Advice: 3 on 3 leagues

NativeHockey77*

What are your opinions on summer 3 on 3 leagues that are on smaller ice surface? I seen a thing on the news the other day talking about 3 on 3 leagues and some parents didn't like it because it wasn't sanctioned under Hockey Canada. Do you think it helps prepare a kid much going into the next season? Or should kids novice-peewee age take the summer off?

Jive Time

Jul 24, 2009
When a travel season ends there is this dead space before tryouts and that's usually where something like 3 on 3 is great. Anytime you can pack the kids in close they start to read and react quickly learning how to transition quickly back and forth from defense to offense.

There shouldn't be much coaching here; just kids playing and allowing the game to teach the game. You'll see way more touches and shots and if they want the puck, they learn to get open and be a target. No way you get this many opportunities in a full ice game. What's nice about keeping the coaching out is that the kids can just have fun and be creative. Having balanced teams, however, is important.

In the off-season, let them do something else. You are always going to find the kid who just can't get enough but most just want a break and they will come back better for it.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
What are your opinions on summer 3 on 3 leagues that are on smaller ice surface? I seen a thing on the news the other day talking about 3 on 3 leagues and some parents didn't like it because it wasn't sanctioned under Hockey Canada. Do you think it helps prepare a kid much going into the next season? Or should kids novice-peewee age take the summer off?

I did 3-on-3 as a Youth a few times. It certainly teaches you to pace yourself and build your stamina. Other than that and potential special teams scenarios, there's not really a practical application for anything in regular hockey, though.

Still - I had fun, and that's something. :)

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
3 on 3 is a lot of fun and brings the pick up feel to an organized game. Especially great for goalies. You get a ton of shots and a lot of odd man rushes. Really makes you work on your ability to improvise with how fast the 3 on 3 game gets played

Madness71

Mar 10, 2011
Canada
Always enjoyed 3 on 3. Definitely helps build stamina since there is so much more ice and skating. Also goalies face a lot more shots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad