Pre-Game Talk: 3/6/18 - CBJ vs VGK (Game Prediction thread)

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Final prediction totals for tonight’s game:

T1st: @WerenskiRules | 5 points
@The Bread Man | 5 points
@DJAnimosity | 5 points
@thebus88 | 5 points

T5th: @CBJSTH | 3 points
@WubbaLubbaDubDub | 3 points
@Columbus Mike | 3 points

T8th: @hardkorejackets | 2 points
@The Wheelchair | 2 points
@MoeBartoli | 2 points

11th: @Monk | 1 point

T12th: @CBJWennberg10 | 0 points
@Cyclones Rock | 0 points

THANK YOU FOR PARTICIPATING TONIGHT. I’ll have a prediction thread ready on Thursday for the next game (against the Avs). Hopefully a few more new users can join in on the fun. :thumbu:

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I feel like I should get points for correctly guessing Korpi's stellar performance.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
I feel like I should get points for correctly guessing Korpi's stellar performance.

If he would’ve recorded the shutout, your prediction would’ve been pretty spot on. Still, impressive to be able to predict him to have such a good game against Vegas. Props!! Let’s see what you got come Thursday night!

Last edited:
Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Columbus Mike

2015-16 CBJ
Feb 21, 2008
Question since I'm new to the internet on computers. If you get two points for guessing a correct goal scorer, isn't the smart move to pick a 20-19 win and name every skater on the ice?

Asking for a friend.

Reactions: Samkow and Maylo

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Question since I'm new to the internet on computers. If you get two points for guessing a correct goal scorer, isn't the smart move to pick a 20-19 win and name every skater on the ice?

Asking for a friend.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:...put me down for this for next 15 games.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013

Asking for a friend.

It is but it isn’t logical or realistic.. and takes the fun out of it all.

Telling to a friend.

Columbus Mike

2015-16 CBJ
Feb 21, 2008
Agree on all three counts, but someone that picks a 4-2 win is twice as likely to name a goal scorer than someone that picks a 2-1 win. Maybe predict the first goal scorer?

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Agree on all three counts, but someone that picks a 4-2 win is twice as likely to name a goal scorer than someone that picks a 2-1 win. Maybe predict the first goal scorer?

How about this:

Starting Thursday night, to prevent someone picking a high score game every time, for every goal scorer they choose that doesn’t score a goal, they get -2 points (instead of correctly guessing a goal scorer which is +2 points).

This will force us all to guess the goal scorers strategically and not just guess 5-6 goal scorers per team a game. I think this is fair.

I also added this to rules: Incorrectly guess a shutout = -2 points.

That way people aren’t guessing a shutout every game to maximize their point opportunity totals. These two rules should balance it all out now.

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
In every game, there's lots more players who don't score than players who do score. There's what, between five and six goals a game? With 36 skaters, that's at least five times as many non-scorers as scorers in the average game, so you're going to have people penalized for predicting high scores. One way to do it might be to pick one player from each team who you think will score a goal, and then you get two points if they do score, and four points if you correctly predict that a team will be shut out.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
In every game, there's lots more players who don't score than players who do score. There's what, between five and six goals a game? With 36 skaters, that's at least five times as many non-scorers as scorers in the average game, so you're going to have people penalized for predicting high scores. One way to do it might be to pick one player from each team who you think will score a goal, and then you get two points if they do score, and four points if you correctly predict that a team will be shut out.

If we could only pick one player from each team, pretty sure 75 percent of us would pick Panarin every time. I think -2 points for incorrectly guessing a goal scorer is fair. But the more I think of it, I think -1 point would be better.. that it avoids us from having a negative point total over the next 15 games

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
If we could only pick one player from each team, pretty sure 75 percent of us would pick Panarin every time. I think -2 points for incorrectly guessing a goal scorer is fair. But the more I think of it, I think -1 point would be better.. that it avoids us from having a negative point total over the next 15 games
I mean, you're doing all the work here, so it's ultimately your call, but you'd still barely come out ahead just making the absolute safest bet every game. Honestly I think the best solution might be just go with the rules as originally written and just trust that everyone will act in good faith and nobody will try and game the system to win a guessing game on a message board.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
I mean, you're doing all the work here, so it's ultimately your call, but you'd still barely come out ahead just making the absolute safest bet every game. Honestly I think the best solution might be just go with the rules as originally written and just trust that everyone will act in good faith and nobody will try and game the system to win a guessing game on a message board.

I really do appreciate the ideas and help! Thank you friend :thumbu:

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I'm spotting the group a few points just because I'm a nice guy. It's a marathon and I'm competing against a bunch of sprinters. Enjoy your lead while it lasts.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH

I'd be fine with the -1 for the incorrect goal scorer... Not sure if you anticipated on adjusting the scores after the 1st game... But, I believe I would be happily at a -5 thanks to Korpisalo shutting down the Vegas goal scorers I listed. Good job Korpi!

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
I'd be fine with the -1 for the incorrect goal scorer... Not sure if you anticipated on adjusting the scores after the 1st game... But, I believe I would be happily at a -5 thanks to Korpisalo shutting down the Vegas goal scorers I listed. Good job Korpi!

I was thinking about it but since there’s still 15 games left and a lot can happen, decided not too. The people who are getting their first predictions in of the season tonight are only behind a 5 point deficit which isn’t much!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad