3 On 3 Overtime

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Who do you want out there for it, and what are your thoughts on it?

I like it a lot more than going for the mixed 4 v. 4 then 3 v. 3 setup, as games won't last longer, but there will hopefully be more chances to end the game in OT as opposed to the shootout.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Who do you want out there for it, and what are your thoughts on it?

I like it a lot more than going for the mixed 4 v. 4 then 3 v. 3 setup, as games won't last longer, but there will hopefully be more chances to end the game in OT as opposed to the shootout.
Depends when I see the roster next year.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I don't get the other two rules. If you are trying to aide scoring in the NHL, why do you give coaches the ability to challenge goals on offsides and crease/goalie interference. That reduces scoring. :shrugs

I like the 3 on 3 OT.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
The thing about this is that I'm thinking you might be looking for pickups who can play with no checking whatsoever for five minutes all out. Imagine Max A, if that existed.

You probably still need some shootout guys too but they will be less important.

If the goal is to make the playoffs, 5-6 OT points could be the difference.

Smart NHL managers will accommodate for this in their rosters.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
The thing about this is that I'm thinking you might be looking for pickups who can play with no checking whatsoever for five minutes all out. Imagine Max A, if that existed.

You probably still need some shootout guys too but they will be less important.

If the goal is to make the playoffs, 5-6 OT points could be the difference.

Smart NHL managers will accommodate for this in their rosters.

Nobody's going to pickup a roster player just for overtime periods. The 5-6 points you may pick up in the OT period are going to be lost by carrying dead weight in your roster for the rest of the games.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I don't get the other two rules. If you are trying to aide scoring in the NHL, why do you give coaches the ability to challenge goals on offsides and crease/goalie interference. That reduces scoring. :shrugs

I like the 3 on 3 OT.

The technicality of overturning a bad goal doesn't negatively impact the sport. It's not like fans are going to say "wow this game would have been more exciting if that offsides goal had counted".

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Maybe add an article to the OP so everyone knows what's happening?

I personally don't get why the NHLPA is adamantly opposing the mixed model (4 on 4 and then 3 on 3), and said they wanted all 3 on 3 or no change at all. I just don't get the rationale behind that position. I personally love to keep the 5 of 4 on 4 followed by 5 of 3 on 3, but I would understand the opposition to playing more from the NHLPA.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan

I personally don't get why the NHLPA is adamantly opposing the mixed model (4 on 4 and then 3 on 3), and said they wanted all 3 on 3 or no change at all. I just don't get the rationale behind that position. I personally love to keep the 5 of 4 on 4 followed by 5 of 3 on 3, but I would understand the opposition to playing more from the NHLPA.

My guess is the players don't want the games to be unnecessarily longer than they already are. The NHL season is a grind.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

It's all about game length. What players don't get is that a 10 minute OT isn't any longer than 5 minutes + a shootout. I like the 10 minute mixed OT idea. It showed in the AHL to drastically reduces shootouts. Still, I prefer this new rule to how it was.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Nobody's going to pickup a roster player just for overtime periods. The 5-6 points you may pick up in the OT period are going to be lost by carrying dead weight in your roster for the rest of the games.

Wrong. Ability in a shoot out has been pretty damn important. I'm not saying the guy can be Andrew Peters otherwise but a softer player might have more value today.

I can think of border line Sabres I might have held onto a little longer because of 3-3 and shoot out.

Dec 8, 2013
Monte Carlo
I wish they'd just go back to regulation ties, but Murica MUST have a winner every night for some reason

But, whatever lessens shootouts is fine by me. I really wish they'd end

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Wrong. Ability in a shoot out has been pretty damn important. I'm not saying the guy can be Andrew Peters otherwise but a softer player might have more value today.

I can think of border line Sabres I might have held onto a little longer because of 3-3 and shoot out.

A player like Gerbe comes to mind. Small guy who is good defensively and plays a chippy game such that he can fit onto a 3rd or 4th line, but then in 3 on 3 you could really see his skill emerge.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I dont get it. Who is murica?

Chuck-norris-murica.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad