Post-Game Talk: 3/22: Devils @ Rangers at Prudential Square Garden

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
What? He was just "pretty" good? Orr was a phenomenal player at both ends of the ice. If we was caught on the rush, which didn't happen often, he was usually fast enough to get back and cover the play. You can't compare players like Bobby Orr who set the standard as the Offensive D man to Ryan McDonagh based on the fact he had a short career while McDonagh is a newly good player at the moment. Plus Bobby Orr really didn't have a short career in retrospect, he still played 9 full incredible seasons plus parts of another three for 12 total. His career was shortened , but by no means short, especially for the physical time period. Bobby Orr scored 270 goals/ 645 assists for 915 points in 657 games and won numerous rewards and set numerous records while winning 2 Stanley Cups. Until McDonagh even achieves a quarter of this comparing them really holds no water. In pretty much 9 seasons Orr was able to achieve was he did

Bo Jackson was one of the best athletes to ever walk this earth and is the ONLY ATHLETE to ever be named an all star in 2 major American sports ( Football Baseball ). Bo was so good he knew he could put off an earlier MLB career with the Yankees to attend College. In High School Bo was a 2 time state champ in the Decathlon and probably could have pursued a career in track and field given how good he was in college ( he qualified twice for NCAA nationals in the 100 meter dash in his fresh and soph year).. Bo Jackson was an enigma as an athlete....there is NO comparison between him and McDonagh. If we are talking about just in terms as an athlete and not sport, well the point remains....McDonagh doesn't hold a candle

I won't even touch Bill Walton....

Again I pretty much said Del Zotto's defense lacked when compared to McDonagh in many ways...again I only drew the comparison only to illustrate that at one time Del Zotto was considered future Norris material and was receiving much accolade here in his first few seasons then look what happened there. Though it's very possible Del Zotto may have a career renaissance elsewhere. I'm still waiting to see what happens with him.

McDonagh is young and yes right now he is good but not great. He is just outside the top 10 at the moment and this is just his 4th season and it appears he is coming into his own and is getting better so we all hope it stays that way, but things can change so let's wait and see what happens after another 2-3 seasons... he still has a lot to prove and a lot to win both team wise and individually before we can start comparing him to other greats in the same and other sports

P.S.... I wasn't arguing who will last longer when compared to ( Zubov. Greschner, Howell)...my argument was they proved to be good consistent players over much longer periods of time when compared to McDonagh's 4 seasons or 241 games

Yeah, that Orr fellow was pretty good.

My point remains the same.

Present-day McDonagh's is arguably the the third best Rangers D in 50 years. You keep changing the topic to who had the best career. I cited players that did not have full careers who were still outstanding. By the way, plenty of players had very long careers during Orr's time.

I truly believe that some don't realize how special McD is. Barring injury, he is Hall of Fame bound.

ThisYearsModel

Mar 4, 2004
Yeah, that Orr fellow was pretty good.

My point remains the same.

Present-day McDonagh's is arguably the the third best Rangers D in 50 years. You keep changing the topic to who had the best career. I cited players that did not have full careers who were still outstanding. By the way, plenty of players had very long careers during Orr's time.

I truly believe that some don't realize how special McD is. Barring injury, he is Hall of Fame bound.

I have to agree with this. The key will be longevity. Had Brad Park played his entire career in NY, he would have been a competitor with Leetch for #1. He ended up playing longer elsewhere than he did in NY. If McD ends up staying healthy and playing his whole career in NY, he has the ability to make it to #2 all time behind Leetch.

No Ranger defenseman ever is worthy of lacing Bobby Orr's skates. He was amazing.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I have to agree with this. The key will be longevity. Had Brad Park played his entire career in NY, he would have been a competitor with Leetch for #1. He ended up playing longer elsewhere than he did in NY. If McD ends up staying healthy and playing his whole career in NY, he has the ability to make it to #2 all time behind Leetch.

No Ranger defenseman ever is worthy of lacing Bobby Orr's skates. He was amazing.

Gretzky is the only player I ever saw who belongs in the conversation with Orr.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Bobby Orr IMO was/is the best hockey player I ever saw. An amazing player. He just revolutionized the way the game was played. What this guy could do on a pair of busted up knees was astounding.

Gretzky comes in second. Ray Bourque is the second best d-man ever and followed pretty closely by the much hated Denis Potvin. These are players I've seen. Almost impossible to compare them to the players you haven't seen like Doug Harvey--Maurice Richard. Gordie Howe who I saw at the tail end of his career.

Best player today is Crosby. Best offensive d-man Erik Karlsson. Best overall d-man is a bit trickier.

McDonagh's career trajectory so far IMO is almost eerily similar to Brad Park's. Park was smaller but a fiercer player. Park could really hit. His submarine style hip check had players somersaulting through the air. Brad was not adverse to dropping the gloves either. His offense like McDonagh's gradually got better and better. A very skilled player with the puck.

For me Brian Leetch is the Rangers best d-man ever. I didn't see Harry Howell except occasionally as an LA King--which was the tail end of his career. His thing is quality play for a very long period of time and one Norris trophy. IMO I don't have the sense that he really ranks with Leetch and Park.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
McDonagh's career trajectory so far IMO is almost eerily similar to Brad Park's. Park was smaller but a fiercer player. Park could really hit. His submarine style hip check had players somersaulting through the air. Brad was not adverse to dropping the gloves either. His offense like McDonagh's gradually got better and better. A very skilled player with the puck.
Park had a big mean streak. Something MCD lacks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad