain it.

I’ll cheer for them, and hope they catch lightning in a bottle at some point to make a run in the next few years but I’ve doubted it for a while.

It’s just the Avalanche. It’s seeing what this team could have arguably been had they fully torn it the f*** down, and stayed with an organic process.

Hope these f***ers prove me wrong. It’s fun to cheer when we get a taste of being good.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
this is where i get concerned if I am the flyers. How does this team get better? Before one could hang their hat on Frost and Farabee being called up. But they are up. There is no one to call up. This roster is not good enough and all those years of having the best prospects well they are all up now and we still aren't good enough. The only hope this team has is if Nolan Patrick comes back and becomes our number 1 center.

Farabee Frost Myers will get better with experience. Hart will play man behind the net better with experience. But JVR and JV are 15 million a year on the books that you cant get rid of. That is the long term problem. Hayes overpaid of course too but at least he is playing like a 4-5 million player. If this team got healthy, say traded for rental Duclair and scratched JVR I could see it.

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.

Hart
G
Couts

Everyone else , be better.

abBAQaB.gif

Was that JVRs worst game yet ?

These disastrous first periods are just completely unacceptable.

Hold me. Man that’s depressing

I'm not a jvr hater but he's becoming a pretty big problem.

lol. He is so ****ing bad. Any advanced stat that says jvr is good at any aspect of hockey is useless.

No one player was the reason we lost, but Hagg did the most to help us lose.
giphy.gif

I know, I'm a Canucks fan. You guys have a good team but no doubt your injuries have you running on 1 leg.​

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Farabee Frost Myers will get better with experience. Hart will play man behind the net better with experience. But JVR and JV are 15 million a year on the books that you cant get rid of. That is the long term problem. Hayes overpaid of course too but at least he is playing like a 4-5 million player. If this team got healthy, say traded for rental Duclair and scratched JVR I could see it.

it aint happening. As our young players improve. Jake Jvr and sadly giroux will only deteriorate.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
I freaking hate when people say this crap.

The flyers were missing their leading goal scorer, their leading scorer, the #2 overall pick from a couple of years ago (yes, I know he’s been out all year), a very good 4th liner and a guy that can play up the lineup, and a young defenseman who has played very well.

That’s not an excuse, it’s REALITY.

If you don’t think that matters playing an away game against a top 3 team in the league, I don’t know what to tell you.

Im not saying it doesn’t matter. Of course it does. I’m saying it matters more to a club that doesn’t have the overall talent level to call itself a top tier club in the league.

It’s just a slap of reality that mediocrity is still kind of the name of the game. For me anyway.

Again it’s the Avalanche. It’s catching a small fry when the guy next to you lands a trophy walleye when you both have have been in the same spot for years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad