GDT: 3/26/13 - 7:30PM EDT - Buffalo vs Tampa Bay

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
Guys those ice times aren't right. The stats were all messed up. The correct ones should be available now. St Louis only had about 22 mins I think. Killorn actually had the most ice time for any forward.

FDfranklin

Jan 21, 2013
If they play like they did lastnight can they actually beat a good team? With more influence from Cooper they can probably play even better.

Is it too late to catch a spot in the playoffs?

nhljohnson

Jul 4, 2006
I don't find him to be an offensive guy, I love his game though very safe and reliable.

He's a two-way player and, yes, he's seeing PK time but Killorn wouldn't be playing so regularly in the top-6 if he didn't possess significant offensive talent. No, he's not as creative and flashy as St. Louis and he's not as explosive nor as much of a sniper as Stamkos. He is, in some ways, like a blend of the two, absolutely "an offensive guy".

At Harvard, Killorn was pretty much the go-to forward whose production was vital. He doesn't have to be that guy here and when you consider the role he's been playing on the top lines at even-strength, he's essentially served in a similar capacity as Fedotenko did in his time here: a valuable third-wheel who banged and battled along the boards to establish and maintain possession and capable, passing- and shooting-wise, with the puck on his stick. And Killorn has thrived so far in this role.

He's often very direct, north-south, moving the puck up-ice in his own end or the neutral zone but watch him closely when he has possession in the opposing end and you see how well he uses his frame along the boards and in tight spaces to shield the puck but how also he can be deceptive, shifty, able to look off defenders to create space for himself. Watch him slide along then wheel out from the boards into the slot or near the blueline around or away from traffic then read whether a pass or shot is an option. Killorn is already very strong in the offensive third but, in time, he could be a possession monster.

Last edited:

nhljohnson

Jul 4, 2006
I love the way Killorn plays, but I think he needs to work on strengthening his arms and wrists. His shot is a little weak.

All the young guns have things to work on, including Killorn, but not having Stamkos' release and velocity does not mean Killorn has a "weak" shot. It's definitely big-league caliber and there's not a drop-off in his selection; his wrist-, snap- and slap-shots are all pretty heavy.

I'm not sure I can find his total attempts easily but he's only managed to put 48 on net. I think you'll agree with me when you see a much, much larger NHL sample-size.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
All the young guns have things to work on, including Killorn, but not having Stamkos' release and velocity does not mean Killorn has a "weak" shot. It's definitely big-league caliber and there's not a drop-off in his selection; his wrist-, snap- and slap-shots are all pretty heavy.

I'm not sure I can find his total attempts easily but he's only managed to put 48 on net. I think you'll agree with me when you see a much, much larger NHL sample-size.

By no means am I expecting a Stamkos bomb, I've just seen his shot and goaltenders seem to have no trouble with it. It's pretty accurate, he just needs to work on his shot velocity so he can surprise some goalies. Look at Panik or Johnson or Gudas, those guys have amazing shots. Quick and heavy. Killorn needs to establish that so that he can become an even bigger threat.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
He's a two-way player and, yes, he's seeing PK time but Killorn wouldn't be playing so regularly in the top-6 if he didn't possess significant offensive talent. No, he's not as creative and flashy as St. Louis and he's not as explosive nor as much of a sniper as Stamkos. He is, in some ways, like a blend of the two, absolutely "an offensive guy".

At Harvard, Killorn was pretty much the go-to forward whose production was vital. He doesn't have to be that guy here and when you consider the role he's been playing on the top lines at even-strength, he's essentially served in a similar capacity as Fedotenko did in his time here: a valuable third-wheel who banged and battled along the boards to establish and maintain possession and capable, passing- and shooting-wise, with the puck on his stick. And Killorn has thrived so far in this role.

He's often very direct, north-south, moving the puck up-ice in his own end or the neutral zone but watch him closely when he has possession in the opposing end and you see how well he uses his frame along the boards and in tight spaces to shield the puck but how also he can be deceptive, shifty, able to look off defenders to create space for himself. Watch him slide along then wheel out from the boards into the slot or near the blueline around or away from traffic then read whether a pass or shot is an option. Killorn is already very strong in the offensive third but, in time, he could be a possession monster.

I agree like Fedotenko a valuable third wheel ? I agree with everthing you said about him.

CC321

Jun 23, 2012
Killorn does a lot of things well, still needs some work though. He has good velocity on his shots, but the issue is he leans into his shots to get extra velocity on it (Brad Richards used to do the same thing). I can see his shots coming and I'm not a NHL goaltender. If I was Killer, I'd ask Nigel to dig up some video of Mario Lemieux and study Mario's body language right before he shot and right before he passed. It was exactly the same. No leaning, no body language tip offs of any kind. No one ever knew what the hell he was about to do. Study the greats.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
Another thing to keep in mind, Conacher's ice time has fluctuated throughout the season thus far. It may be due to him being diabetic. If he seems tired or a step behind the coaches probably don't want to keep putting him out there as much for fear of his health.

canucksPK

May 9, 2011
Okanagan BC
Another thing to keep in mind, Conacher's ice time has fluctuated throughout the season thus far. It may be due to him being diabetic. If he seems tired or a step behind the coaches probably don't want to keep putting him out there as much for fear of his health.

solid point

newham89

Feb 11, 2010
Nottingham, UK

Possibly, according to the article on him in the New York Times thought it doesn't really bother him. Part of it could be because in the last few weeks he hasn't played especially well. Killorn, Palat and Johnson have all outplayed him recently and have jumped him for minutes.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
Possibly, according to the article on him in the New York Times thought it doesn't really bother him. Part of it could be because in the last few weeks he hasn't played especially well. Killorn, Palat and Johnson have all outplayed him recently and have jumped him for minutes.

You are.

Last edited:

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
You are correct it's not Diabetes that sat him on the bench. He played 6 min and created the first goal, did some great back checking on another opportunity (while Panik glided back). Johnson is a center don't know what this has to do with Conacher. I LOVE Killorn and Palat but there is plenty of other ice time. This is NOT the way to treat a young player, especially a player that leaves it all on the ice. I have no idea why he gets such limited time in offensive situations (PP, offensive zone faceoffs). I wish someone asked Lacroix the question because I would really like to know the thought process. This is an important develop year for our rookies and I have been somewhat confused on how it has been handled. BRING ON COACH COOPER !!!!! :shakehead

You do remember that Cooper benched and/or cut his ice time more than once last season, correct?

Maybe there is something going on that we as fans aren't privy to, that the coach believes needs to be done. Especially since Cooper apparently gave Lacroix instructions on what he wanted to see done last night.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
LOL....guy on the main board thinks that Marty wouldnt get picked for team Canada, the following were his choices for "role" players that could do better;

Neal
Simmonds (LMFAO!!)
J. Staal (LOL)

No offense to those 3, very good players, but yeah...you'd be drunk to pick them over MSL.

FDfranklin

Jan 21, 2013
LOL....guy on the main board thinks that Marty wouldnt get picked for team Canada, the following were his choices for "role" players that could do better;

Neal
Simmonds (LMFAO!!)
J. Staal (LOL)

No offense to those 3, very good players, but yeah...you'd be drunk to pick them over MSL.

Arguing on the main board is worthless. We should have all learned that after the Rinaldo thread.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Neal
Simmonds (LMFAO!!)
J. Staal (LOL)

He thinks Canada should use role players in their bottom 6 and he has Tavares and Giroux on his 3rd line :facepalm:

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Arguing on the main board is worthless. We should have all learned that after the Rinaldo thread.

Yes, but its still tempting. Its pretty funny that some people have claimed that they actually watch hockey. If they werent so biased and hateful towards others, they'd see the other person's point of view, but nearly everybody on the main boards specifically is so damn condescending just because they may not like a certain team or player so they take it out on you. Lame.

He thinks Canada should use role players in their bottom 6 and he has Tavares and Giroux on his 3rd line :facepalm:

Yeah I noticed that. Bergeron or Toews could play on that 2nd line yet putting either of them at center on the 3rd/4th apparently is a "role player." I guess he's played too many video games where he thinks the "bottom 6" is the only line that could score WITHOUT having to hit, fight, etc. Its the olympics..why you would leave marty out of it as a fan and native of Canada is beyond me....thats like me wanting Callahan to stay out of the roster because he doesnt score enough and we have enough role players.

Some people are so thick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad