Post-Game Talk: #3| Boston Bruins @ New York Islanders | June 3rd | 7:30 PM | F/OTL 2-1

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
BOSTON BRUINS AT NEW YORK ISLANDERS

GAME 3: ISLANDERS VS BRUINS
7:30 PM | NASSAU COLISEUM
SERIES TIED 1-1
WATCH: NBCSN | NHL.TV | CBC | TVA SPORTS
LISTEN: 88.7FM | 103.9FM | 98.7FM

Preview

After evening up the series 1-1 with a big 4-3 OT win in Game 2 at TD Garden on Monday night, the New York Islanders are excited to take advantage of home ice as they host the Boston Bruins on Thursday night at Nassau Coliseum at 7:30 p.m.

Islanders Notes:

The Islanders felt that Monday night's game was one of their better performances of the season. It was reinforced by a three-goal second period, which featured two power-play goals, a two-point (1G, 1A) outing for both Jean-Gabriel Pageau and Kyle Palmieri, an overtime winner from Cizikas - his first playoff goal since April 2015 - and a solid effort between Semyon Varlamov in net, who made his first appearance in the series.
With goals from Pageau, Palmieri and Josh Bailey, the trio are now atop the Islanders' leaderboard with four goals each.

The Islanders are hoping to build off their execution as they look to continue to play their brand of disciplined and stingy hockey to have success in this series against Boston.

The Islanders received a boost with two-power play goals in Game 2 from Bailey and Pageau to finish the night two-for-three. In the postseason, the Islanders have manufactured a 6-for-22 (27.3%) conversion on the power play, while their penalty kill has gone 10-for-16 (62.5%).

The Islanders understand the importance of putting a dent in the special teams battle against a team like Boston, who is strong in both areas with a 8-for-23 power play (34.%) and a 21-for-27 PK (77.8%). Boston went 1-for-2 on the power play in Game 2, with a tying power-play goal from Brad Marchand that sent the game into overtime.
"We've got to stay at least even with them in the special teams," Trotz said. "Then, we'll take our chances in the five-on-five play."

Anthony Beauvillier leads the team in power-play goals with two and is tied with Matthew Barzal (3A) in power-play points.

For Boston, Marchand leads the team in strikes on the power play with three, while Charlie McAvoy has a team-high six power-play points (6A).

Boston increased TD Garden to full capacity for the second round and the Bruins got a boost from the raucous atmosphere. The Islanders are hoping for the same as they host Games 3 and 4 at Nassau Coliseum. The team is looking forward to their fans diligently and passionately rocking the Coli for this round and are extra motivated to play in front of their own boost of increased capacity that is up to 12,000 as of May 28.

BOSTON NOTES:

• Per Bruins Head Coach Bruce Cassidy, goaltender Tuukka Rask is dealing with a 'nagging injury.' Rask still practiced with the team on Wednesday before traveling to Long Island for Game 3 and Cassidy confirmed following Wednesday's that Rask is 'ready to go.'

• Craig Smith joined the team for practice on Wednesday. The winger took rushes with his usual linemates in David Krejci and Taylor Hall and also took reps on the power play. Smith missed Game 2 with an injury sustained in Game 1. Cassidy said that Smith will be a 'game-time decision.'

• Defensemen Kevan Miller and Jakub Zobril will not play in Game 3 as both are still dealing with upper-body injuries.

• Jake DeBrusk was fined $5,000 by the NHL on Tuesday for cross-checking Scott Mayfield in Game 2.

• While the Islanders did a better job of containing the 'Perfection Line' of Marchand, Patrice Bergeron and David Pastrnak in Game 2, the lethal trio still produced. They combined for four points (2G, 2A) in Game 2, bringing up their point total to 10 points (5G, 5A) through two games in the series.

b9UotiS.png

Playoff Series History

All Time Record VS Bruins

.......................ALL GAMES.........................................................HOME..............................................................AWAY......................................................PLAYOFFS........................
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
W-L-TWIN%GFPGGAPGW-L-TWIN%GFPGGAPGW-LWIN%GFPGGAPGW-L-TWIN%GFPGGAPG
73-99-2143.32.93.340-46-1046.93.23.333-53-1139.72.73.49-469.24.23.3
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Probable Starting Goalies:

gkeN09g.png

Possible Lineups:

iBUFwF9.png

Team Leaders:

ugxWJPh.png

Game 1 Recap

Islanders vs. Bruins - Game Recap - May 29, 2021 - ESPN

Game 2 Recap/Highlights

Islanders vs. Bruins - Game Recap - May 31, 2021 - ESPN

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
The B's know how to win, their core has been down this path several times. I'd expect their 'A' game. Hope the additional fans give NYI the boost they need, that said, they need to play up to the B's, and Varly has to be strong in order to take the series lead.

I actually would've stuck with Ilya for game 2, as his athleticism is a difference maker against a team that loves that cross-seam one timer.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
do your best fellas to stay out of the box. Discipline, play your game. So what is the fictional injury Rask is dealing with? exploit whatever it is.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I am cautiously optimistic. The extra day off between games should do wonders for the boys. The Isles fans are going to give them a boost too. I surmise Varly is starting. I don't think it matters at this point. Sorokin was good too in game 1. Still think the Isles have another level they can get to. With a full house behind them, they can get there.

Reactions: JKP

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
do your best fellas to stay out of the box. Discipline, play your game. So what is the fictional injury Rask is dealing with? exploit whatever it is.
Find out if it's groin by making him stretch out post to post on low shots and deflections.
B's will come out strong to rectify the loss of last game. Isles should not sit back and defend, it is on us to come out stronger in our home Barn and set the pace.
The first 10 minutes will be high energy battle with lots of hitting. Fans will be howling.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Find out if it's groin by making him stretch out post to post on low shots and deflections.
B's will come out strong to rectify the loss of last game. Isles should not sit back and defend, it is on us to come out stronger in our home Barn and set the pace.
The first 10 minutes will be high energy battle with lots of hitting. Fans will be howling.

It would be nice to not give up a goal during those first 10 mins, Pens scored quickly in all 3 home games right or just 2?

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl

eye for an eye, if the B's won't stop hitting Pulock and Pelech that O'Charlie from Long Island gets the same treatment. heck, he should get the treatment either way. Long island producing some darn good players lately eh?

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island
The B's know how to win, their core has been down this path several times. I'd expect their 'A' game. Hope the additional fans give NYI the boost they need, that said, they need to play up to the B's, and Varly has to be strong in order to take the series lead.

I actually would've stuck with Ilya for game 2, as his athleticism is a difference maker against a team that loves that cross-seam one timer.
Is it just me or is Boston’s “experience” a bit overrated outside of Bergeron, Marchand and Krejci? This is a very different team from their playoff successes earlier in the past decade. Even quite a few players from their 2019 run are different now.

I’m curious the difference in overall playoff games played between the two rosters. Not discounting the 3 players I mentioned, though, they know how to win and along with Pastrnak, completely carry the team.

Reactions: Lame Lambert

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
Isles were 4-0 at home during the regular season. Obviously Boston is a playing much better than they were at that time, but it bodes well for the team. I’m sure the coliseum will be rocking as always!
Is it game time yet?

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
If you’re about to attend the game tonight, please do your part and make it as load as possible. Give the Isles the biggest home ice advantage ever and rock the Barn.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Is it just me or is Boston’s “experience” a bit overrated outside of Bergeron, Marchand and Krejci? This is a very different team from their playoff successes earlier in the past decade. Even quite a few players from their 2019 run are different now.

I’m curious the difference in overall playoff games played between the two rosters. Not discounting the 3 players I mentioned, though, they know how to win and along with Pastrnak, completely carry the team.

And Tuukka, especially when compared to Sorokin. At least coming out of the last series, that was a justified advantage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad