Pre-Game Talk: 3 Games left, how many points? (Poll)

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
I have mixed emotions on it - rational thought says lets finish with the 20% odds of winning the lottery. The emotional thought says yet another complete failure of the season if they finish dead last after bringing in Chia, Tmac and having Mcdavid. The optics are bad.

True, I know how you feel. But then again, haters are going to hate regardless of whether or not we finish 2nd last or last. :shakehead

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I hope we don't win Matthews actually. It's not rational considering that the more value we get the better, but it's just too much. With McDavid it was glorious, but if it happens with Matthews it becomes sad. At some point I have to think about the rest of the league. We've been blessed in terms of talent from the draft. It's time for other teams to get these players. Those players 2-5 seem incredible enough.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I hope we don't win Matthews actually. It's not rational considering that the more value we get the better, but it's just too much. With McDavid it was glorious, but if it happens with Matthews it becomes sad. At some point I have to think about the rest of the league. We've been blessed in terms of talent from the draft. It's time for other teams to get these players. Those players 2-5 seem incredible enough.

Sorry the 5 in 7 dynasty must be completed for the prophecy to come true to return to the glory days.

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
6, I think the Oilers try harder than the other teams to not be dead last. Mcdavid is going to push hard for the Calder and hopefully lights up the flames at the very least.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
If Talbot starts all 3, we win them all for 6 points.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
What an inconceivably bad year. New players, new coaches, new GM... doesn't matter. 30th... again. No matter what changes are made, nothing changes. How does this even happen. How have the Oilers not lucked out and had a decent season even once?

Who cares how many points they get in the final 3 games. What an abysmal failure this organization continues to be.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
What an inconceivably bad year. New players, new coaches, new GM... doesn't matter. 30th... again. No matter what changes are made, nothing changes. How does this even happen. How have the Oilers not lucked out and had a decent season even once?

Who cares how many points they get in the final 3 games. What an abysmal failure this organization continues to be.
Yup. User getbak posted this on CP.

Last season, Todd Nelson coached the Oilers to a 17-25-9 record for the 51 games he was behind the bench. That's 43 out of a possible 102 points, or 42.16% of all available points.

This season, the Oilers are at 30-42-7 in 79 games. That's 67 out of a possible 158 points, or a 42.41% of available points.

With three games remaining, the Oilers need to reach 70 points in order to have a better points percentage over 82 games than they had under Nelson. Luckily for them, they're playing the Canucks twice, so they might get there.

Even if they win out, they won't be able to reach Ralph Krueger's mark of 46.88%. If they lose out, they'll tie Dallas Eakins' first year behind the bench.

No real improvement at all. Can't say I'm surprised.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Now, to answer the question, I think 2 wins is very likely, and I'm kind of expecting 3.

To those saying "I don't want to win Matthews" ... why?

We have a management team in place that wants to fix this thing quickly. Why would you not want us to have the best asset possible for them to do so with?

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
I'm impressed that 29% put down 6 points. Hope springs eternal I guess. It's just in my nature to assume this team will find ways to throw away games they "should" win. 0 points.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
They're in far more games than they were last year. Right now their goal differential is -40. Last year it was -85. A similar leap next year would put them in the thick of the playoff race.

Nobody in the cap era has made the playoffs with a comparable amount of injuries to quality players, let alone "way more" injuries. Even if the Oilers do absolutely nothing go to the roster, they'll most likely improve a ton next year from fewer injuries and progression.

This is literally said every year since the very first year the Oilers finished last in the league. Injuries or not, there's no excuse for yet another 30th place finish.

If Chiarelli doesn't make some meaningful improvements to the roster in the upcoming months he's just another lemon like the rest of them.

McSpecial DraiBlend

Feb 18, 2010
Kelowna, Canada
No wonder we have one of the most bipolar fan bases.
Most teams wouldn't even have any support any more if they had been as bad as we have for this long.
Chia has a lot of work to do this summer but I have faith he will make some tough choices and big impovements.
I don't want us winning the draft lottery. We don't deserve it.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I said six points because we've seen this team play well over the last week of the season in very meaningless games the last few years. This prediction was based on Talbot playing all three games. If Broissolt plays I expect them to lose.

I don't care about getting points and passing Calgary, Vancover, Winnipeg or Toronto to hurt our lottery percentage. I just assume we'll win that anyway regardless of where we finish in the standings.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
No wonder we have one of the most bipolar fan bases.
Most teams wouldn't even have any support any more if they had been as bad as we have for this long.
Chia has a lot of work to do this summer but I have faith he will make some tough choices and big impovements.
I don't want us winning the draft lottery. We don't deserve it.

Does anyone?

McLotto 97

Believe in 13.5%
Mar 14, 2011
Edmonton
If oilers finish 29 or 30. I agree I don't want them to win (ok I will accept it but will feel shame)

If the oilers finish strong and end 25-28 I am totally fine winning it.

For me this is make it or break it summer. PC has to make a team that challenges for a playoff spot up until April or it is a disaster and the whole team should be nuked (except McDavid)

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I don't know how people can honestly think this.

The team is better by nearly every metric imaginable despite having a league leading amount of injuries.
:laugh: :biglaugh: Have another sip of the KoolAid.
McLellan has his team right in line with Eakins.
And he has had McDavid and Talbot and Draisaitl to work with as well.
We should have kept Nelson. He was getting through to these guys.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
:laugh: :biglaugh: Have another sip of the KoolAid.
McLellan has his team right in line with Eakins.
And he has had McDavid and Talbot and Draisaitl to work with as well.
We should have kept Nelson. He was getting through to these guys.

McLellan has had around 5 Eakins efforts all year, not 40. It shows when you watch them and in the stats.

If a great coach like McLellan can't get through, it's on the players.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
This is literally said every year since the very first year the Oilers finished last in the league. Injuries or not, there's no excuse for yet another 30th place finish.

If Chiarelli doesn't make some meaningful improvements to the roster in the upcoming months he's just another lemon like the rest of them.

We had a league leading amount of injuries to key players last year. Even if we were just at league average, that's a massive improvement.

I agree that Chia must make major moves to address holes in the roster.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
We had a league leading amount of injuries to key players last year. Even if we were just at league average, that's a massive improvement.

I agree that Chia must make major moves to address holes in the roster.

I wonder if people realize how much injured minutes the Oilers have actually had. It's pretty insane tbh...and the vast majority to key players.

We'd not have been last with a moderately health roster.

Approx 5700 injured minutes this year. Almost not an insignificant player in the bunch.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad