News Article: 3 on 3 OT?

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Yes, yes, a thousand times yes. I can deal with a 5% chance of a shootout - that's 4 games per year.

That said, can't the "real games don't end in ties" folks deal with a tie game four times per year? With only 4 games on average per team per year, there's no way to tell if a team in general, or an individual player, is good or bad at shootouts, and no reason to practice penalty shots other than the 1 or 2 times per year that you actually get a penalty shot. It's REALLY delving into coin flip territory.

Strange Universe

Apr 8, 2009
I am glad to hear about the league looking at the possibility of 3 on 3 and the goalie interference review as well.
These are positive changes if they do come into fruition as quickly as next year.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It just is too gimmicky. I don't think it is fun to watch. It isn't hockey to me, it is something else.

It's closer to hockey then the tiddlywinks match they use to decide games now.

Good grief watching them play rock-paper-scissor-lizard-spock out on the ice after overtime would be more exciting than the shootout is.

And the worst part is the rare penalty shot in games used to be a remarkably exciting event the couple times a year you saw one, now the thought of it at any time disgusts me

ThomasJ13

Sep 22, 2006
It's closer to hockey then the tiddlywinks match they use to decide games now.

Good grief watching them play rock-paper-scissor-lizard-spock out on the ice after overtime would be more exciting than the shootout is.

And the worst part is the rare penalty shot in games used to be a remarkably exciting event the couple times a year you saw one, now the thought of it at any time disgusts me

I agree. In fact in watching a couple of 3 on 3 OT's, it looks more like hockey than a gimmick to me. And even if it is a gimmick, it's infinitely more exciting and intriguing than the current gimmick is, or ever was.

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm
Or they could just make it possible to score more goals during the actual game itself which would lead to fewer tied scores heading into overtime.

I don't bother to watch most of the games these days because of the lack of scoring chances and monstrous goaltenders.

wetcamelfood

Aug 19, 2007
Bring it on. At least there is still responsibility to play the game 3 on 3 unlike the shootout where all of that disappears.

Bad Hat Harry

Michael Scarn
Sep 27, 2010
Boston, MA
It just is too gimmicky. I don't think it is fun to watch. It isn't hockey to me, it is something else.

Seems like another streethockey-like proposal that doesn't measure team the ability or strength of your whole team.

I don't really understand what was wrong with having one 5 v 5 overtime and then end in a tie.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
3 on 3 is just as much of a gimmick as the shootout. A better gimmick, but still a gimmick.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
3 on 3 is just as much of a gimmick as the shootout. A better gimmick, but still a gimmick.

Yeah, and so is 4-4. Out of those 3 options, 4-4 is most like hockey.

So considering the shootout is going nowhere, why not just extend 4-4 instead of then doing a second but worse gimmick before the shootout?

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
Seems like another streethockey-like proposal that doesn't measure team the ability or strength of your whole team.

I don't really understand what was wrong with having one 5 v 5 overtime and then end in a tie.

That would be my answer as well. even if not a full period then make the 5 v 5 10 min and then call it a night. Why change the rules of the game in the regular season if it is not going to be the same in the playoffs.

NHL Hockey is 5 on 5 leave it that way unless someone is in the box.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston

Agreed.

I'd play 5 on 5 for five minutes. The winner gets 2 points and if it ends in a tie I'd only give each team a 1/2 point instead of 1.

As mentioned, more scoring during the game might actually help also.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010

So considering the shootout is going nowhere, why not just extend 4-4 instead of then doing a second but worse gimmick before the shootout?

4 on 4 is my strong preference as well. I don't understand why they don't just extend the 4 on 4 time, either. Actually, yes I do..it's the NHL and they rarely make the right/easy decision.

My point is more around folks being excited for 3 on 3, but hating the shootout because it's gimmicky. They both are...just different flavors of gimmick. 4 on 4 is a gimmick, too, but occurs with some regularity over the course of a game.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
There's just no winning with regular season OT. I'd just keep it as is, but maybe look into changing the points system to make shootouts even less important. Even without considering shootouts, 4-on-4 is a gimmick in itself. 3-on-3 would nearly be as big of a gimmick as the shootout.

ThomasJ13

Sep 22, 2006

I suspect it may have to do with minimizing the number of games that go to a shootout, which is the primary point of the exercise. Unfortunately nobody has data on 4x4 for 8 minutes, but it would be good to see. Some preliminary AHL data on the 4x4 then 3x3 shows something like only 16% of games that went beyond regulation got to the shootuout (http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/new-overtime-rules-letting-hockey-not-shootouts-decide-games/). So we have:

Current NHL format: 57% of games beyond regulation go to shootout

Current AHL format: 16% of games beyond regulation go to shootout

8 minutes of 4x4: ???

If 8 minutes of 4x4 only drops the percentage to shootout to about 45%, then the additional 'gimmick' of 3x3 becomes more palatable. However, if the additional 4x4 time would drop the percentage to shootout to 25%, then I'd probably prefer the 8 minutes of 4x4.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad