3.5m in cap-space still available

HabsRockBruinsChoke

Jul 30, 2013
Gorges should not have been let go... we'll still have frickin space for him after Moen gets traded/waived..

Gilbert could've been signed as well, but I'd rather have Gorges on the third pairing over Beaulieu and Tinordi...

I hope ya'll are realizing that we gave away the best shot-blocker AND one of the best stay-at-home Ds in the league

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Gorges should not have been let go... we'll still have frickin space for him after Moen gets traded/waived..

Gilbert could've been signed as well, but I'd rather have Gorges on the third pairing over Beaulieu and Tinordi...

I hope ya'll are realizing that we gave away the best shot-blocker AND one of the best stay-at-home Ds in the league
Young players gotta play, and Gorges, as much as I like him, didn't bring enough skills to the table to merit a top4 position. He's not a big hitter (Emelin) and he's not a puck mover (Gilbert). So what can you do?

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Unless there is a deal too good to be true, I think we should pocket the cash and wait until closer to the playoffs. $3.5M is some nice change to throw at a rental if need be.

HabsRockBruinsChoke

Jul 30, 2013
Young players gotta play, and Gorges, as much as I like him, didn't bring enough skills to the table to merit a top4 position. He's not a big hitter (Emelin) and he's not a puck mover (Gilbert). So what can you do?
The best thing MB could've done was let Markov walk and get Niskanen to replace him for the same price... Young players gotta play but neither Beaulieu or Tinordi gets goals or a lot of points in NHL/AHL..

What's done is done, I just hope Gilbert turns out to be a good investment because if you look at his resume, he was part of the Oilers roster that was able to get three 1st picks in a row, was positive only ONCE in his 9 year NHL career and tanked with the Panthers last season.

ZARTONK

Headscratcher!
Jul 4, 2008
Montreal
I would be a shame to end the season with such a large cap space. As one of the "few" teams that can afford to spend to the cap every season we definitely should take that advantage.

Sweeney

Nov 29, 2003
Rimouski
Visit site
The best thing MB could've done was let Markov walk and get Niskanen to replace him for the same price... Young players gotta play but neither Beaulieu or Tinordi gets goals or a lot of points in NHL/AHL..

What's done is done, I just hope Gilbert turns out to be a good investment because if you look at his resume, he was part of the Oilers roster that was able to get three 1st picks in a row, was positive only ONCE in his 9 year NHL career and tanked with the Panthers last season.

Didn't knew Niskanen wanted to come here.
Risk to lose Markov to maybe sign Niskanen, it's not a good move.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Unless there is a deal too good to be true, I think we should pocket the cash and wait until closer to the playoffs. $3.5M is some nice change to throw at a rental if need be.

I still think Bergevin might consider some further improvement.

As I wrote previously 3.5M AAV accumulated over the year means we can acquire something like 12M or more in cap space at the deadline. Way too much money for whatever will be available.

For example, we spent last year with between 1 and 2M in free cap space and the cap cost of acquiring Vanek, the best player on the market, was 1.2M.

Trading Moen/Bourque + picks/prospects for a better forward could be an option at this point, methinks. We'll see how it goes, but I'd like for us to have more offensive punch up front.

And the ideal solution would still be to acquire a scoring forward with only 1 year left on his contract.

All easier said than done, though. :laugh:

At least, if a move doesn't happen, we know it's not because we're stuck against the cap. And we won't have to ship away players in the foreseeable future in order to comply.

I like what I see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad