Laughton-Cates-Konecny
Deslauriers-Poehling-Hathaway

York-Sanheim
Staal-Walker
Andrae-Seeler

Hart
Ersson

Injuries:

Couturier (Didn't practice Monday, isn't related to back, Tortorella says it's minor, everything is ominous of course)
Ristolainen (IR)
Ellis (So bitter ’t is, that death is little worse;/but of the good to treat which there I found,/I’ll speak of what I else discovered there.)

CANUCKS LINEUP:

Kuzmenko-Pettersson-Garland
Di Giuseppe-Miller-Boeser
Joshua-Suter-Beauvillier
Hoglander-Lafferty-Studnicka

Hughes-Hronek
Cole-Myers
Soucy (Game Time Decision)-Juulsen

Demko
DeSmith

Injuries:

Soucy (DTD)
Blueger (DTD)
Mikheyev (Out)
Poolman (IR)

GDT SONG

THE STATISTIC

5v5 On-Ice, rates, adjusted for score/venue, last 5 games:
1697510580506.png

1697510598204.png

Goalies:
1697510665304.png

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
I genuinely believe they anticipated Coots or Atkinson to miss some time - but since both were healthy, they had the tough decision to waive Wade. Poor planning, yes, but I have a gut feeling they didn't expect both to be in the lineup week 1

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I genuinely believe they anticipated Coots or Atkinson to miss some time - but since both were healthy, they had the tough decision to waive Wade. Poor planning, yes, but I have a gut feeling they didn't expect both to be in the lineup week 1
I don't think they had expectations, that is, it's not just Couts and Atkinson, but also Foerster and Brink, and conversely, Allison and Laczynski.

They went into this season with a lot of unknowns, which is why they're rebuilding, if they could field two top lines that they were confident would produce, four reliable D-men who can play 20+ solid minutes and a starting goalie who was consistently in the top ten, THEY WOULDN"T BE REBUILDING.

The purpose of the 4th line is to provide some stability without blocking legitimate talents (if you can't break into the top 9/top 5 on this team, you're just not that good of a player). The 4th line isn't going to win them a lot of games, but it will consistently bring energy and a physical presence.

Reactions: captainpaxil

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
This is where Coots comes back to soon from injury and breaks himself in half and ends up on LTIR.

Reactions: BiggE

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The purpose of the 4th line is to provide some stability without blocking legitimate talents (if you can't break into the top 9/top 5 on this team, you're just not that good of a player). The 4th line isn't going to win them a lot of games, but it will consistently bring energy and a physical presence.

This is exactly the kind of Pre-Cambrian thinking that ensures this team is terrible and their Hextallian retool will fail.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I doubt ten minutes a game will have much effect either way.

And if a prospect is blocked from playing 10 minutes a game with Poehling as his center, doubt it will have much impact on the rebuild.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I doubt ten minutes a game will have much effect either way.

And if a prospect is blocked from playing 10 minutes a game with Poehling as his center, doubt it will have much impact on the rebuild.

This post is built on the premise that the team is run on merit. It is not. If it were, we wouldn't be watching Staal or Deslauriers.

You've also doubted that anything negative the team does matters for years, but seeing as it has all added up to make the team terrible, it sure seems to matter. A team needs to get more things right than it gets wrong and the Flyers get most things wrong. Roster construction, usage, and the thinking behind both are all things the Flyers always get wrong. Those are big things to get wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: BiggE

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
What's made this team terrible is obvious, and it's not player development, you have to have players worth developing before that's a problem.

1) drafting, missed on #11 (Morin), #2 (Patrick), #19 (JOB), #24 (Rubtsov), 5 of 6 2nd rd picks. Then when they hit, two overperformers (TK, Hart), one underperformer (Provorov), a couple worth their draft slot (Farabee, Sanheim), York may be a hit, Foerster? Gauthier? Bonk? Focus on physical payers with limited skills in the middle rounds, ended up with a string of misses, failed to build up bottom six and third pair depth.

2) No consistent strategy and a "remain competitive" approach, trading for Braun, Risto, TDA, signing AMac, JVR and Hayes - and not trading Voracek instead of extending him, waiting too long to trade Kimmo, etc. The cumulative effect was to lose draft picks, depreciate assets and waste cap room. Traded for assets sporadically, 2014 TDL (Coburn), 2018 (Schenn), 2022 TDL (Giroux), 2023 (Provorov).

Better development at best would have had only a minor impact, there's no Verhaeghe who went to another team and blossomed, or all the players Vegas and Seattle drafted who emerged away from their former team. The best players who've left this organization the last decade have been Cousins and NAK, the rest are out of the league.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
What's made this team terrible is obvious, and it's not player development, you have to have players worth developing before that's a problem.

1) drafting, missed on #11 (Morin), #2 (Patrick), #19 (JOB), #24 (Rubtsov), 5 of 6 2nd rd picks. Then when they hit, two overperformers (TK, Hart), one underperformer (Provorov), a couple worth their draft slot (Farabee, Sanheim), York may be a hit, Foerster? Gauthier? Bonk? Focus on physical payers with limited skills in the middle rounds, ended up with a string of misses, failed to build up bottom six and third pair depth.

2) No consistent strategy and a "remain competitive" approach, trading for Braun, Risto, TDA, signing AMac, JVR and Hayes - and not trading Voracek instead of extending him, waiting too long to trade Kimmo, etc. The cumulative effect was to lose draft picks, depreciate assets and waste cap room. Traded for assets sporadically, 2014 TDL (Coburn), 2018 (Schenn), 2022 TDL (Giroux), 2023 (Provorov).

Better development at best would have had only a minor impact, there's no Verhaeghe who went to another team and blossomed, or all the players Vegas and Seattle drafted who emerged away from their former team. The best players who've left this organization the last decade have been Cousins and NAK, the rest are out of the league.

Player development is indeed a major problem. Better development would have a major impact. A good rule of thumb is whenever you claim something is minor, know that it is actually major. The fact you even have to acknowledge it is a problem means that when you account for how vastly you downplay everything, a minor problem is huge. When you say a problem doesn't exist at all then it's minor or moderate.

And what a gargantuan leap from "Fletcher didn't make a single mistake" to "Fletcher made all kinds of mistakes."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad