Post-Game Talk: #3| Tampa Bay Lightning @ New York Islanders | June 17th | 8:00 PM | F/L 2-1

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING AT NEW YORK ISLANDERS

GAME 3: ISLANDERS VS LIGHTNING
8 PM | NASSAU COLISEUM
SERIES TIED 1-1
WATCH: USA, CBC, SN, TVAS, NHL.TV
LISTEN: 88.7FM | 103.9FM | 98.7FM

Preview

The puck is scheduled to drop at 8pm ET for Game 3 at the Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum. The USA Network is carrying the broadcast.

Lightning Big Guns Striking

Regular season? Who needs a regular season? Not Nikita Kucherov.
The Tampa Bay forward was winner of the Hart and Art Ross Trophies in 2018-19. Kucherov ended up missing the entire 2021 regular season campaign while rehabbing from offseason hip surgery.

Returning to action for Game 1 of the playoffs, Kucherov is acting like he never missed a beat. He dished out three assists in Tampa’s 4-2 Game 2 verdict over the Isles. Kucherov leads the Stanley Cup scoring race with 22 points. He’s collected points in 11 of 13 games. That includes five multi-point games.
Meanhwile, forward Brayden Point has scored in each of Tampa Bay’s past five games. He’s the NHL playoff goal-scoring leader with 10.

Islanders Must Stay Out Of The Box

New York was displaying a rare fit of undisciplined pay in Game 2 and it cost them. The Islanders were assessed five minor penalties. They’d never been called for more than three infractions in any of their first 13 playoff games.
Although Tampa Bay scored just once with the man advantage in the game, this is not the road the Isles want to go down. The Lightning are clicking at 39.5% (17-for-43) on the power play during the postseason.

Injury Updates

Islanders goalie Semyon Varlamov briefly left Game 2 following a crease collision with Point. He returned to action and New York coach Barry Trotz is indicating that Varlamov is good to go for Game 3. Forward Jean-Gabriel Pageau, who didn’t play the final 14 minutes of Game 3, only has a minor tweak and should play Thursday.

In fact, the Isles report no new injuries. Even though forward Oliver Wahlstrom, out the past nine games with a lower-body injury, has regained his health, Trotz suggested he’d go with the same lineup for Game 3.
The Lightning also report no new injuries.

Trendspotting

The Lightning have not lost consecutive games in the Stanley Cup playoffs since being swept by Columbus in the 2019 Eastern Conference first round (12-0).

With both Varlamov and Ilya Sorokin playing roles, the Islanders are the third team in NHL history to have two goaltenders win four or more consecutive starts in the playoffs. The two previous teams to do this – the 1972 Boston Bruins and 1980 Flyers.

yOhx7HR.png

Playoff Series History

.....................ALL GAMES......................................................HOME...........................................................AWAY.....................................................PLAYOFFS....................
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
W-L-TWIN%GFPGGAPGW-L-TWIN%GFPGGAPGW-L-TWIN%GFPGGAPGW-LWIN%GFPGGAPG
54-66-345.92.82.929-28-150.92.92.725-36-241.32.63.05-1327.81.83.1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Possible Starting Goalies:

CphpmVY.png

Possible Lineups:

3FxJvuJ.png

Team Leaders:

I0BWkvU.png

Game 1 Highlights

Islanders vs. Lightning - Game Recap - June 13, 2021 - ESPN

Game 2 Highlights/Recap

Islanders vs. Lightning - Game Recap - June 15, 2021 - ESPN

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
They must bring their 'A' game; near mistake-free hockey. Of course there will be fluctuations, and momentum swings, but they have to play their hardest, smartest, most effective hockey every shift to beat this kind of team.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
For me, this is the game that may foreshadow how the series will go. I may be picking up Poke for dinner tonight to do my part! Big game.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Task number 1 for us is to avoid taking early first period penalties, if it's 5 minutes for fighting or even coincidental minors. I think the Lightning want to try to disrupt our game of rolling 4 lines early in the game and dictating the play to the Bolts. By doing that it gives them a chance to establish their rhythm early in the game and get us chasing. Even having Matt Martin in the box for 5 minutes in the 1st period keeps the Identity Line from getting out there and that's playing into the Lightning's hands.

For 2 games Tampa has been goading us and selling the penalties to the referees. We will need some discipline early so that we can establish our game first.

Last edited:
Reactions: wingnutks

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Does anyone know if we can enter from the Charles Lindbergh Blvd entrance into the lots or is it still just from Hempstead Turnpike?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Does anyone know if we can enter from the Charles Lindbergh Blvd entrance into the lots or is it still just from Hempstead Turnpike?
The North lot was open starting with Game 4 of the Bruins series. AFAIK all the entrances are open now.

Reactions: crasherino

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
This is the game. Don't see how they get trough this series if Bolts get the W tonight.

This is sort of the first time Tampa is playing a game in a hostile environment in the playoffs since 2019. I don’t feel Florida and Carolina matched this at all. It’ll be really tough for them to take both games here

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Have to assume Tampa has seen everything regarding hostile environments. The Isles will have to want this more. Who will pay the price more to win each shift? Our crowd can certainly push this over the finish line. LGI!

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
Need to help the refs out tonight. My lord, that goal ( 6 skaters ) if never scored changes the entire complexion of that game.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
This is sort of the first time Tampa is playing a game in a hostile environment in the playoffs since 2019. I don’t feel Florida and Carolina matched this at all. It’ll be really tough for them to take both games here
Our crowd is definitely fantastic and its certainly hostile territory for the opposing team, but its not like Tampa hasn't played on the road before. If the Islanders don't bring their top game and commit penalties, they very well can (and probably will) take both games. The crowd may give the Isles a lil added boost/jump, but at the end of the day, both teams will have to play the game.

Personally, if you offered me a split of the next two right now - I'd grab it and run. Its not a must win game tonight by any stretch, but winning tonight would be yuge.

Reactions: TMI

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Clean up play in your own end, stay out of the box. Win game.

LGI!

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3