3 Words sums up this article ... Too Many Grinders

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
I agree with the article. I used to be an advocate for bringing Weiss to Nashville but after watching some Panthers games recently, he is exactly what most posters have said, more of the same of what we already have.

If we are seriously going to attempt a trade, we have to go after someone with offensive prowess that can help us.

What about guys like Cammalleri or Stempniak? Martin Hanzal from Phoenix wouldn't be bad, though I tend to believe he may be more defensive like our guys we have but I haven't watched a ton of his games.

I do want a move to be made during the season but would be ok to hold out until free agency, seeing as to how for some reason I feel we may have a shot at Getzlaf or even Filpula.

One thing I am sure of, is we need a shake up offensively. :help:

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
WHen you look at next years roster and salary its difficult to see how thins is going to improve 9 players contracts up and 19 mil cap space to work with. Josi and Horni will be re-signed and one has to think thats going to take abouy 6.5 mil leaving 12.5 mil roughly for 7 roster spots. You can expect Latta and Watson here most likley at about 2 mil so now 10.5 cap pace left for 5 players. Unless a couple players are bought out theres not going to be room for a couple offensive players to makle a difference. If a coupl players can be found at 5 mil each it could work but whos gonna be bnought out. The logical thing would be Leggy and SK only one year left on there contract and would free up 7.5 mil. I just don't see them lketting Leggy go. There gonna be alot that wopuld like Fish to go but again I don't see them letting him go either. The puzzle is much more complicaed long term than trying to put a few pieces and a pick together to get a player. It frustrating seeing what we would like to see happen and as you look at it realizing its just not feezable. The front office has commited to the two big salaries in Weber and Rinne now they have to try to figure out how to be competitive with those two players taking up 23% of the teams cap starting next year.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
To me, the most glaring need is a true top-6 center (which may be the hardest to obtain). All we have are decent 3rd/4th line centers.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Why do ppl think Weiss will help? He's probably a downgrade from leggy or fisher at this point.

I wouldn't go that far but he doesn't provide enough of an upgrade to warrant spending assets. Just another 20 goal 40-50pt guy.

Firestorm

Mar 2, 2011
Canada Eh?
I wouldn't go that far but he doesn't provide enough of an upgrade to warrant spending assets. Just another 20 goal 40-50pt guy.

If you ask people on HF who they would prefer as a psuedo number one centre, the majority would pick Weiss over Legwand or Fisher.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
If we can add Weiss for something cheap, or just sign him in the off-season, that's awesome. Even if he isn't the perfect #1C, adding another guy that's slighly better than Leggy and Fish just makes us that much deeper.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Weiss would be a better option than Legwand or Fisher. If Wilson and Smith can hold down the wings on the top line next season, and we can acquire ANY kind of offensive talent in the middle, that could be a very nice line leading the charge. Even if it's not a true #1 center by typical NHL standards, at least a guy who is a clear cut #1 on the Preds would do wonders for this team.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
Weiss would be a better option than Legwand or Fisher. If Wilson and Smith can hold down the wings on the top line next season, and we can acquire ANY kind of offensive talent in the middle, that could be a very nice line leading the charge. Even if it's not a true #1 center by typical NHL standards, at least a guy who is a clear cut #1 on the Preds would do wonders for this team.

Just as importantly, it bumps down Fisher and Legwand. Getting him without losing a roster piece, through FA or a trade, makes us a much deeper team

Weiss
Legwand
Fisher
Gaustad
(Spaling to wing)

vs.

Legwand
Fisher
Spaling
Gaustad

worstfaceoffmanever

These Snacks Are Odd
Jun 2, 2007
Fargo, ND
Weiss
Scoring - 1g+3a=4pts
Face-Off Percentage - 50.0%
Time On Ice - 19:01 (2:51/1:57)
QualComp - 1.57
Corsi Relative - (-3.6)
Corsi - (-14.20)
O-Zone Starts - 58%
O-Zone Finishes - 49%

Fisher
Scoring - 3g+4a=7pts
Face-Off Percentage - 49.5%
Time On Ice - 20:25 (3:04/1:39)
QualComp - 3.55
Corsi Relative - 0.2
Corsi - (-8.20)
O-Zone Starts - 35%
O-Zone Finishes - 40%

Legwand
Scoring - 3g+3a=6pts
Face-Off Percentage - 48.3%
Time On Ice - 17:52 (1:45/1:00)
QualComp - 3.28
Corsi Relative - (-13.0)
Corsi - (-17.59)
O-Zone Starts - 43%
O-Zone Finishes - 45%

Spaling
Scoring - 3g+1a=4pts
Face-Off Percentage - 45.2%
Time On Ice - 15:34 (0:04/2:24)
QualComp - 2.48
Corsi Relative - (-5.1)
Corsi - (-12.09)
O-Zone Starts - 40%
O-Zone Finishes - 46%

Gaustad
Scoring - 1g+2a=3pts
Face-Off Percentage - 62.6%
Time On Ice - 14:07 (0:40/2:51)
QualComp - 1.50
Corsi Relative - (-5.9)
Corsi - (-13.22)
O-Zone Starts - 15%
O-Zone Finishes - 43%

I don't really see anything that suggests that Weiss is exponentially better than what we have or a legitimate #1 center. I see nothing that would suggest that he's capable of providing a significant upgrade to our offense. A guy with nearly three minutes of power play time every night has one goal on a power play that is better than ours (if only slightly), and has yet to score an even strength goal against significantly weaker competition than what he would face with us? That doesn't sound like an upgrade; it sounds like a complete waste of time and resources.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
Cammy scored tonight. 5 goals on the year now.

Why would some of you be so opposed to look to Calgary for some pieces they will probably be open to moving since it doesn't seem like they'll be making a playoff push this season...

Last edited:

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Cammy scored tonight. 5 goals on the year now.

Why would some of you be so opposed to look to Calgary for some pieces they will probably be open to moving since it doesn't seem like they'll be making a playoff push this season...

Wow...you're really wanting this guy. He's playing well so far this year, but the last 2 full seasons, he's been on a decline. Personally, I think it'll take an overpayment based on the fact that they don't have much else.

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
so all of a sudden we're convinced neither Wilson or Smith is gonna' be our long-term 1C?

I still don't see how a single-piece is the answer. We have guys under contract for a few years yet; Poile clearly built this team to be good for the next few years as Wilson and Smith grew into top-3/6 talents, while Marty still was, while Leggy and Fish were serviceable, and Horny would keep chipping in the tough goals. It's built to play competitive level of hockey during the season, add something at the trade-deadline to help scoring - just like last year - while we wait for the next batch of kids.

Sure, a Parise would have been nice - but at some point it's not a question of can the team spend the money but allocating the money under the budget. I look at the salaries and it seems to me we're kinda' committed and there really isn't a way to fit a guy in other than as a rental.

Sure, I have a wish list - at the top is these guys just do what you can reasonably expect, because right now, it'd be hard to argue any of them (except Willy) are.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
so all of a sudden we're convinced neither Wilson or Smith is gonna' be our long-term 1C?

Seeing that they're being groomed as wingers... no. Under a different coach, yes Wilson would be a center. And at this point, if either of them were asked to play C full time for Trotz, it would probably diminish their offensive contributions anyway.

Until we end up drafting a guy like Pavel Datsyuk who is just naturally gifted at both ends of the ice, or even just solid defensively and offensively talented enough to be the clear cut #1C, we're going to be having these same conversations every season.

I Will Son

An Army of One
Feb 15, 2010
Nashville
Weiss
Scoring - 1g+3a=4pts
Face-Off Percentage - 50.0%
Time On Ice - 19:01 (2:51/1:57)
QualComp - 1.57
Corsi Relative - (-3.6)
Corsi - (-14.20)
O-Zone Starts - 58%
O-Zone Finishes - 49%

Fisher
Scoring - 3g+4a=7pts
Face-Off Percentage - 49.5%
Time On Ice - 20:25 (3:04/1:39)
QualComp - 3.55
Corsi Relative - 0.2
Corsi - (-8.20)
O-Zone Starts - 35%
O-Zone Finishes - 40%

Legwand
Scoring - 3g+3a=6pts
Face-Off Percentage - 48.3%
Time On Ice - 17:52 (1:45/1:00)
QualComp - 3.28
Corsi Relative - (-13.0)
Corsi - (-17.59)
O-Zone Starts - 43%
O-Zone Finishes - 45%

Spaling
Scoring - 3g+1a=4pts
Face-Off Percentage - 45.2%
Time On Ice - 15:34 (0:04/2:24)
QualComp - 2.48
Corsi Relative - (-5.1)
Corsi - (-12.09)
O-Zone Starts - 40%
O-Zone Finishes - 46%

Gaustad
Scoring - 1g+2a=3pts
Face-Off Percentage - 62.6%
Time On Ice - 14:07 (0:40/2:51)
QualComp - 1.50
Corsi Relative - (-5.9)
Corsi - (-13.22)
O-Zone Starts - 15%
O-Zone Finishes - 43%

I don't really see anything that suggests that Weiss is exponentially better than what we have or a legitimate #1 center. I see nothing that would suggest that he's capable of providing a significant upgrade to our offense. A guy with nearly three minutes of power play time every night has one goal on a power play that is better than ours (if only slightly), and has yet to score an even strength goal against significantly weaker competition than what he would face with us? That doesn't sound like an upgrade; it sounds like a complete waste of time and resources.

:handclap:

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
Again, the point of bringing Weiss in isn't being a one person fix for our offense. No one available is that good. Weiss adds another (but better IMO) Legwand type player that Trotz loves. We aren't going to be able to bring in dynamic players, so 20 goal 50 point guys scoring by committee is what we need. He would be a valuable part of that committee.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad