3 Playoff Teams that Will Take a Step Back

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
1. Rangers: They will make the playoff, however will take a step back. They will miss Carl Hagelin and Zuccarello who went through PT, OT & ST, can't be 100% and will probably play with less intensity, which is a big part of his game. He could be one big hit from a serious injury. I pray that doesn't happen.

2. Ottawa: Won't make the playoffs. Hamburgerler, chop-meat, whatever they call their goaltender, I doubt he replicates last year's performance.

3. Chicago: will make the playoffs, however, will not get to the finals or even the conference championship. Age, wear and tear and could be shy one superstar in Kane and minus Brandon Saad.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Agreed on Ottawa. They aren't very good and a horrible possession team. They were on a hot streak for the last two months of the season. I thought they were pretty lucky just to be a playoff team under Paul MacLean those couple years.

I also think one of Winnipeg or Calgary will be out this year, if not both.

I would say Calgary has the best chance of getting back in out of the two though. Vancouver might fall out due to crappy goaltending and maybe overachieving a bit last year. Miller stinks and Markstrom is a bust and has never been any good at the NHL level.

With Vancouver taking a step back I think and San Jose hiring Dumbeor and their locker room meltdown which might be incoming, I think Calgary can get back in. I expect LAK to get back in that division, though their offense isn't very good.

Winnipeg will have a tough time, I think Dallas gets back into the playoffs in that division.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
Agreed on Ottawa. They aren't very good and a horrible possession team. They were on a hot streak for the last two months of the season. I thought they were pretty lucky just to be a playoff team under Paul MacLean those couple years.

I would say Calgary has the best chance of getting back in out of the two though. Vancouver might fall out due to crappy goaltending and maybe overachieving a bit last year. Miller stinks and Markstrom is a bust and has never been any good at the NHL level.

With Vancouver taking a step back I think and San Jose hiring Dumbeor and their locker room meltdown which might be incoming, I think Calgary can get back in. I expect LAK to get back in that division, though their offense isn't very good.

Winnipeg will have a tough time, I think Dallas gets back into the playoffs in that division.

I agree with a lot of what you and BKD said, except for Ottawa. I think they will actually step up not back as guys like Hoffman and Stone only keep improving.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012

Fun Fact: Stars had more points last year than they did the year before in which they made the playoffs.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I agree with a lot of what you and BKD said, except for Ottawa. I think they will actually step up not back as guys like Hoffman and Stone only keep improving.

Their defense is still an absolute mess, or at least their system of play does not translate to suppressing shots against. It could change with the new coach, but I don't think their shots against went down significantly when Cameron took over after Paulrus was fired. As far as shots against go, they've been like we were last year for the last 3 or 4 years easily. Just with better offense and more shots for than us also. Paul MacLean was the most overrated head coach in the NHL because Ottawa was making the playoffs with him and their lineup was heavily depleted that one year.

The truth is that their goaltending has been out of this world. I'm not talking about the Hamburglar either, Craig Anderson has been very good for them and is very underrated. In fact, the year that he wasn't good at all was the only season they've missed the playoffs in the last 4 years. I think he'll continue to be good, the Hamburglar might be a good backup for them.

They also ROBBED Buffalo of a first round pick for Robin Lehner. So they should be making out pretty good with a top 10 pick, even if they are a playoff team.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Fun Fact: Stars had more points last year than they did the year before in which they made the playoffs.

I don't think anyone in that division finished with less than 90-92 points or something like that? Even Colorado who finished in last had like 90 or 92 points?

Winnipeg has had atrocious goaltending for years now, with the exception of last season. While Dallas has had really good goaltending for years now (even when they sucked) and last year was an exception when they didn't. If Winnipeg's starting goaltender had the 903 save percentage last season (like he does every season) and Dallas's starting goaltender had the 920 save percentage (like he does every other season), Dallas easily makes the playoffs and Winnipeg doesn't. Not saying that cause of my bias and issues with Winnipeg's fanbase, it's just the god's honest truth. Dallas was also the second highest scoring team in the league last year, they also appear to have gotten better in the offseason.

I'm not convinced Nashville is a playoff team again either, they have a lot of retread forwards that aren't that great. Somehow they're usually competitive at the very worst and in the playoffs more than half the time.

Colorado will probably be in the mix again, though I like Dallas getting in ahead of them. Minnesota will probably stay in, though no way Dubnyk is as good as that stretch last season.

I'm still surprised Dallas got Niemi. Lehtonen has been one of the best and more consistent goaltenders in the league, then he has one bad season and they're investing in another NHL starting caliber goaltender. That's odd to me, maybe they think Lehtonen is really cooked due to some kind of knowledge they have about his health that isn't exactly public? He's only turning 32 this season and it was just one bad season.

GhostofKenKlee

Eastern teams worst next season:

Ottawa
Rangers
Flyers
Capitals
Canes
Tampa
Detroit
Montreal
Boston
Florida

Tampa won't hit 50 games won again. Montreal is a two trick pony and didn't improve. Detroit we will see how great Babcock was and is.

Teams that will be better:

Islanders
Devils
Sabres
Toronto
Columbus (overhyped team calling it now)
Pittsburgh (Kessel was genius pickup)

Outside of Tampa/Montreal/Pittsburgh, I'm not making any playoff picks.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The Capitals should automatically be awarded some kind of a cup if they can beat the Rangers in a playoff series.

I mean hell, they should be awarded a cup or some kind of prize if they lose to the Rangers in the playoffs without ever having a 2 game lead in the series.

The Capitals really need a 2002 Devils style culture change. Not a total rebuild, just trading some valuable pieces for comparable valuables.

Though it won't happen because those kinds of trades and moves rarely seem to happen anymore.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Rags won't represent the east next year. Playoff team definitely but their possession numbers were already bad and their loses will hurt them in that regard.

Calgary got better this offseason. While their 3rd period luck should have worn off. Their overall team should be good enough to see them at least repeat last year's success.

i honestly wouldn't be shocked if the Isles stayed the same or took a step back.

Idk predicting the East right now is a bit hard for me outside of Carolina most likely being at the bottom.

Also I can see Florida making the playoffs over Ottawa.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Rags won't represent the east next year. Playoff team definitely but their possession numbers were already bad and their loses will hurt them in that regard.

Calgary got better this offseason. While their 3rd period luck should have worn off. Their overall team should be good enough to see them at least repeat last year's success.

i honestly wouldn't be shocked if the Isles stayed the same or took a step back.

Idk predicting the East right now is a bit hard for me outside of Carolina most likely being at the bottom.

Also I can see Florida making the playoffs over Ottawa.

I think the Islanders will either finish fourth or fifth in the Metro. I won't do predictions yet, Islanders will either just miss or just make it in though. At least that's what I think. If Carolina doesn't finish last then it's a miracle.

I absolutely think Florida can make the playoffs. If they didn't start to sputter a little bit in January and February, they would have made it. They still could have made it if not for that crazy and unsustainable Ottawa Hamburglar hot streak. When Jagr came at the end of February, they seemed to pick it back up a little bit and get back into things. That damn Ottawa hot streak is what kept them out.

I don't see Boston getting it, though Vancouver made it in last season after a real blow up and a bunch of WTF moves last offseason. I'd be surprised with Boston getting in with this offseason blowup though. I think they could have easily bounced back and made it back to the playoffs again this year if they hadn't changed so much there. They might have a nice pick for Martin Jones too, who never even suited up for them, on top of all those first rounders they got this past draft. I don't think most of them if any of them will be ready for this season. That 3rd round pick for that scrub and POS Rinaldo was a joke though. They're already looking like the new regime are a bunch of crazies up there.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I think the Islanders will either finish fourth or fifth in the Metro. I won't do predictions yet, Islanders will either just miss or just make it in though. At least that's what I think. If Carolina doesn't finish last then it's a miracle.

I absolutely think Florida can make the playoffs. If they didn't start to sputter a little bit in January and February, they would have made it. They still could have made it if not for that crazy and unsustainable Ottawa Hamburglar hot streak. When Jagr came at the end of February, they seemed to pick it back up a little bit and get back into things. That damn Ottawa hot streak is what kept them out.

I don't see Boston getting it, though Vancouver made it in last season after a real blow up and a bunch of WTF moves last offseason. I'd be surprised with Boston getting in with this offseason blowup though. I think they could have easily bounced back and made it back to the playoffs again this year if they hadn't changed so much there. They might have a nice pick for Martin Jones too, who never even suited up for them, on top of all those first rounders they got this past draft. I don't think most of them if any of them will be ready for this season. That 3rd round pick for that scrub and POS Rinaldo was a joke though. They're already looking like the new regime are a bunch of crazies up there.

Florida has enough talent that has some more experience now that they SHOULD make it in. Especially over Ottawa and Boston teams that should miss.

Wings will be interesting. That is still a playoff roster but now Babs is gone. They might take a step back into a wildcard position but I would be shocked if they miss (and I don't see anyone else in the Atlantic booting them. Leafs are not sniffing the playoffs)

Metro side. I think Columbus is over hyped but they are still a good roster and should at worst challenge for s playoff spot of healthy. They could knock the Isles out of a spot potentially (or even the Penguins. I don't buy Pitt is safe even with Kessel)

Flyers will be chilling with us battling for draft position in the standings. Canes should be behind us both pretty steadily.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007

Dallas was considered to get in last season. They still need to work on their defense. They have a lot of firepower up front..

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007

Bleed you forgot about Boston. Didnt they come ahead of Florida also? I meant it for last season and in relation to Florida.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Florida has enough talent that has some more experience now that they SHOULD make it in. Especially over Ottawa and Boston teams that should miss.

Wings will be interesting. That is still a playoff roster but now Babs is gone. They might take a step back into a wildcard position but I would be shocked if they miss (and I don't see anyone else in the Atlantic booting them. Leafs are not sniffing the playoffs)

Metro side. I think Columbus is over hyped but they are still a good roster and should at worst challenge for s playoff spot of healthy. They could knock the Isles out of a spot potentially (or even the Penguins. I don't buy Pitt is safe even with Kessel)

Flyers will be chilling with us battling for draft position in the standings. Canes should be behind us both pretty steadily.
I think Pittsburgh is safe to make the playoffs, though they could be due for a collapse, even if it only lasts one season. I just don't see them going far yet again. Their offense is decent for a few years but their goaltending stinks. Then their goaltending is good for the last couple playoffs and their offense (and big guns) is pathetic. I think they'll disappoint yet again. The Blue Jacket's have gotta be the streakiest team I've EVER seen quite possibly. They always seem to either be on some crazy winning streak, or some really long losing streak. Even last year with all their injuries, they mustered up a pretty lengthy winning streak. I think we might have even ended one of their more lengthy losing streaks too.:rant:
Dallas was considered to get in last season. They still need to work on their defense. They have a lot of firepower up front..
If their goaltending gets back to where it has been for the last few years (with the exception of last season), they should be back in. I predicted them to miss last season, but I never thought it would be because Kari Lehtonen had the worst season of his career, yet they would also finish second in the league in scoring and still miss.
Bleed you forgot about Boston. Didnt they come ahead of Florida also? I meant it for last season and in relation to Florida.
I think Boston has to be out this year. Florida has a good chance. I think they'll fight it out with Ottawa for the 4th spot in that division. They might be able to get into the third spot in that division if they have a really good season. It could be Detroit battling for that 4th spot and right on the bubble. Florida would have made it in last year if they had that hot streak and Ottawa didn't have that wildly unsustainable run. They did get hot again after acquiring Jagr, but they seemed to flounder and lose steam from right before the all star break till the time they got Jagr from us. It was too late by then. If Ottawa wasn't so hot then, they probably still could have got in even with the lousy late January and February.

And let's hope for the love of god that Washington doesn't make it, or maybe the Rangers miss, which would be even better. I would rather electrocute myself than ever have to watch another Rangers/Capitals playoff series AGAIN!

The Capitals should be AUTOMATICALLY eliminated from the playoffs if they wind up drawing the Rangers. If they get them in round 1, they should have to forfeit their position and give it to the next highest seed. If they get to round 2 only to draw the Rangers that round, they should automatically have the decision in their round 1 matchup reversed.

They should automatically get some kind of participation cup in the almost impossible chance that they beat the Rangers in a playoff series. They should even get ribbon's if they manage to lose to the Rangers without ever having at least a 2 game or more lead in the series. If there's any team in the league that needs a 2002 Devils like shakeup, it's absolutely hands down the Capitals. Not a total rebuild but just some kind of a shakeup to get some of these guys out of there for equal talents somewhere else. They need it in the worst kind of way.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
No way the Caps miss. I would be pretty shocked honestly. They should have enough to solidly get in.

Isles might be the team that had to fight harder to stay in. They also won't have the loud crowds at Barclays that they had last year.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
No way the Caps miss. I would be pretty shocked honestly. They should have enough to solidly get in.

Isles might be the team that had to fight harder to stay in. They also won't have the loud crowds at Barclays that they had last year.

I don't really think the Capitals will miss either. Though just so I don't have to see them lose to the Rangers in the playoffs again (because you just know they will at this point) and the Rangers get an automatic ticket to go a round further than they might not have gotten to against another team.

Though that would be all the better if the Rangers miss, though I think there's a better chance the Capitals will, even though I don't think either will.

The only definite prediction I'm willing to make for the Metro just yet is the Islanders will finish either 4th or 5th. I think they'll either just barely make the playoffs, or just barely miss the playoffs. That's not a definite prediction though since it's an either or.

But for an actual DEFINITE prediction, the Hurricanes finish dead last in the Metro and it AINEC.

Is Cam Ward (or whatever is left of his remains) still their starter? Cam Ward is only 31 years old, born in 1984 LOL. It appears they got Lack to be the goalie of the future. Vancouver is gonna regret that one big time, as Miller is well on his way to becoming just as well done burnt to the crisp as Mr. Con Smythe is. And Markstrom is so incredibly bad at the NHL level. He's sunk so much when given NHL time, I'm not sure how they've been able to keep getting him to spit the water back up out of his chest. The two things he's got going for him is that he's the current leaning tower of padsa in the NHL AND he must have the strongest set of lungs there is. He's always somehow able to keep from completely drowning. I remember he gave up 3 goals on 4 shots against the Sharks in the first 5 minutes of the game last season. I think it was his first NHL action of last season.

Speaking of Carolina, I'm surprised Karmanos allowed a buyout on Semin this offseason. Must have gotten money as gifts from his family and friends for his HOF induction.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I think the Caps are gonna be one of the best teams in the East next season. For me, top spot's between them, Tampa, and Pittsburgh.

I think the Rangers are gonna find themselves in a tough spot. Hard to bet against Lundqvist when it comes to missing the playoffs, but their D looks worse with each passing year and Nash is only getting older. I just went to their generalfanager page and couldn't help but laugh out loud at the Staal and Girardi contracts. And three more years for a 30 year old Kevin Klein? Sounds good to me.

markog

Apr 4, 2008
Slovenia
Their defense is still an absolute mess, or at least their system of play does not translate to suppressing shots against. It could change with the new coach, but I don't think their shots against went down significantly when Cameron took over after Paulrus was fired. As far as shots against go, they've been like we were last year for the last 3 or 4 years easily. Just with better offense and more shots for than us also. Paul MacLean was the most overrated head coach in the NHL because Ottawa was making the playoffs with him and their lineup was heavily depleted that one year.

The truth is that their goaltending has been out of this world. I'm not talking about the Hamburglar either, Craig Anderson has been very good for them and is very underrated. In fact, the year that he wasn't good at all was the only season they've missed the playoffs in the last 4 years. I think he'll continue to be good, the Hamburglar might be a good backup for them.

They also ROBBED Buffalo of a first round pick for Robin Lehner. So they should be making out pretty good with a top 10 pick, even if they are a playoff team.

They got 2015 1 rounder.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad