3 Things I Dislike About The Current Penalty System

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
1. Make up calls are so predictable these days. I'd love to see some statistics on the chance of a team getting a powerplay if they had been penalized X times in a row prior.

2. Why should a team get a four minute powerplay because someone bleeds? A high-stick is a high-stick. It is such an arbitrary system.

3. A normal Penalty + Embellishment penality. It should be one or the other, not both. Happened today in the Flyers vs. Anaheim game. Travis Konecny was checked from behind into the boards and a penalty was called on the check and Konecny for embellishment. How can it be both?

penguingangs

Jan 1, 2017
I'd like to add some sort if carry over for late overtime penalties. Something to carry over in the shootout.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
1. Make up calls are so predictable these days. I'd love to see some statistics on the chance of a team getting a powerplay if they had been penalized X times in a row prior.

2. Why should a team get a four minute powerplay because someone bleeds? A high-stick is a high-stick. It is such an arbitrary system.

3. A normal Penalty + Embellishment penality. It should be one or the other, not both. Happened today in the Flyers vs. Anaheim game. Travis Konecny was checked from behind into the boards and a penalty was called on the check and Konecny for embellishment. How can it be both?

1. Nothing to say about that.

2. Would be even more arbitrary to give double-minor to bad high-sticks. If a player bleeds it forces him to go out of the play until it is fixed.

3. Because they called the other penalty then they called the embellishment. Else you would get to many non-call by ref for fear of calling a penalty that was embellished.

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
for number 3... it is not mutually exclusive. you can call both penalties at the same play. I don't mind that penalty.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf

Point two is not arbitrary. It's one of the few crystal clear calls. Draw blood, sit on the bench.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016

Dives shouldn't be called both but embellishment means there was a penalty and the guy embellished it.... so both. Diving getting 2 penalties bothers me tho

Hate makeup calls .

Bleeding just makes it easier for the ref to call a major which they hardly ever do.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012

Because cutting someone is more serious than just clipping them with a high stick.

Easily. Player A commits an act that is punishable by a penalty. Player B embellishes the effect of that act. Pretty simple really.

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
My bigger problem is with the stat keeping. A team can get credited with an 0-for-1 for failing to score on a power play that lasts five seconds. That drives me nuts.

But I don't understand why the penalty/embellishment combo is so hard to figure out. If a guy commits a hook and interferes with his opponent, it's a penalty. But if the fouled player goes out of his way to make it look worse than it was, it's a dive, and that's a penalty too.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Penalty calls seem to be based on how the game is going and an attempt to keep the game balanced, rather than fair.

I've noticed Refs will start handing out PP to home teams when they're down big league and fans start whining. Even announcers recognize this, I always hear how they say the coach knows they will get a PP, they're just waiting for it...

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Because cutting someone is more serious than just clipping them with a high stick.

So a bloody lip is more serious than a concussion?

The rule about blood doesn't say anything about blood actually, but specifies about injuries. So if we consider a bloody lip to be an injury, then the rule is being applied correctly. It does leave the door open for players to fake injuries or to have an already existing wound re-opened, resulting in an additional two minutes of penalty time. It depends entirely on how they are defining the term "injury."

"Double-minor Penalty - When a player carries or holds any part of
his stick above the shoulders of the opponent so that injury results,
the Referee shall assess a double-minor penalty for all contact that
causes an injury, whether accidental or careless, in the opinion of the
Referee."

Rule 60.3: http://1.cdn.nhle.com/downloads/2016-17_RuleBook.pdf

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
"Make-up" calls can be okay to me if it's obvious the refs screwed something up, but that shouldn't have to happen. Massaging the game and reffing the score, though, is a serious problem. I don't know if officials are told to do it, silently encouraged to do so in order to get playoff duty, or if it's just a cultural thing or what, but it's terrible to watch and I don't understand how anyone could think it's good for the league.

I have zero problem with double-minors for drawing blood, but I still understand the gripe.

It's very obvious why it's possible for there to be a real penalty and embellishment on the same play; however, I also think it's worth considering overlooking/cancelling the original penalty in order to discourage diving more.

Bending and Tending

Dec 25, 2014
U.S.A.

I don't mind that rule in principle, but there have been own high sticks by teammates that resulted in 4 minute penalties. If it's a 2 minute penalty...okay, fine, mistakes happen, but a double minor starts getting ridiculous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad