3 on 3 League for beginners?

jlnjcb

Feb 4, 2010
Hi,

During the summer my local rink has 3 on 3 leagues. Since I have trouble playing during the "regular season" I sort of want to try it. My question is: will 3 on 3 be hard on a beginner?

I haven't played organized hockey at all and I'm not that good at skating (I can skate forwards and stop; nothing else). I was think that the more open the space the hard it will be for me to play.

Suggestions?

Im around 16, 5'9", 175lbs so i dont think size will be a problem. Also, if anyone has went to 3 on 3 leagues at 8 Rinks in Burnaby B.C, how is it (this is the league i want to join)?

On another note: where would be a good place to start hockey around Vancouver?

noobman

Nov 28, 2007
3 on 3 is a lot of open ice and a lot of skating.

It will be tough at first but you will get better in a hurry. It'll force you to skate more, you'll get the puck more, and you'll have a lot more time and space to skate with the puck.

I love 3 on 3 hockey... used to play it every summer as a kid. I can't find a good 3 on 3 adult league.

Hrad

Dec 30, 2009
Well I'm playing 3 on 3 in Ontario this summer, and judging by the rosters it's more advanced hockey.

I only know of 3 players who play house league and are in 3 on 3, and two of those players are dominant in house league.

Summer leagues are generally for the hockey-enthusiasts, who love/are good at hockey.

Especially since this is 3 on 3, you have so much more space and your speed will become the #1 most important thing in the game, and if you can't skate well, you will be left behind.

But heck, it might be way different in BC.

hoonking

Jan 25, 2010
Here in Jersey the 3v3 league is catered towards house players and overall beginners (since we also have AA/AAA programs for the very talented). I'm planning on doing it this summer, and it seems like a great program; more ice time, more time with the puck, and more focus on skating (you can't be lazy and stroll around knowing there are 4 other players on your team).

The ORB

May 27, 2009
GTA, Ontario, Canada
Is it 3 on 3 on full ice? Around here I have seen 4 on 4 on full ice and 3 on 3 is usually on either half ice or on smaller 2/3 size rinks like at NTR. My daughter does half ice 3 on 3 in the spring against boys and she loves it. No offsides or anything just skate hard and roll the lines on the buzzer every 2 minutes.

3 on 3 does usually allow you more time to skate and handle the puck. Obviously it still depends on the level of the other players as to whether it would work for you.

jlnjcb

Feb 4, 2010
Is it 3 on 3 on full ice? Around here I have seen 4 on 4 on full ice and 3 on 3 is usually on either half ice or on smaller 2/3 size rinks like at NTR. My daughter does half ice 3 on 3 in the spring against boys and she loves it. No offsides or anything just skate hard and roll the lines on the buzzer every 2 minutes.

3 on 3 does usually allow you more time to skate and handle the puck. Obviously it still depends on the level of the other players as to whether it would work for you.

Yup it is full ice. I'm starting to now think that I shouldn't go.

It's just that I really think that this is a good alternative to getting into a full season of hockey.

Hrad

Dec 30, 2009
Yup it is full ice. I'm starting to now think that I shouldn't go.

It's just that I really think that this is a good alternative to getting into a full season of hockey.

Well if you love hockey and don't mind being one of the not-so-great players on your team (no offense) then you should still go.
Chances are you will still get the puck more often than you would in an actual game, because the teams are THAT small. Plus full ice is awesome, I can't wait for my season to start (next weekend :))

jlnjcb

Feb 4, 2010
Well if you love hockey and don't mind being one of the not-so-great players on your team (no offense) then you should still go.
Chances are you will still get the puck more often than you would in an actual game, because the teams are THAT small. Plus full ice is awesome, I can't wait for my season to start (next weekend :))

Hmm, your're right. Even if I'm the worst player on the team, I would probably still get ice time since the teams are only made of 10 guys.

Probably I should just "take the leap" and go for it.

Thanks guys.

hoonking

Jan 25, 2010
Always take an opportunity like this, don't worry about it and just go for it. It is always the worst when you look back and think about how much fun or how helpful something could have been, but you were too scared/shy/intimidated to take it. Of course, jumping into a AAA practice as a beginner wouldn't be too smart or fun but a 3v3 league, definitely.

madmutter

F**king Phenomenal
Jun 6, 2009
3 on 3 is loads of fun. You will get a lot more time with the puck than in normal hockey and will be able to make plays and passes you wouldn't usually be able to. This will be really good for your confidence. Positional play is not as emphasized or complicated which can help a beginner. If your endurance is good that's a plus because everybody gets tired playing 3 on 3. I say do it, I play in the summer and really look forward to it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad