3 on 3 lines

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
Monahan - Gaudreau - Gio
Bennett - Byron - Hamilton
Frolik - Hudler - Brodie
Jooris - Backlund - Wideman/Russell

3 on 3 will definitely be interesting. I think it will favour our team because of all the speed we have in our line up. Raymond might be a good option here but I hope to see him gone before the season starts haha

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
3 on 3 will definitely be interesting. I think it will favour our team because of all the speed we have in our line up.

I agree especially with all our top D-men being mobile with offensive instincts. A guy like Brodie is built for overtime. And Byron is definitely a guy who should be utilized in OT.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Are we going to start seeing more defensemen taking faceoffs in 3-on-3?

I can see like a Monahan-Brodie-Gio line out there against a tired, weaker line. Brodie's a great forward-Defense hybrid for those situations and if the forward gets waived at the dot on a faceoff, he'll likely have to step in. I wonder if teams are going to start working with their blueliners on taking faceoffs more?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Honestly, I think we're going to see a lot of 1D-2F sets, which hasn't really been brought up too much here. With the Flames, we likely see Gio and Brodie out together just because they are as good offensively as our forwards in a lot of cases, but beyond them, I think you throw out a centre, Gaudreau and a d-man. Etc.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Honestly, I think we're going to see a lot of 1D-2F sets, which hasn't really been brought up too much here. With the Flames, we likely see Gio and Brodie out together just because they are as good offensively as our forwards in a lot of cases, but beyond them, I think you throw out a centre, Gaudreau and a d-man. Etc.

Could probably just throw out Gaudreau, Engelland and a water bottle and we'll still probably win more games than we lose! :yo:

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I like Byron, but I would as a coach suggest he speed down the ice at the goalie and go behind the net to set up a pass... If he misses, he gets a slight edge going back.

If we assume speed and possession are the name of the game for a 3V3, my first question is how you shut down a speed line and a possession line vs how do you dominate 3V3 with lines made of our players as it's more our style to counter than to out muscle (Vancouver Ploffs wasn't our normal style).
Or... you could distill everything down to reducing scoring chances while increasing yours, or have as many scoring chances before the other team has scoring chances.

Theoretically speaking, what the hell would you think Hartley would do if we played a 3V3 vs Crosby, Malkin and Kessel?

I have a feeling that an expectation of less contact due to more room is very likely, but am curious if a coach somehow might be able to ice an effective (and unconventional) physical checking line of sorts. (ie: idea wise maybe a line of fast Ferland, Byron and Bennett who run players over, grab the puck and go for a shot on net)

I regards to the 1D 2F sets, I could easily see 3F or 2D 1F sets too. Our team could possibly even run with a 3D set of Gio, Brodie and Hamilton and do ok since they're all PMD. IMO, 3V3 just further shows how important a 200 foot game is nowadays. IMO, talking D and F in this case doesn't show justice. Positives are magnified, negatives are amplified. All players become double edged blades choice wise and it's up to the coach to find a blade less likely to cut oneself. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out and evolves.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Theoretically speaking, what the hell would you think Hartley would do if we played a 3V3 vs Crosby, Malkin and Kessel?

Send out Ferland with Brodie(Crosby)/Hamilton(Malkin) to go bang Phil against the boards and force him to cough the puck up because it's Phil Kessel, mr "I'd rather give up the puck than take contact".

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Send out Ferland with Brodie(Crosby)/Hamilton(Malkin) to go bang Phil against the boards and force him to cough the puck up because it's Phil Kessel, mr "I'd rather give up the puck than take contact".

:laugh: I could see that working.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
:laugh: I could see that working.

Crosby and Malkin would burn the hell out of Brodie and Dougie on the other end though!

Best let Ferland go after Crosby (if he can even knock him off those tree stumps he calls legs) and let Brodie handle Phil

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Crosby and Malkin would burn the hell out of Brodie and Dougie on the other end though!

Best let Ferland go after Crosby (if he can even knock him off those tree stumps he calls legs) and let Brodie handle Phil

It definitely sounds like 3v3 is going to be interesting to watch. :laugh:

Aug 3, 2010
I'm curious to who you guys would roll out vs:

Toews/Kane/Keith

Kopitar/Lucic/Doughty

Palat/Johnson/Kucherov

Karlsson/Turris/Ryan

Ovechkin/Kuznetsov/Backstrom

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011

Toews/Kane/Keith - We don't bother

Kopitar/Lucic/Doughty - Monahan - Bouma - Brodie

Palat/Johnson/Kucherov - Gaudreau - Monahan - Gio

Karlsson/Turris/Ryan - Gaudreau - Monahan - Gio

Ovechkin/Kuznetsov/Backstrom - Gaudreau - Monahan - Gio

Money - Johnny - Gio/Brodie will be our go-to line for most

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg

Toews/Kane/Keith

Kopitar/Lucic/Doughty

Palat/Johnson/Kucherov

Karlsson/Turris/Ryan

Ovechkin/Kuznetsov/Backstrom

Against Toews line, Gaudreau or Hudler have to be out there, with Monahan at center to win the draws. Gio or Brodie as the 3rd.

Against LA, I'd definitely go with Johnny again. Probably Hudler and Gio with him.

Against Tampa, I could see Byron doing well in that situation. Byron, Wideman, Backlund?

As for Washington, I'd go with Gio+Brodie, then a forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad