30 Traveling Circuses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

silver_made*

Ok. I suppose it could be said that younger nhl players haven't made enough money to this point to subside off for a long while, during the lockout that is, but that is being taken care of since most young guys are playing for/employed by their nhl clubs' affiliates or back in jrs. (league-chl restriction, though if the lockout went on for a really long time, perhaps the ahl could alter their age rules). Most guys who have been in the league for several years or more now should have enough money to subside comfortably off of for a while assuming their is no cba finalized for a long while (reality). In short, guys who were in the nhl as recently as last season won't be living in the streets any time soon. making boat loads of money seems less important to many players right now, seeing as they are willingly playing for far less, monetarily, at the present time than they did under their former cba just last season. i am also going to assume that the majority of non-youngster nhlers (w/ 2+ years of exp) are playing in foreign elite leagues to stay in shape vs. the best competition available (valid). now, i would assume that the ultimate source of competition, with the sole purpose of staying in shape, would be to play against other nhlers. since the nhlpa acts like a band of brothers, why not get together to stay in shape? why take jobs from european players who they would label scabs should the nhl take those same europeans on as replacements? if the nhl players are concerned about staying in shape, why not set bob goodenow as their commish, split the guys up based on their most recent nhl representation, and tour around the US.? if there are arenas that nhl franchises own, that team simply won't have a home ice arena (they would be a perpetual road team; lots of travel, but it's all about staying in shape, right?). oh yeah, the best part: the players keep every penny from tickets to their games and divide it up however they see fit, but the point is every penny goes directly to the players. with many arenas hurting without hockey, i would assume many would accept this these '30 traveling circuses' at low rent interesting article about hsbc arena in buffalo on espn' main nhl page about something very similar). not as important, but the players would also be close to their families. if their are any legal snags, i suppose the new 30TC could operate under the guise of fitness 'scrimmages' or 'practices' the public must pay to attend. since many arenas have filled in their schedules where nhl games would have been, the 30TC would simply have to play where and when dates were available (i am going to assume arenas do not have events 7 days a week). sort out the concessions with the arenas individually. if air travel cuts into the budget too deep, simply play all the games in one region of north america and travel by bus. stay in motels if need be. i'm pretty sure the media would pick it up quick. guys who have had their jobs taken away in north american minor leagues and european pro leagues could have their jobs back, north american fans could watch nhl-level hockey (you know someone is going to broadcast it), nhl could stay in shape, and nhlers could pull in some decent change well keeping up the cohesiveness with their nhl 'mates.

Last edited by a moderator:

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
silver_made said:
Ok. I suppose it could be said that younger nhl players haven't made enough money to this point to subside off for a long while, during the lockout that is, but that is being taken care of since most young guys are playing for/employed by their nhl clubs' affiliates or back in jrs. (league-chl restriction, though if the lockout went on for a really long time, perhaps the ahl could alter their age rules). Most guys who have been in the league for several years or more now should have enough money to subside comfortably off of for a while assuming their is no cba finalized for a long while (reality). In short, guys who were in the nhl as recently as last season won't be living in the streets any time soon. making boat loads of money seems less important to many players right now, seeing as they are willingly playing for far less, monetarily, at the present time than they did under their former cba just last season. i am also going to assume that the majority of non-youngster nhlers (w/ 2+ years of exp) are playing in foreign elite leagues to stay in shape vs. the best competition available (valid). now, i would assume that the ultimate source of competition, with the sole purpose of staying in shape, would be to play against other nhlers. since the nhlpa acts like a band of brothers, why not get together to stay in shape? why take jobs from european players who they would label scabs should the nhl take those same europeans on as replacements? if the nhl players are concerned about staying in shape, why not set bob goodenow as their commish, split the guys up based on their most recent nhl representation, and tour around the US.? if there are arenas that nhl franchises own, that team simply won't have a home ice arena (they would be a perpetual road team; lots of travel, but it's all about staying in shape, right?). oh yeah, the best part: the players keep every penny from tickets to their games and divide it up however they see fit, but the point is every penny goes directly to the players. with many arenas hurting without hockey, i would assume many would accept this these '30 traveling circuses' at low rent interesting article about hsbc arena in buffalo on espn' main nhl page about something very similar). not as important, but the players would also be close to their families. if their are any legal snags, i suppose the new 30TC could operate under the guise of fitness 'scrimmages' or 'practices' the public must pay to attend. since many arenas have filled in their schedules where nhl games would have been, the 30TC would simply have to play where and when dates were available (i am going to assume arenas do not have events 7 days a week). sort out the concessions with the arenas individually. if air travel cuts into the budget too deep, simply play all the games in one region of north america and travel by bus. stay in motels if need be. i'm pretty sure the media would pick it up quick. guys who have had their jobs taken away in north american minor leagues and european pro leagues could have their jobs back, north american fans could watch nhl-level hockey (you know someone is going to broadcast it), nhl could stay in shape, and nhlers could pull in some decent change well keeping up the cohesiveness with their nhl 'mates.

Sounds great...and hey, they could call it the OSHL too! I'm sure the public would fall all over themselves buying tickets to glorified no contact scrimmages with lacross-like final scores.

And I bet it'd be a smashing success just like the OSHL was. :banana:

I don't mean to be an ass, but if this had any chance in hell of working don't you think this would've been the first thing they'd tried?

Last edited:

silver_made*

Digger12 said:
Sounds great...and hey, they could call it the OSHL too! I'm sure the public would fall all over themselves buying tickets to glorified no contact scrimmages with lacross-like final scores.

And I bet it'd be a smashing success just like the OSHL was. :banana:

I don't mean to be an ass, but if this had any chance in hell of working don't you think this would've been the first thing they'd tried?

exaaaaaaactly. the point is they are all about the money and couldn't care less about simply staying in shape. they are maliciously taking jobs, instead of 'banding together' like brothers as the nhlpa harps. btw, i don't see why these 'games' i propose can't have contact. they could still play for something. employ their own referees. create a championship trophy. the oshl went to garbage b/c the players were garbage and they had clown rules. my point is, if the nhlpa is such a tight-knit group, then they'd all agree to 'stay in shape' together, but they aren't b/c every players looks after their own interests, and the nhlpa is spear-headed by the high end spoiled players.

btw, if every nhlpa member really looked after one another's back, which they don't, my plan could work.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
silver_made said:
exaaaaaaactly. the point is they are all about the money and couldn't care less about simply staying in shape. they are maliciously taking jobs, instead of 'banding together' like brothers as the nhlpa harps. btw, i don't see why these 'games' i propose can't have contact. they could still play for something. employ their own referees. create a championship trophy. the oshl went to garbage b/c the players were garbage and they had clown rules. my point is, if the nhlpa is such a tight-knit group, then they'd all agree to 'stay in shape' together, but they aren't b/c every players looks after their own interests, and the nhlpa is spear-headed by the high end spoiled players.

btw, if every nhlpa member really looked after one another's back, which they don't, my plan could work.

That'll teach me to get riled up for no good reason. Apologies for my lack of reading skillz. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad