GDT: #3: Sharks 8 at FLYERS 2, Tuesday, Oct. 9, 2018, 7:00 p.m. ET

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
While I am fully in agreement that I want Myers called up, there's no guarantee that he has any positive impact now (or ever for that matter). The question isn't should we bring him up (we should), it is what happens if he doesn't play the way we want? Where do we go from a RHD standpoint? Friedman isn't going to solve our problems if Myers can't.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
well, needless to say I made a wise choice turning the game and the computer off at 5-1. Probably should of pulled Elliot after the first, but how much would it of mattered? the team was ass last night in the period and a half I saw and it looks like it didnt get any better.
Guessing its Pickard's net tonight. first 5 minutes will be telling tonight. Boys need to back up the post game words right away with puck drop tonight.
Flyers are on pace to give up 54 shorties this year. good times.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
While I am fully in agreement that I want Myers called up, there's no guarantee that he has any positive impact now (or ever for that matter). The question isn't should we bring him up (we should), it is what happens if he doesn't play the way we want? Where do we go from a RHD standpoint? Friedman isn't going to solve our problems if Myers can't.

Whether he helps right the ship or not is besides the point. Regardless of that, he is in the long-term plans here and has great upside long-term. Guys like Mac, Folin, and Hagg don’t. So, even if by chance he isn’t an improvement, he’s at least getting the experience in and we’re making organizational progress. By putting him in the minors or barely playing guys like Konecny/Sanheim were just staying stagnant and ignoring league trends. Which are that speed and youth are the way to go.

The Sens, Canucks, and Habs already look better than expected because of guys like White, Chabot, Pettersson, Mete, and Kotkaniemi. Leafs went from scorched Earth to contenders in just a few years by only going with youth. Yet we’re here five to six years into it still slow cooking our best prospects and minimizing the role of our young players on the roster. Screw trends I guess?

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
That was an embarrassing game of hockey. SJ had a golden chance everytime Farmer was on the ice. He is such a joke of a player it hurts.

AMAC does suck, but last night there was zero pushback/resistance to the Sharks. Every time SJ entered the Flyers zone they pretty much were allowed to do whatever they wanted. No matter who was on the ice. Elliot gave up 8. He had allowed 5 when i shut the game off but it could of been 10-1 at that point. Elliot needs to be better. But to a man pretty much so does everyone else.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Whether he helps right the ship or not is besides the point. Regardless of that, he is in the long-term plans here and has great upside long-term. Guys like Mac, Folin, and Hagg don’t. So, even if by chance he isn’t an improvement, he’s at least getting the experience in and we’re making organizational progress. By putting him in the minors or barely playing guys like Konecny/Sanheim were just staying stagnant and ignoring league trends. Which are that speed and youth are the way to go.

The Sens, Canucks, and Habs already look better than expected because of guys like White, Chabot, Pettersson, Mete, and Kotkaniemi. Leafs went from scorched Earth to contenders in just a few years by only going with youth. Yet we’re here five to six years into it still slow cooking our best prospects and minimizing the role of our young players on the roster. Screw trends I guess?

Leafs went with a bunch of top 10 picks, Kadri, Marner, Reilly, Nylander and of course Matthews. Tanking does wonders for rebuilds if you're willing to wait 6-8 years. Babcock inherited a core of top picks and he had #4 and #1 (Matthews) his first two years on the job.
White is 22, Chabot struggled at 21, playing better this year at 22, Pettersson was #5 pick, made the NHL a year after Patrick, Mete? he's meh, Kotkaniemi was #3 pick.

If you want to cherry pick top five picks, or a few guys off to good starts, go ahead, but that doesn't mean every prospect is NHL ready.
Vorobyev won a job, Myers didn't, we saw them play and the difference was obvious.
Players develop at different rates, Twarynski out of juniors looks as good as NAK with two AHL seasons, Rubtsov and Kase looked ahead of schedule to me, but that was only one game.
I'll bet Farabee jumps right from college to the NHL, but Allison may spend some time in the AHL.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
If only the Flyers could've played a better Hakshell! Sure, Hakshell doesn't generate much offense, but a lot of the goals given up were due to blown assignments. It's imperative that the players know their defensive responsibilities and forgo unnecessary offensive risk by staying back and protecting the HDA, specifically the slot and that 15 foot bubble around the net. Had the skaters been more responsible, and prevented shots from these dangerous areas, maybe, just maybe Elliott would've had more of a fighting chance to make easier saves. It's possible, like in SJS first goal, that this better defensive posture could've resulted in a small, but likely, chance to counter attack! AMac is great at blocking shots, as is Hagg, and to an extent, Provy and Gudas. Ghost and Sanheim are horrible at blocking shots, and that's why they don't fit the Hakshell. They have some flash, but mostly that's overrated. So, with the defensemen that actually block shots, hopefully that leads to an unexpected zone clearing, and one of these younger guys folks seem to love can do something with the puck. Forwards are supposed to be creative, correct? Laughton, TK, they should remain in the shell, but higher, like just below the top of the circles, and when a blocked shot gets near the blue line, they could pick it up and skate in for a break away. Obviously, they need the ability to finish, and pot the puck in the net. Hakstol's system can work. Cede the blue line, get in position around the HDA, wave sticks at passing lanes, and ultimately, use your shin guards to block shots that maybe lead to offensive breakaways for the few players on the roster with the speed to actualize. It's all very very simple, c'mon man. #ObviousHeelTurn

Last edited:
Reactions: Beef Invictus

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Don't know if they need a Hakshell, but they need stronger back checking by forwards when the opposing team enters the D-zone.
How often did you see 3 on 2 and have to wait for a forward to come into the picture?
I think that is a problem with the young forwards (and some older ones), they're so eager to make an offensive play they don't drive as hard getting back - that was the impressive thing about the Sharks.

However, if the Sharks played that way every game, they'd be a 120 point team, which suggests we just caught them coming off a frustrating game that got them fired up - hopefully the Flyers will take that same attitude into Ottawa tonight.

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
john boruk is in serious denial, i mean did he watch this team in the last five years? nothing has changed, this team has gotten worse in my opinion especially on defense, besides provy and ghost, the rest are ahl at best players, it's not a recipe for success and the coaching is atrocious. im thinking this is going to be the 07 season all over again, not that i want that but something like this has to wake the fo to make a complete change gm and coach, they both have to go.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
john boruk is in serious denial, i mean did he watch this team in the last five years? nothing has changed, this team has gotten worse in my opinion especially on defense, besides provy and ghost, the rest are ahl at best players, it's not a recipe for success and the coaching is atrocious. im thinking this is going to be the 07 season all over again, not that i want that but something like this has to wake the fo to make a complete change gm and coach, they both have to go.
The team hasn’t gotten worse.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

I think you're missing my point. I agree Myers should be in the lineup. I'm just saying that he's pretty much it. He's not Plan B, he's Plan A for this organization long term. We don't have a Plan B from a RHD standpoint. Regardless of what happens with Myers this year, we should still be actively seeking an upgrade on the defense, especially a young RHD.

Reactions: Garbage Goal

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Overreaction to one bad game.
MacDonald looks like crap, Sanheim has been up and down, but Hagg is improved and Gudas, is well, Gudas.

The forwards are deeper, but some growing pains are to be expected with 3 starters who are rookies or 2nd year players and TK.
JVR will be missed. Weal is not the answer.

Just get some decent goaltending and this team will be fine, it's not a Cup contender, but they should make the playoffs.
Pray for Pickard.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think you're missing my point. I agree Myers should be in the lineup. I'm just saying that he's pretty much it. He's not Plan B, he's Plan A for this organization long term. We don't have a Plan B from a RHD standpoint. Regardless of what happens with Myers this year, we should still be actively seeking an upgrade on the defense, especially a young RHD.

What's wrong with Friedman?
He's not a top four guy right now, but has the basic skills, speed, short but stout, good skill package, seems to be fundamentally sound.
Like Myers I'd like to see him stay in the AHL for another half season, but it won't surprise me if both are up next spring.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Don't know if they need a Hakshell, but they need stronger back checking by forwards when the opposing team enters the D-zone.
How often did you see 3 on 2 and have to wait for a forward to come into the picture?
I think that is a problem with the young forwards (and some older ones), they're so eager to make an offensive play they don't drive as hard getting back - that was the impressive thing about the Sharks.

However, if the Sharks played that way every game, they'd be a 120 point team, which suggests we just caught them coming off a frustrating game that got them fired up - hopefully the Flyers will take that same attitude into Ottawa tonight.

There's a big difference between San Jose and Philadelphia. Look at how they play. There's structure, there's organization and there's absolute buy in to what DeBoer is doing. Every player. They know what the expectations are.

There is a serious disconnect between the players and coaching staff. Clearly Hakstol isn't getting through to everyone. It is a disorganized mess. And before you go on about the players, he's the coach. Everything about game planning falls on him.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Obviously, the Caps should have fired Trotz after that debacle against the Flyers, I mean the guy can't get the team over the hump, then he's embarrassed by a team full of AHL caliber players. What more evidence of incompetence do you need? :sarcasm:

Let's not get carried away by one game.

My classic was when the Rich Kotite Eagles started 7-2, with the 7th win a blowout of the 49ers in SF.
Eagles then lost 9 in a row and the 49ers went on to win the SB.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Obviously, the Caps should have fired Trotz after that debacle against the Flyers, I mean the guy can't get the team over the hump, then he's embarrassed by a team full of AHL caliber players. What more evidence of incompetence do you need? :sarcasm:

My classic was when the Rich Kotite Eagles started 7-2, with the 7th win a blowout of the 49ers in SF.

Did the Caps have a long history of poor games and poor coaching from Trotz like the Flyers do with Hakstol?

The answer is no, which means your comparison fails completely.

We aren't talking about 1 game. Last night isn't just 1 game. It's one disaster of many under Hakstol.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario

It would be different if it were one game, but we're talking about a coach in Hakstol who has had three 10 game winless streaks, two within the same calendar year and then had an 11 game win streak and still failed to qualify for the playoffs. That's the epitome of incompetence. And it's not just Hakstol to blame either. You can also look at his clueless assistants in Murphy and Laperriere, two guys he could have replaced, but chose to keep them onboard.

Say what you want, but this is a poorly coached club. With the talent they have, there's no reason why they should be executing so poorly as they do. That, once again, is a coaching issue.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
What talent do they have? With JVR out, it's pretty much last year's talent plus Vorobyev (minus Filppula) with Elliott playing like playoff Elliott.
Yes, Lindblom and Patrick and Sanheim have shown flashes, but aren't top players quite yet.
Let's not get carried away, this team is slowly improving, but is still a work in progress.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
What talent do they have? With JVR out, it's pretty much last year's talent plus Vorobyev (minus Filppula) with Elliott playing like playoff Elliott.
Yes, Lindblom and Patrick and Sanheim have shown flashes, but aren't top players quite yet.
Let's not get carried away, this team is slowly improving, but is still a work in progress.

Let's not get carried away in defending the coaching staff - this is not a well coached club.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
What's wrong with Friedman?
He's not a top four guy right now, but has the basic skills, speed, short but stout, good skill package, seems to be fundamentally sound.
Like Myers I'd like to see him stay in the AHL for another half season, but it won't surprise me if both are up next spring.
There is nothing "wrong" with him but seemingly best case scenario for him is a top 4 guy but far from a guarantee that he gets there. We have a couple guys with top four ceilings. A prospect like Myers seems right now to be a safe bet to ultimately get there and possibly exceed that role. In the system Myers is the only guy we have there, especially on a RH shot. Morin was that when we drafted him but I don't know if he still is that guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad