GDT: 3/20/19 - 7:30PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Washington

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Killorn was such ass last night that I can't even fathom.
The second he made that pass on the opening goal I threw up my hands. It was just... in what world is that the right play? If there were no Caps on the ice it would have been a bad play.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
The second he made that pass on the opening goal I threw up my hands. It was just... in what world is that the right play? If there were no Caps on the ice it would have been a bad play.
I don't quite give him a pass but I get why he did that - they all do that pretty frequently but you have to see the, idk, 3 guys within 11 feet of you there and not do that.

His boardwork was bad, he often just turned the puck over to anyone in front of him, didn't fit in on any lines. The swiss army knife wasn't much of a knife at all last night.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
I don't quite give him a pass but I get why he did that - they all do that pretty frequently but you have to see the, idk, 3 guys within 11 feet of you there and not do that.

His boardwork was bad, he often just turned the puck over to anyone in front of him, didn't fit in on any lines. The swiss army knife wasn't much of a knife at all last night.
He was skating himself *into* trouble a lot (that's a lot of what happened on his second bad giveaway). I felt like *he* thought he was drawing people to him to open up someone else, but really he was just leaving himself with no good options.

But like I said - he's earned a pass for a stinker. He's been really solid lately (and frankly all season). I have more of an issue with how Palat has been playing, since it's been consistently dog shit.

Reactions: The Green Unit

JFleegs

Dec 9, 2010
Virginia Beach
I agree on Stamkos miller line most effective. Also mcd and cernak dpairing were solid. Held my breathe everytime rutta and Coburn were out there. Thought johnson had a good game buzzing around, was a bit snake bitten on a few occasions. Kuch was silky smooth. Point was a bit invisible but had some decent take aways. Cirelli was noticable in a good way as well.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
He was skating himself *into* trouble a lot (that's a lot of what happened on his second bad giveaway). I felt like *he* thought he was drawing people to him to open up someone else, but really he was just leaving himself with no good options.

But like I said - he's earned a pass for a stinker. He's been really solid lately (and frankly all season). I have more of an issue with how Palat has been playing, since it's been consistently dog ****.
Thats a great way of putting it.

Palat i'm honestly less worried about for some reason, only because he really thinks the game at a high level. I don't think his body is 100%, and honestly, a lot of this team has been rolling without him. He doesn't get his "security blanket" linemates, so he is just trying to fit in more.

I will say that as games get more physical and turn a bit, Joseph disappears a bit which isn't surprising for a kid still bulking up. Not a dealbreaker, but it'll be nice to see him with 15ish pounds more muscle.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Thats a great way of putting it.

Palat i'm honestly less worried about for some reason, only because he really thinks the game at a high level. I don't think his body is 100%, and honestly, a lot of this team has been rolling without him. He doesn't get his "security blanket" linemates, so he is just trying to fit in more.

I will say that as games get more physical and turn a bit, Joseph disappears a bit which isn't surprising for a kid still bulking up. Not a dealbreaker, but it'll be nice to see him with 15ish pounds more muscle.
Joseph can go quiet, but the thing with him is with his speed, he can create even if he's largely being invisible in one play. It's also his first NHL season, and I'm sure the grind is getting to him a bit (although the first game against the Caps he did knock Wilson on his ass).

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I just love that Killer got a hat trick in the last game against Washington, and then this game decided to give two of the goals back. But yeah - every now and then you have a stinker - he's been good this season.

Palat. I don't know. Honestly the pass on Kucherov's second goal was stupid as ****. But it worked that time. I thought he was really bad.

Also - from my seat I thought the Stamkos line (outside of Palat) seemed like the most effective. Did that jive with what you guys saw?

I was ready to ***** about Miller because I thought he shied away from the last game vs. Washington (until he lost some teeth), but I think he showed up for this one. Stamkos might have been the best player on the ice, or maybe Kuch, so that was nice. I think there may have been a directive from the coaching staff to not get carried away with the physicality, so our best players, in general, were our best players, whereas our bottom-six carried us last game.

Palat... I just don't know. Everything is off. It was the old Teddy Purcell "plays are dying on his stick over and over" syndrome. He's not generating much of anything, regardless where he's at in the line up, but what's more troubling is I'm not noticing him defensively the way I used to. It seemed like two or three times per night you would see him come up big defensively in previous years. This year, he's just kind of "there," and it's Cirelli and sometimes Paquette, sometimes Johnson, who I notice making the extra effort on D most times.

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
I was ready to ***** about Miller because I thought he shied away from the last game vs. Washington (until he lost some teeth), but I think he showed up for this one. Stamkos might have been the best player on the ice, or maybe Kuch, so that was nice. I think there may have been a directive from the coaching staff to not get carried away with the physicality, so our best players, in general, were our best players, whereas our bottom-six carried us last game.

Palat... I just don't know. Everything is off. It was the old Teddy Purcell "plays are dying on his stick over and over" syndrome. He's not generating much of anything, regardless where he's at in the line up, but what's more troubling is I'm not noticing him defensively the way I used to. It seemed like two or three times per night you would see him come up big defensively in previous years. This year, he's just kind of "there," and it's Cirelli and sometimes Paquette, sometimes Johnson, who I notice making the extra effort on D most times.
Palat has astounded me in how far EVERY aspect of his game has fallen off a cliff.

It's not just one thing - he can't stay on his skates, can't hit an open man, won't shoot, can't even receive a pass. It's mind-boggling.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Oh - last thing about the game last night...

Hedman is amazing. Like, every second on the ice he's amazing. He just eats up space with his speed and reach. People who think McDonagh has outplayed him this season are f***ing high.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Oh - last thing about the game last night...

Hedman is amazing. Like, every second on the ice he's amazing. He just eats up space with his speed and reach. People who think McDonagh has outplayed him this season are ****ing high.

I think what suggested to me that Mac had a better season until recently is that Heddy just wasn't as dominant as we've seen in the past and had a slow start. Now, that was certainly because he was out a month with an injury, but he also seemed to take a while to get his rhythm going again.

But yeah, he does seem to have gotten back into defending Norris Trophy champ territory. Thank goodness! :thumbu:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad