3 on 3 lines

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Thinking of some 3 on 3 lines for the new OT. Wow, tough choices. Winning a face off will be important or will maximum speed be more important. This is what I would like to see.

Byron-Giordano-Brodie

then

Backlund-Gaudreau-Hamilton

I expect spirited debate on this topic.

Aug 3, 2010
I'd rather see something like three unit rotation:

Bennett-Frolik/Hudler-Brodie
Gaudreau-Monahan-Giordano
Backlund-Byron/Hudler-Wideman/Hamilton

I'm interested to see if more teams go with a 2D-1F configuration or a 2F-1D configuration and which teams have the depth to employ a 3F or 3D setup. Calgary could ostensibly run a 3D setup of Giordano-Brodie-Hamilton/Wideman but I doubt it happens.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Byron? :laugh:

More like:

Monahan - Gaudreau
Giordano

Hudler - Bennett
Brodie

Colborne - Backlund
Hamilton

Aug 3, 2010
Byron's got the wheels to make a difference on open ice. Teams that have 2-3 speedsters are going to run a blitz option on 3v3.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Anyways, it'll really just be Harltey randomly thowing guys out there, but eh:

Monahan-Gaudreau-Giordano
Byron-Backlund-Russell
Hamilton-Jooris-Brodie
Wideman-Bennett-Giordano
Nakladal-Hudler-Frolik - the Czeching line

Last edited:

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Gaudreau - Hudler - Brodie
Monahan - Byron - Giordano (Monahan to win the faceoff, dump, and Byron chases)
Jooris - Frolik - Russell

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
No to Byron. The guy cannot finish on a breakaway. Chances are in 3 on 3 OT, it will all be breakaways and 2 on 1...

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Please show me some fact to back this up. Because I have serious doubts about that.

2014-15 4 vs 4 Time on Ice:

Byron - 28:34
Colborne - 16:07

Source: http://www.puckalytics.com/skaterindividualstats.html

There was an almost direct correlation between Byron's health and the Flames' 4 vs 4 dominance. Byron's injury was followed by an OT loss to the Wild, and some uninspiring 4 vs 4 OTs against Boston, Ottawa, Columbus, and Dallas. The only overtime game we won after Byron got injured was @ Philadelphia Flyers.

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
2014-15 4 vs 4 Time on Ice:

Byron - 28:34
Colborne - 16:07

Source: http://www.puckalytics.com/skaterindividualstats.html

There was an almost direct correlation between Byron's health and the Flames' 4 vs 4 dominance. Byron's injury was followed by an OT loss to the Wild, and some uninspiring 4 vs 4 OTs against Boston, Ottawa, Columbus, and Dallas. The only overtime game we won after Byron got injured was @ Philadelphia Flyers.
Yet 4 on 4 in overtime with the game on the line their ice-time was almost identical (Colborne had 2 seconds more). Most of Byron's 4 on 4 OT play also came during the stretch where Backlund, Stajan, Colborne and half the team were also injured. The majority of Colborne came in the 2nd half in important games.

Source: TOI game sheets on NHL.com

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
We were the best 4 vs 4 OT team in the league with Byron.
We were pretty bad at 4 vs 4 OT with Colborne.

Those are facts that were observable by either the product on the ice OR the end result.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Gaudreau - Hudler - Brodie
Monahan - Byron - Giordano (Monahan to win the faceoff, dump, and Byron chases)
Jooris - Frolik - Russell

There will be VERY few ,if any, dumps in a 3 on 3 situation. It's all about speed and possession when there is that much space.

I certainly wouldn't be opposed to having Byron out on the ice in a 3 on 3 situation where speed is perhaps, the most important aspect of 3 on 3.

I think we are in a very good position though, since we have a ton of speed throughout our lineup, both on the blue line and up front.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
We were the best 4 vs 4 OT team in the league with Byron.
We were pretty bad at 4 vs 4 OT with Colborne.

Those are facts that were observable by either the product on the ice OR the end result.
You mean we lost more games in overtime when the schedule was tougher and we weren't being taken lightly? You don't say!

If you honestly believe Byron & Colborne are the reasons for the differences in overtime records I suggest you re-evaluate because frankly correlation =/= causation.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
There will be VERY few ,if any, dumps in a 3 on 3 situation. It's all about speed and possession when there is that much space.

I certainly wouldn't be opposed to having Byron out on the ice in a 3 on 3 situation where speed is perhaps, the most important aspect of 3 on 3.

I think we are in a very good position though, since we have a ton of speed throughout our lineup, both on the blue line and up front.
Speed maybe vital but Byron's penchant for missing the net and hitting the post would be a disaster 3 on 3 and would lead to as many scoring chances against as it would for.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Speed maybe vital but Byron's penchant for missing the net and hitting the post would be a disaster 3 on 3 and would lead to as many scoring chances against as it would for.

I'm going to have to see more than 2/3 of a season of that before saying that's a defining characteristic of his game, and you usually would say the same in other discussions. Even Byron himself said that this year was a weird aberration in terms of the missed chances.

Before this season, he buried pretty regularly. This season, he got a lot more chances, and missed a way higher percentage than normal. If that continues this season, I'll agree that Byron has no finish.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'm going to have to see more than 2/3 of a season of that before saying that's a defining characteristic of his game, and you usually would say the same in other discussions. Even Byron himself said that this year was a weird aberration in terms of the missed chances.

Before this season, he buried pretty regularly. This season, he got a lot more chances, and missed a way higher percentage than normal. If that continues this season, I'll agree that Byron has no finish.
I don't think it's an aberration at all. This was the first time he has played that much in his career, he also faced tougher competition than he ever has before. So it's natural for him to bury less chances. I'd also argue to start his career he had an abnormally high shooting percentage (his lowest season was 15.2%) and it is finally coming down to earth with more difficult competition.

I like Byron, I just don;t think he is any better than the younger guys.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
You mean we lost more games in overtime when the schedule was tougher and we weren't being taken lightly? You don't say!

There's no such thing as being "taken lightly" in a 5 minute sudden death overtime. Both teams are always urgent.

You really think the Columbus Blue Jackets and Rene Bourque were more respectable competition than, say, a pair of OT games against LA Kings because "they weren't taking us lightly?

If you honestly believe Byron & Colborne are the reasons for the differences in overtime records I suggest you re-evaluate because frankly correlation =/= causation.

Colborne? No, he's an invisible unimportant factor in our overtime. Neither positive nor negative an influence.

Byron and Giordano? Absolutely impact players in overtime. Anyone that watched a single overtime game all season could identify their value in 4 vs 4.

Aug 3, 2010
If Poirier makes the team this year, I'd imagine he'd be a very interesting piece in 3v3 play.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
If Poirier makes the team this year, I'd imagine he'd be a very interesting piece in 3v3 play.

Definitely an option with his wheels. I don't know if he'll quite have the poise on the puck at this level that would be required, though. Training camp will have a lot to say about it.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I don't think it's an aberration at all. This was the first time he has played that much in his career, he also faced tougher competition than he ever has before. So it's natural for him to bury less chances. I'd also argue to start his career he had an abnormally high shooting percentage (his lowest season was 15.2%) and it is finally coming down to earth with more difficult competition.

I like Byron, I just don;t think he is any better than the younger guys.

I just think there are things that Byron does that no one else does as well. I see value in that. It's one reason I like Colborne. He's worse than other players in certain areas, but there are things he does that no one else does, like rag the puck along the boards and tire out the defence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad