Confirmed with Link: 3 vs 3 OT next season (Bob McKenzie)

Alex514

May 10, 2015
Clearly, they're trying to do away with shootouts without actually doing it.

Mandala

Dec 7, 2006
The players did not want the games to be longer, so they opposed the AHL format. It is not just two extra minutes, but with timeouts, delays for faceoffs, etc. it extends the game like the last two minutes in football.

I would not be surprised that the TV networks already find the games are too long. Expect this format to be extended to the playoffs at some point.

This beeing said, our forwards are not that creative, afterall we have one of the worst offense. I suspect that we will play with one defenseman.

Hopefully, it benefits more the Habs than not since many games go to overtime.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
I'm for it. Great for the entertainment. It will be like a street hockey scrimmage! Ah the good ol' days.
By the way 3 on 3 happened a lot when we had the good ol' brawl years in the NHL.

Alex514

May 10, 2015
Can't wait to see how it will all look when penalties will be called

pond hockey :handclap:

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Great news IMO. Anything to avoid the shootout is good in my books.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
What happens when the 2 minutes are up? Does the 4th skater run back to the bench?

bipolarhabfan

Sep 16, 2006
Burnaby, BC
I think this is stupid and a gimmick. Go back to 5-5 and let games end in a tie.

If you want games to end in regulation go to 3 points for a regulation win. How can 3 points be awarded for a game ending in OT and 2 for a regulation win? Go to 3 points for a regulation win, 2 points for an OT win, 1 point for an OT loss, and 0 points for a regulation loss. They wont because the loser points allows the standings to be closer than it should be.

EDIT: Did not read the post above regarding a revised points system when I posted my comment.

Haaabs

Jul 16, 2010
Montreal
Hate the format, but...

Plekanec-Patches-Subban

With Price in nets.

We're gonna be good at this.

Therrien is coach. When we started OT last year at 4v4 we had
Pacioretty-Desharnais
Markov-Subban

I wouldn't be surprised if all he did was remove a Dman from the 4v4 lineups to create these

1-Pacioretty-Desharnais-Subban
2-Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Markov
3-Gallagher-Eller-Petry

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
Therrien is coach. When we started OT last year at 4v4 we had
Pacioretty-Desharnais
Markov-Subban

I wouldn't be surprised if all he did was remove a Dman from the 4v4 lineups to create these

1-Pacioretty-Desharnais-Subban
2-Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Markov
3-Gallagher-Eller-Petry

I think Therrien would go with Petry over Markov for the 2nd unit.

Haaabs

Jul 16, 2010
Montreal
Eller will never see 3on3 time.

If the whole OT is played at 3v3, Therrien won't really have a choice but to play Eller. He's not going to keep throwing wave 1 and 2 out there. He's used Gallagher with Eller in 4v4 OT last year.

I think Therrien would go with Petry over Markov for the 2nd unit.

Yea, I was debating that. Only reason I went with Markov on the second wave is because he and Plekanec have played a lot together in situations that weren't 5v5 and seem to find each other with cross ice passes.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
DD will play the entire 3 on 3 overtime.

Gotta inflate those point totals.

Hey he put DD in the shootout. It worked for a year. He's like 0 for 20 since 2014 but still goes every single time. DD only needs one point and he's permanently earned 3 on 3 ice time in Therrien's books.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
Hate it, hate it, hate it. Ever since I saw 3-on-3 used to decide the GMG between Canada & Sweden back in the .. 08? World Championships. It's terrible hockey, because unless the players have the freedom to lose the game, two of them will tend to hang back, and hope that the puck-carrier can score off an individual rush / great play.

This is even worse gimmickry than the shoot-out.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
What happens when the 2 minutes are up? Does the 4th skater run back to the bench?

haha, good question. I don't really like this one bit, or does the tea get an extended pp until the ref blows the whistle?

haha, good question. I don't really like this one bit, or does the tea get an extended pp until the ref blows the whistle?

They'll probably never call a penalty when it's 3 on 3. lol

Hate it, hate it, hate it. Ever since I saw 3-on-3 used to decide the GMG between Canada & Sweden back in the .. 08? World Championships. It's terrible hockey, because unless the players have the freedom to lose the game, two of them will tend to hang back, and hope that the puck-carrier can score off an individual rush / great play.

This is even worse gimmickry than the shoot-out.

Agreed

Last edited by a moderator:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I would take 3 on 3 over the SO any day, I just hate the SO since it comes down to one play. They should have done 4 on 4 for 5 minutes, then 3 on 3 for 5 and either go back to ties or the SO.

Help

Can I help you?
Apr 8, 2011
HELP HELP HELP
Loved the 3 on 3 in the AHL last year. Non-stop edge of your seat action for 3 and a half minutes (usually less). I get the idea that the Habs will do surprisingly well with the 3 on 3, as a goaltender capable of playing the puck goes a long way

Critics will say that it's just another gimmick, and they're not totally wrong, but at least this gimmick has novelty. The same can't be said for the shootout anymore

capebretoncanadien

Nov 29, 2008
I think 3 vs. 3 will favour us against most teams I'm excited to see what PK,Patches and Pleks can do in particular. Petry and Beaulieu will benefit also....great skaters.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Not too thrilled with this. I have played 3 on 3 hockey, it's fun and great exercise but it's not real hockey. It's just basically a parade of constant 2 on 1's so not much different from a shootout. Just basically still deciding games' results with another skills competition event instead of hockey.

Not a huge fan of 4v4, but just extend it 10 minutes then call it a tie. At least 4v4 still has the basic elements of hockey (closer to boring big ice Euro hockey), and the extra 5 minutes would still take less time than ice resurfacing + shootout.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad