GDT: 3/9/23 - 7:00PM EDT - Vegas vs Tampa Bay

Bartleby

I would prefer not to.
Mar 2, 2022
Ocala, FL
Apparently we are a team on the upswing because we played a pretty good game at home tonight. Well, if that's become the standard around here then I guess I owe a few people apologies. Mea culpa.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Maybe that's why it looked so weird. Seriously thought he just tried to hit 10/10 Callahans and only got the ref to roll his eyes.

Seriously though, there was a lot to like about this one. I hope they feel better about this one than the few that they won in the past couple of weeks.

Reactions: Pierre Larouche

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
A lot of good tonight including fighting back to tie(no pun intended). With average goaltending we probably win, but I get the sense that expectations have shifted lower after our recent slide. I'd really like to see us play a top team and dictate the game at least once before the postseason starts.

OffBy1

Aug 5, 2021
Have to love the whiners on here about Cirelli, if you think he's overpaid at 6.25(which he's not even making this year), let me tell you about a 9.5 million goalie who can't stop a beach ball atm....
Unless you were born yesterday, you know why Vasy has his contract.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
A lot of good tonight including fighting back to tie(no pun intended). With average goaltending we probably win, but I get the sense that expectations have shifted lower after our recent slide. I'd really like to see us play a top team and dictate the game at least once before the postseason starts.
I think playing NJ 3 times in a 4 game stretch will be a good test for us. Get to play a playoff team and see how we adjust game to game, like a warmup series in some way.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.

Unless you were born yesterday, you know why Vasy has his contract.

I'm well aware, and I'm also aware that he has played like shit too many times as of late. If ppl on here want to bash Cirelli, cool. I'll bash where the real problems have been as of late, Vasy and the defense.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty

I'm well aware, and I'm also aware that he has played like shit too many times as of late. If ppl on here want to bash Cirelli, cool. I'll bash where the real problems have been as of late, Vasy and the defense.
Most nights it's the defense. Tonight was definitely on him. Two back breaking goals that shouldn't have happened. It's open season for criticism when the team struggles like this. As much as I like Paul and Hagel has proven me wrong this year, I want more from them too. It's great everybody is "doing the little things" as Cooper will say, but you can do all that and lose in 4 games round 1 because nobody can score or wants to. If we didn't have Point and Kucherov good for 1-2 goals a game, we'd be a wild card team.

Team needs to play better defensively, forwards included. Vasy needs to find his rhythm. Forwards need to actually produce. We won't get far when line matching occurs and teams focus on stopping our top line. We have 0 creative depth on lines 2 through 4. It's painstaking.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Most nights it's the defense. Tonight was definitely on him. Two back breaking goals that shouldn't have happened. It's open season for criticism when the team struggles like this. As much as I like Paul and Hagel has proven me wrong this year, I want more from them too. It's great everybody is "doing the little things" as Cooper will say, but you can do all that and lose in 4 games round 1 because nobody can score or wants to. If we didn't have Point and Kucherov good for 1-2 goals a game, we'd be a wild card team.

Team needs to play better defensively, forwards included. Vasy needs to find his rhythm. Forwards need to actually produce. We won't get far when line matching occurs and teams focus on stopping our top line. We have 0 creative depth on lines 2 through 4. It's painstaking.

This is where Cirelli comes in, we got this.

• Haha
Reactions: Stammertime91

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Buffalo’s impressive goal differential has melted down to a measly +3. Not that it really matters but still.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
Should've won but Vasy had a bad night and the PP gave up yet another shorthanded goal. Sergachev is guaranteed to give up one or two breakaways per game because he has no defensive awareness when he's the last man.

OffBy1

Aug 5, 2021
It's not that you bashed Vasy, and I agree he's played worse this season than he has in a long while. It's that you bashed people critical of Cirelli's contract and then as a comparison, used the player probably most deserving of his current contract.

I guess you "bash" andother people "whine"? Sort of a double standard there.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
This is a team in flux. Changing from a supercharged offensive juggernaut of the past few years to a average scoring team where poor defense shows.

Rolls are changing and adjustments to the system are muddled. For instance last night during the short 6 on 4 Perbix pinches in carrying the puck forcing Kuch back to fill the defense opening. This was after giving up another shorty earlier in the game. When was the last time this team lead the league in shortys allowed? The last few years defenseman typically blasted slappers from the line or a wrister 10 ft or so from the blue line and were effective. Seems Coop is supporting the D becoming more active down low now in attempt to increase the scoring from D. But when you have Kuch Stammer or Point forced to drop back it hurts scoring chances.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
It's not that you bashed Vasy, and I agree he's played worse this season than he has in a long while. It's that you bashed people critical of Cirelli's contract and then as a comparison, used the player probably most deserving of his current contract.

I guess you "bash" andother people "whine"? Sort of a double standard there.

Vasy isn't playing to his contract this season(or at least for parts of it so far). Vasy of course earned his contract from his past play, but that doesn't exclude him or his contract from criticism for his play at times this year. Cirelli isn't above similar critique, but it wasn't warranted for last night's game, and so I posted a similarly ridiculous response after the umpteenth blaming of Cirelli around here for their failure. Cirelli is still currently 6th on the team among F in ppg average this year, and over a full season he'd be on pace for around 18/19 goals and 43 points, right around his usual numbers aside.from the 44 points in 68 games a few years back. Combined with his defensive game, he's probably worth around 5.5, so yes, if he doesn't start averaging maybe ~10 more points a year on average, he could be viewed.as a little overpaid. If he starts to hit 50ish points a year and sustains 20 goals, in addition to the cap going up within a couple of seasons, his contract won't be an issue at all(not that it is now).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad