Post-Game Talk: 3 Stars of the Game for 2/28 vs. EDM

Who were the three best players for the Blues against Edmonton?

• Schenn

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hayes

• Toropchenko

• Thomas

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Saad

• Kyrou

• Walker

• Alexandrov

• Neighbours

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Bolduc

• Sundqvist

• Buchnevich

• Leddy

• Scandella

• Krug

• Faulk

• Tucker

• Parayko

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Binnington

Votes: 15 83.3%
  • Nobody else is worthy of recognition

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Who were the three best Blues against Edmonton? Top line of Buch, Thomas, and Kyrou took home the honors last game.

Current standings:

Binnington-20
Thomas-17
Parayko-13.5
Buchnevich-12
Hofer-9.5
Neighbours-9.5
Kyrou-9
Schenn-5.5
Walker-5
Leddy-3
Perunovich-3
Bolduc-3
Hayes-2.5
Kessel-2.5
Toropchenko-2.5
Krug-2
Blais-1.5
Gaudette-1

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Parayko, Thomas, Binnington.

Lol @ Kyrou and Buchnevich having more votes than Parayko.

stl76

Jul 2, 2015
Parayko was too up and down for me last night. 5 turnovers including some doozies in d zone. Atypical.
Strong disagree. He was an absolute beast.

Parayko lead the team in SOG, TOI, blocks, had a number of big hits (only Tucker had more), and overall did a fantastic job 5v5 against the best players in the world. All while sporting a 14.29% 5v5 ozone start rate.

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
Strong disagree. He was an absolute beast.

Parayko lead the team in SOG, TOI, blocks, had a number of big hits (only Tucker had more), and overall did a fantastic job 5v5 against the best players in the world. All while sporting a 14.29% 5v5 ozone start rate.
I was thinking about Parayko as the game was going on and then he made a bunch of poor plays at the end of the game

zone start rate is a useless stat, as the vast, overwhelming majority of a players TOI is started by jumping over the boards as the play is ongoing
-such as when Parayko and Leddy both decided to mosey on over to the bench at the same time on the 2nd period long change, and leave Conner Freakking McDavid hanging our all by himself at our blue line

stl76

Jul 2, 2015
I was thinking about Parayko as the game was going on and then he made a bunch of poor plays at the end of the game

zone start rate is a useless stat, as the vast, overwhelming majority of a players TOI is started by jumping over the boards as the play is ongoing
-such as when Parayko and Leddy both decided to mosey on over to the bench at the same time on the 2nd period long change, and leave Conner Freakking McDavid hanging our all by himself at our blue line
For the bolded: bullshit. It’s a strong indicator of how a dman is deployed and what their usage looks like.

No argument from me that was a bad change, but I’m not hanging that solely on Parayko. End of a long shift mostly hemmed in you own zone against McDavid. Flipping the puck into oiler zone and going for a change is usually a fine play. Just so happened that Leddy and Thomas also had the same idea and all 3 went at the same time leaving the center of the ice too open.

Did Parayko play a perfect game? No. Did he play very well for half the f***ing game? Yes.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
For the bolded: bullshit. It’s a strong indicator of how a dman is deployed and what their usage looks like.

No argument from me that was a bad change, but I’m not hanging that solely on Parayko. End of a long shift mostly hemmed in you own zone against McDavid. Flipping the puck into oiler zone and going for a change is usually a fine play. Just so happened that Leddy and Thomas also had the same idea and all 3 went at the same time leaving the center of the ice too open.

Did Parayko play a perfect game? No. Did he play very well for half the f***ing game? Yes.
He is great player who has super tough role that he plays well. But last night wasn’t his best.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020

this season Parayko starts 19.2% of his shifts in the defensive zone, so 1 in 5 times he steps on the ice it is the defensive zone after a whistle

zone start rate is a useless stat, unless you are arguing that that coaches putting who they perceive as their best defensive d-men on the ice in their own zone after a whistle is some sort of deep mystery we can only perceive with the magic zone start stat

is McDavid a horrid defensive player, worse than Kyrou even, because he has a o-zone start above 60%, or do his coaches (rightfully) look at him as being a really good offensive player so they put him on the ice in the o-zone after a whistle (his overall percent of shifts that start in the o-zone is 22.1%)

I think Parayko is a very, very good defenseman who has been consistently underrated by a lot of Blues fans, but, to me, last night was more a so-so game for him

Last edited:

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis

He is great player who has super tough role that he plays well. But last night wasn’t his best.

Doesn't need to be his best to still be better than everyone else. I mean he was against McDavid for the majority of the time right? How can you fault him for having mistakes last night when playing against the "best player in the world" and still doing a damn good job.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Doesn't need to be his best to still be better than everyone else. I mean he was against McDavid for the majority of the time right? How can you fault him for having mistakes last night when playing against the "best player in the world" and still doing a damn good job.
because he turned the puck over 5 times, creating prime scoring chances! do we just ignore that because he had tough deployment? i'd give him one of the 3 stars for the season, just not last night.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
because he turned the puck over 5 times, creating prime scoring chances! do we just ignore that because he had tough deployment? i'd give him one of the 3 stars for the season, just not last night.

By contrast what would have happened if we were using Tucker or Krug to try to shut down McDavid? Do you think they would have only had 5 turnovers?

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
By contrast what would have happened if we were using Tucker or Krug to try to shut down McDavid? Do you think they would have only had 5 turnovers?
you are reading way too much into my comments. the turnovers are a demerit in my eyes, like thomas got for waiving at mcdavid as he went by on winning goal. they're our best players. they play a lot, against other team's best players. they are gonna make mistakes. but that is why i didn't vote for them.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Because he made more mistakes than he did in a previous game. On 2/15, he only had 2 turnovers against the Oilers, so clearly he's capable of having a better night matched up against McDavid. I don't see how it's a slight to not have him in the top 3 players of the game, when he didn't perform as well as a previous game against the same team.

Reactions: Blueston

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Because he made more mistakes than he did in a previous game. On 2/15, he only had 2 turnovers against the Oilers, so clearly he's capable of having a better night matched up against McDavid. I don't see how it's a slight to not have him in the top 3 players of the game, when he didn't perform as well as a previous game against the same team.

I think not thinking he's a top 3 star of the game when he and Binnington are about the only reasons we didn't get blown out and citing the reason as 3 extra turn overs than last time is a bit absurd. The Oilers entire team also played loads better than last time and we didn't have like 15 minutes of PP time like last time. If you think someone was better and contributed more, fine. But acting like he failed some how is crazy talk.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
I think not thinking he's a top 3 star of the game when he and Binnington are about the only reasons we didn't get blown out and citing the reason as 3 extra turn overs than last time is a bit absurd. The Oilers entire team also played loads better than last time and we didn't have like 15 minutes of PP time like last time. If you think someone was better and contributed more, fine. But acting like he failed some how is crazy talk.
I consider positive and negative contributions when considering stars of the games. And an uptick in turnovers is perfectly reasonable to dock someone’s rating for that consideration.

And never did I say he was a failure, his turnovers simply contributed to him falling outside the 3 best players of the game. If it was 5 stars of the game, then he would certainly have gotten one of my votes, but he didn’t quite make the cut for me.

Reactions: Blueston

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad