Speculation: 3 Player Performances that Could Make Us Cup Favourites

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I did this a long time ago, but it was in the sad days of "3 player performances that might get us to the playoffs"

So it's simple, list 3 player performances that you think could make us go from cup contenders to cup favourites. You can assume that players like McDavid will have elite seasons, so should you list him, go above and beyond with something like "125-140 point season"

Here are my 3:

1) Jesse Puljujarvi - If the kid needs another year to develop, I am fine with that. But if he's ready to go and play to his potential (Marner/Nylander type production) we will have elite balanced scoring that no team in the West could match.

2) Oscar Klefbom - He has played games that show he's a steady top pairing guy. He has also had a few gems that have given hope to him being a strong #1 dman. If Klef takes a step forward and becomes an undesputed #1 dman, we can beat anyone.

3) Darnell Nurse - All the tools in the world to be one of the most dangerous 2nd pairing dmen in the game. With Sekera out, the opportunity is there. If Nurse can put the tool box together, Calgary won't be laughing with their deep defensive core.

How about you?

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Talbot - goaltending wins you games. Need Talbot to take another step forward.

Draisaitl - If he turns into Malkin 2.0 we have a good shot at cup... 90pts+ from 2nd line

Nurse - have no issues with top pairing.. If Nurse becomes a solid Dman and maybe even develops a bomb from point this team will go places. McDavid uses his Dmen as much as his linemates. He can make both Nurse and Klefbom 15 goal scorers.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
1) Talbot- elite last season but has to repeat it. Not a lock to have same performance. Arguably responsible for as many wins as Mcdavid. Goalies can win a cup in playoffs too

2) Larsson- For me Klefbom had his breakout season last year and Im confident will repeat. Larsson had a good year but I still feel has upside to give. Larsson taking the step to be a great #2 or borderline #1 could give us one of best pairings in NHL

3) RNH- I loved his playoffs and I think his shutdown game is going to shine thru next year. If he can be a beast shutdown center (while providing offense), I think he can be an xfactor in the regular season and especially playoffs. Being able to roll McDavid then a shutdown center would be a duo not many teams could handle. It would allow so many line combos to happen that would make the forward core very good

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Talbot maintains his level of performance.

Klefbom shows signs he's a legit #1.

RNH ups his 5vs5 offense which creates a matchup nightmare for the opposition.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Hard to really pin it on 3 players

You have to assume McDavid and Drai will do their things.

I would probably say:

1) Talbot - If you're goalie doesnt show up, you have no hope

2) Klefbom/Larsson pairing - Really is 2 ppl but if this pairing turns into a #1/2 night in and night out, on a consistent basis, it makes us that much tougher

3) RNH - I think if he can get some of his offensive creativity back and starts to focus more on the offensive side, it makes us a much tougher team to play against.

Puljujarvi is a very important piece going forward as well. If he can transform into the player, that we thought we were getting, it makes the Oilers a very dangerous team. I think we can be patient with him though, but I hope they give the kid a bit more rope to play with this year and he takes it and runs with it.

The Batman

Registered Superhero
Sep 30, 2014
Batcave
This is a tough one. There are several players who can help the team in a big way and we can divide them into two main groups: 1) those who just need to continue their play from last season (McDavid, Talbot, Draisaitl, Klefbom, etc.) and 2) those who need to get back to or meet their potential (RNH, Strome, Nurse, Puljujarvi, etc.)

I have more faith in the first group then the second group. My picks will basically be players who under performed although there's no denying how critical it is for the first group to continue their success:

RNH - Was grittier and showed some offensive flashes reminiscent of the Baby Nuge during the playoffs. Needs to continue this effort in the regular season and actually put up points with his sneaky wrister. That would let us reunite the NHL's deadlist duo of Drai and McDavid

Nurse - He's a hard worker who is always looking to improve his game but he needs the IQ to put it together. With Sekera out he needs to step up his game big time and show us why we drafted him so high

Puljujarvi - He has a great mentor now (which Yakupov never had in his early years. JJ is going to be huge for Pulju) and hopefully another year in North America has worn down the culture shock. Always love big players with skill

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Drai + Klef + Puljujarvi take the next steps in their development and it's game over.

If McDavid can develop his shot as he said he is focusing on too ... RIP NHL goalies.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I would say :
1. Talbot - Our success really hinges on him as he carried the full load last season. We need a tremendous year from him if we want to sniff the cup
2. RNH- He really needs to step up offensively this season to give us some secondary scoring. If he or Eberle could have potted a couple in the playoffs we could have reached the semifinals
3. Nurse/Benning - At least one of these two will have to step up big time while Sekera is out. They were the weak links in the playoffs (and rightfully so since they are young) so im hoping they progress further this season

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Let's assume that none of our top 5 players regress...

1) One of Nurse or Benning - With Sekera out we need someone to step up.
2) Drake - He was like 0.1 seconds off from getting a dozen goals last year. If his timing is spot on this year, he's gonna get a huge raise.
3) Lucic - Now that he's been through a few playoff wars with our team I'm expecting him to be more emotionally invested in the team and if that's the case we'll see more hustle, physicality and offense out of the big guy.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Let's assume that none of our top 5 players regress...

1) One of Nurse or Benning - With Sekera out we need someone to step up.
2) Drake - He was like 0.1 seconds off from getting a dozen goals last year. If his timing is spot on this year, he's gonna get a huge raise.
3) Lucic - Now that he's been through a few playoff wars with our team I'm expecting him to be more emotionally invested in the team and if that's the case we'll see more hustle, physicality and offense out of the big guy.

Agreed on Lucic. IIRC he even admitted himself it took him a while to get there last season.

Not a whole lot of change on the roster, and he's not the only guy who has to go to war for us. I think he will have a big year.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
The replacement for Sekera is a key. You only got 3 reliable defensemen.

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
#1 Puljujarvi - if he manages to play at level needed for top6 role and score PP goals from Ovie office I see huge potential for this team.
#2 Klefbom - continues to develop with same path he has done last couple seasons and he will be our #1D
#3 Gaggiula needs to be more sharp with finishing and he can give lots of scoring depth for the team

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
If McDavid, no when McDavid learns playoff hockey he is 1 2 and 3. A cup is coming.

He's an incredible player, but there needs to be a solid basis and some other special tools in the team as well. I'm not worried about the basis but those extra tools will define whether or not the team is good enough for winning the cup. Assuming that Talbot and the main defenders play at their best I would say:

1. Drai as the 2C

Drai can halp turn the 1st line even into the best in the league, but if the Oilers can create an excellent 1st line without him they'll be an even stronger team. Last year Pulju did well in the few games he had in the 1st line, so maybe at least later on in the season he, JJ or someone else could be efficient in that role too. If the Oilers need to score at the end of games a combination of forwards such as McDavid, Drai, Pulju and JJ/Lucic should be pretty lethal.

2. Pulju

Jesse could've been drafted at #1 in some years (maybe this year too) and his potential is still extremely high. IMO the question is if he'll get close enough to the peak already this season or if he'll just be a reliable top9 player.

Last year Pulju did pretty well with offensive forwards, but not as well (productively) when playing with Caggiula (who wasn't quite that ready at that time) and Pouliot. He may still need good enough players around to get himself to free spots (like with Laine in Winnipeg), but the good thing is that with JJ and Strome there are plenty of suitable players also for the 3rd line.

3. RNH (or Kelfbom)

RNH definitely has potential for more, but this may be the final year to show it in the Oilers. He's currently seen as a pretty defensive forward, but it's worrying that his +- seems to be negative each year. Well the Oilers weren't such a good team for some years, but also last year it was -13. With that number he needs to create more in the offensive zone. We'll see if this is the year it happens. The potential should stil be there.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
1. McDavid

Transcendent season. 125+ points. No player has gotten that many points in a decade. It would definitely mean he has taken his game to a higher level. Oilers probably wire to wire Pacific winners in that scenario.

2. Nurse

If he steps up and is truly ready to be a second line defenceman. That will help the Oilers play well early in the season. They won't have to rush Sekera back. Allows Benning to play a more natural role as the leader on the third pairing.

3. Puljujarvi

Proves that he belongs in the NHL. He has the potential to be a first line RW in this league. If he has an outstanding training camp and earns that role on opening night it could help this team be as dominant as it could be.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Nurse, Cagguila and Brossoit for me.

The young d need to continue to progress for success. Klefbom was looking great last season. Nurse will continue to progress.

Caggiula was looking decent in March and April. I believe he's adapted now but still progressing.

We don't need to rush Puljujarvi with the forward depth today.

Brossoit needs to show that he's an nhl calibre goalie who can let Talbot rest when needed.

Last edited:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
If McDavid can be the best player in the world in the playoffs like he was in the regular season we probably have a good chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad