GDT: 3/27/18 - Weathering the storm - Devils vs Hurricanes 7PM MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Yeah, Moore's not gonna be here next year (or that would be the worst mistake of Shero's Devils career), so there shouldn't be any reason to not scratch him. We've already scratched him once this season and it was only like a month ago, if I recall correctly. Maybe 5 weeks ago? Could have been 6. It was definitely before the trade deadline.

I feel like he scored a goal a game or two after that.

Wha? Cmon the guy actually played great the first half of the year, and I think he's still been quite good in having to cover up Severson's mistakes. They are simply a terribly matched pairing playing above their heads.
If he wants to stay, and they can keep him for around 3.5/3yr then I do that for sure. Especially with Greene on the way out... He would be excellent on the bottom pair and there's reason to believe that Butcher and Mueller could take steps forward, considering they are both essentially rookies.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
It’s not just that, Ward still can’t quit having Boyle as the big body on the PP

Does he take the draws on that unit as well? That explains a part of it also.

I'm one of the (seemingly) few left who feel Boyle does serve a purpose on the 4th line. I do agree he doesn't need to be on the PP anymore as his scoring touch dried up, but I think he will be important as we continue on this march towards the postseason.

We have a great problem, and that's having a number of players that we can insert into the lineup and not miss a beat.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Zajac is at 50.9%, Boyle 50.7%. But faceoffs aren't sexy, so no one cares. :laugh: It's really the main reason he is still in the lineup, I'm sure.

Coleman is 47.9%, Zacha is 43.8%, Nico is 42.8%.
55% on the PP for Boyle. Zajac is 61%. Stafford is at 70%. So if anyone ever wonders why they are on the PP. This is a big part of it.

Reactions: OmNomNom

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
At the end of the day, it's a fantastic problem to have. We have so many interchangeable parts that you really can't go wrong.

The only reason I suggest Wood is because he has seemed more tentative since the suspension. He's without a doubt a lethal weapon out there, but doesn't necessarily provide the other qualities that some of the other wingers we have outside of that. speed This is all assuming Mojo comes back this season, which I still don't know for certain even if he's skating.

I could just as easily see Maroon take a seat or two if they feel they need more speed in the lineup as opposed to size. I would be stunned if they ever consider sitting Boyle, but understand why people believe he should.

Agree with what you're saying - but he's too much of a weapon.

Honestly, I don't think we need Mojo - the team has been fine without him.

It's tough, because it's a tradeoff between his superior skill, vision, and playmaking, against other's grit, relentlessness and physicality.

If you ask me which I'd rather have in the playoffs - a guy like Noesen (think Bernier/Carter/Gionta) is more valuable than Mojo... but its close. It's also close with Wood because he's SUCH a gamebreaking weapon.

It isn't close with Coleman/Gibbons - they're too valuable.

I take Grabner/Maroon out in a second.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
I've seen it in a couple people's lines, but I like the Hall-Hischier-Grabner idea.

Grabner would literally just have to float and find soft areas. He has the speed to keep up with those two, and the defensive acumen to cover for Hall in case he decides to go "on an adventure."
I don’t think Wood has played RW, but I would love to see them try Hall-Nico-Wood. He’s Grabner with the ability to knock someone’s teeth out if they take liberties with Hall or Nico.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Wha? Cmon the guy actually played great the first half of the year, and I think he's still been quite good in having to cover up Severson's mistakes. They are simply a terribly matched pairing playing above their heads.
If he wants to stay, and they can keep him for around 3.5/3yr then I do that for sure. Especially with Greene on the way out... He would be excellent on the bottom pair and there's reason to believe that Butcher and Mueller could take steps forward, considering they are both essentially rookies.
Greene still has 2 years left after this.

It just wouldn't be a wise signing. We need to upgrade the D somehow and Greene has 2 years left, while it's easier to get rid of Moore as a walk in free agency. Unless you want Greene playing 20+ minutes again next year, which really shouldn't happen.

There's really no way we can upgrade the D (or god forbid play Santini next year) without moving on from Moore, unless you think Greene is gonna retire? And Greene won't be a buyout, at least not this offseason, maybe next if he's really bad.

And we haven't even touched Lovejoy's status for next year yet. He'd be a cheap buyout to absorb, Greene would not.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Can anyone convert this gif to a format that can be posted

here you go

Hwx6tyC.gif

link is: i.imgur.com/Hwx6tyC.gif

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Having just seen this, massive LOL at the cock out hash tag. :laugh:
Is that a saying? I was wondering what the hell he was saying. Thought it might mean Chicken Out, but that didn't make sense. Didn't see anything that made sense on Urban Dictionary.

Dem kids are weird :)

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I've seen it in a couple people's lines, but I like the Hall-Hischier-Grabner idea.

Grabner would literally just have to float and find soft areas. He has the speed to keep up with those two, and the defensive acumen to cover for Hall in case he decides to go "on an adventure."

I lik this. They’re not really maximizing Grabners abilities right now.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Grabner’s value is supposed to be his ability to score regardless of his linemates at even strength. We shouldn’t have to put him with our two best players for him to score.
There's a FEW things that were supposed to be his strengths that haven't been with us. Empty net goals, breakaways, etc.

At this point, especially after that too many men penalty last night, it feels more like he's here to sabotage then the team than to help it.

DevilSaint

Mar 22, 2018
Down South
No one wants to give credit to Hynes, but him changing up the lines to start the third was huge.

Wood was very rusty last night and Bratt was just a step behind everything the entire night so they went down to L4. Every line changed and the Devils looked a lot better in the second.
They were also double shifting Hall most of the 3rd period.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I lik this. They’re not really maximizing Grabners abilities right now.
Grabner’s value is supposed to be his ability to score regardless of his linemates at even strength. We shouldn’t have to put him with our two best players for him to score.
I agree with both.

I don't think we need to put him with our two best players to score, but I also kind of don't like him much with Boyle and Gibbons. I feel like he's not gonna score much there.

Reactions: Billdo

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I agree with both.

I don't think we need to put him with our two best players to score, but I also kind of don't like him much with Boyle and Gibbons. I feel like he's not gonna score much there.
Grabner-Coleman-Gibbons could be a deadly 4th line. That very well could be the best 4th line in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad