Speculation: 3 Players the Winnipeg Jets Could Draft 9th Overall

UpsideHockey

Jan 6, 2004
Calgary, Canada
bit.ly
3 Players the Winnipeg Jets Could Draft 9th Overall by THW's Eric McKelvie

Intro Excerpt:

"The Winnipeg Jets will select ninth overall in the 2014 NHL entry draft on June 27 in Philadelphia. General manager Kevin Cheveldayoff will look to cash in as he did with Mark Scheifele (seventh overall, 2011), Jacob Trouba (ninth overall, 2012) and even Josh Morrissey (13th overall, 2013).

Like the trio listed above, the Jets first pick in this draft likely won’t be ready for NHL action for at least a year, if not two. But, the player selected could be a part of the core group long-term, as it appears Scheifele and Trouba will be. With that in mind, here are three players that the Jets may have the opportunity to select ninth overall."

Click here for full article

Also see who the Jets virtually selected in the in depth 3 round mock draft, The Next Ones Final Edition, complete with commentary, stats and demographics on all picks:

Link here

The official THW draft HQ page is live as well:

2014 NHL Draft Guide: The Next Ones

Much to be added (we constantly updated as new material published), but a great starting point for your draft needs.

- featuring profiles (>100 thus far), rankings, mocks, unique perspectives & much more

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I like Perlini, I have to admit. He fits Chevy's mold

Hmmmmm... Perlini is one of the guys I don't like. This is based on a limited viewing at the U-18 tournament, but he looked very underwhelming there, with a very perimiter-oriented game. Virtanen looked much better in that setting.

JCLiponfanboy*

I'll be happy if they don't pick Ritchie, Perlini or Virtanen. I am hoping For Ehlers, Nylander or Larkin. Tuch or Milano wouldn't be bad either. I'm kind of borderline with Virtanen.

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
I'm hoping for Nylander or Perlini. :handclap: I know some people don't like Perlini as a pick but I think he's got a pretty decent potential. Nylander is definitely my first choice though.

GGSmitty

Sep 25, 2012
Winnipeg
Based on some of the tendencies that the organization has shown in the draft over the last three years I could see the jets targeting these 3 players at #9:

Dylan Larkin (high character, 200 foot player, USA NDTP grad)

Robby Fabbri (my take is that if he was 6'0 he would be right there with the Sam's, high hockey IQ and clutch performer)

Travis Sanheim (very quick riser, size and skating, has been compared to Trouba but shoots left, not to mention a MB boy)

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I just hope Winnipeg doesn't take someone off the board. If we get Ehlers I would be so very happy. He had an astronomical jump in ranking and that fits what Cheveldayoff likes to do.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
Yeah: which board? The MSM and blog draft boards are all over the place, and each team will have their own. Technically, whomever they pick is exactly where they're expected to go, based on the team's draft ranking. ;)

Every time I hear that phrase it bugs me more and more

Nothing Is New

Sep 26, 2011
Don't have a feel for Chevy being a BPA type or a draft-to-need type. Perlini and Kempe, per consensus, would be a little of a reach. Nylander, OTOH, doesn't seem to play great two-way hockey. But, I would take him at 9. Pure offensive talent and speed are scarce.

Senorsmooth

Wheels is my captain
Jun 27, 2014
Manitoba's Parkland
Ehlers or Nylander. Virtanen is flawed between the ears and has the hockey IQ of a nine year old in house league. Perlini is definitely a perimeter player and I can't help but think he will be pushed out to the press box or as a servicable third liner in the AHL.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I have a strong feeling right now that the Jets will take Robby Fabbri. They take surprise picks that end up being steals, like Scheifele when he was ranked somewhere between 15-45. Trouba who was ranked 10-15 I believe, could be wrong. And Morrissey who was ranked 18-40. Also Fabbri and Kosmachuk were line-mates.

EDIT: Was wrong. Happy with the pick though.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad