#3 Smyth-Horcoff-Hartikainen

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Hartikainen can skate and hit, he was designed for the third line and could make Jones expendable if needed. One or two trades could also solidify our bottom six fast as well, not that it's that bad either.

There could actually be a bit of dirty goals from this line. Smyth and Horcoff getting it done :laugh:

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
Hartikainen can skate and hit, he was designed for the third line and could make Jones expendable if needed. One or two trades could also solidify our bottom six fast as well, not that it's that bad either.

There could actually be a bit of dirty goals from this line. Smyth and Horcoff getting it done :laugh:

Say what?

I know his skating has improved since he came to NA, but it's definitely not a strength. He's still average at best.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Hmmm... I think that may end up being pretty debatable. I think Hartikainen ends up easily the better player, maybe not this year, and he's a terrific hitter which gives him a good chance to be elevated in the current lineup. In saying that Jones did well last year so i'd probably agree he has the edge as of now, but Hartikainen has the potential to change that. He was awesome in the AHL. Ryan Jones also very very sadly may have suffered a fairly significant eye injury.
Good reasonable post. I like Hartikainen a lot and I think he brings many of the things this team has in short supply right now.
Very happy and excited to see him getting a chance in the NHL.

I would add a qualification to your comment that Hartikainen has been "awesome" in the AHL.
I watched all but a handful of the Barons games this year and Hartikainen has been awesome one night and invisible the next.
Consistency of effort is one thing Jones has in spades over Hartikainen at this point in their careers.
There have been many games over the past two (lose on purpose) seasons when Ryan Jones has been one of the few guys looking like he was still trying to win.

WeridAl

YuckaFlux
Jan 30, 2012
10ft of Snow
IMO the Oilers should be worried if Ryan Smyth can hold out. The last 2 seasons he's burnt out half way though the season. Last year it could be said that Renney over played him, but I don't think this was the case in LA. Yes I know there only playing 48 games, but this is a tough schedule. Prefer to have Smyth play the 4th line and some PP and PK time thrown in, maybe even sit him out 5-10 games. Save him for the end of the season if the Oilers are in a playoff hunt. This would also give the Oilers a chance to give the young kids some experience.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I like the make-up of the line, but to be at its most effective the other team might have to be going at 80% speed. Although who knows, all of them being just okay skaters at this point might lead to them working better together. We've seen in the past how having one guy faster leads to tonnes of offsides/puck turnovers because the other two can't keep up... makes sense... right?

Njoy Oilers

Aug 6, 2010
Southern Alberta.
I see them more of a dump and chase/puck retrieval line more than a carry the puck in line. Sometimes Smyth carries the puck in along the wing and lets that classic muffin of a slap shot go.

And every once in awhile, that muffin gets eat in' :naughty:
He has much more value with his grittiness and net presence.
And he is Ryan ****ing Smyth!!:yo:

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
You love the idea of this line, but the frustrating thing is Horc and Smitty are pretty much at the end of their careers. They aren't even that effective in a checking role, not a lot of speed, not much finish. Smitty and Harti add some grit and toughness, yeah. This would've been a great line 3-4 years ago.

Personally I'd like to see:

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Hartikainen-Gagner-Yakupov
Smyth-Horcoff-Hemsky
Eager-Belanger-Jones

For the forward lines. Although it really is a bit of a mess any way you slice it.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Everyone seems to not know that most third lines in the NHL don't possess top notch speed, third lines aren't built on speed alone, talk about the grit/grinding in the corners as well. Lets expand our minds.

You want speed but you don't want Paajarvi on the third, of you critics. You critics.

Last edited:

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
You love the idea of this line, but the frustrating thing is Horc and Smitty are pretty much at the end of their careers. They aren't even that effective in a checking role, not a lot of speed, not much finish. Smitty and Harti add some grit and toughness, yeah. This would've been a great line 3-4 years ago.

Personally I'd like to see:

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Hartikainen-Gagner-Yakupov
Smyth-Horcoff-Hemsky
Eager-Belanger-Jones

For the forward lines. Although it really is a bit of a mess any way you slice it.

Hemsky is a top 6 player and I approve of Ralph, he knows hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad