30 years. What a milestone

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
*raises hand*
There was a certain charm to watching a professional hockey game and experiencing that slight smell of bovine in the air. Wild.

yes, not to mention the photos of "cattleman of the year" 1956, livestock loading area outside.
There was a section in the arena where it was flat, no seats. When ever a puck would
fly over and land there it would make a loud noise as it hit that area, and the kids/adults
would run for the puck. good times.

Reactions: Nighthock

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
yes, not to mention the photos of "cattleman of the year" 1956, livestock loading area outside.
There was a section in the arena where it was flat, no seats. When ever a puck would
fly over and land there it would make a loud noise as it hit that area, and the kids/adults
would run for the puck. good times.
It was certainly one for the memory books.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Devils channel is currently showing a game between the Sharks from late Oct 91. Gary Thorne said that 28% of all memorabilia sold up to that point was Sharks gear. That's impressive.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
On May 18, 1990, George Gund was awarded San Jose NHL franchise.

Congrats to Randy Hahn and others who helped get hockey to San Jose.

I knew Randy before then, I was working at the SJ Chamber of Commerce in 1989-90 and worked with a group called NHL Hockey-San Jose and Randy was a part of that group. Was a very nice guy then, seems he's still the nice guy.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Devils channel is currently showing a game between the Sharks from late Oct 91. Gary Thorne said that 28% of all memorabilia sold up to that point was Sharks gear. That's impressive.

Organization nailed it WRT merchandising. I was a guest at the Santa Clara Bar Association dinner @ Sharks game years ago (my first hockey game live). Sharks general counsel addressed group (continuing education, emphasis on IP) at a dinner before game.

He indicated process of selecting nickname, coming up with logo, selection of color (consulted with Lands End to pick a color "with legs"). First logo item was plush shark. Advertised in American Bar (lawyer) association and sold out. (You know, lawyers are sharks....)

In the past few years, I read an article about how the Sharks refused to back down from color selection in dealing with jersey manufacturer (they didn't want to have to develop new thread in teal, to create jerseys). It was a color scheme that really stood out from the yellows, blues, reds of the rest of the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad