GDT: 3/14/18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
There is more to just winning than the corsi battle.

We can track regular season shot differential going back to 1992-93.

21 of the 24 Cup winners were in the top 10. Exactly one had a negative differential.

Obviously, there's more to it than corsi. You don't just hand the #1 ranked CF% team the Cup. But if you're awful at it, you're putting yourself on an endangered species list.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
why do people act like shots and scoring chances are made up math, as opposed to real hockey events that actually happen?

I could see the "spreadsheet" comments if we were talking about a scale like K-rating or an index like Wins Above Replacement.

Corsi is literally counting. It's not any more "analytics" than goals are.

I also don't see why it's such a bizarre suggestion that teams who get outshot generally don't win Cups.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
We can track regular season shot differential going back to 1992-93.

21 of the 24 Cup winners were in the top 10. Exactly one had a negative differential.

Obviously, there's more to it than corsi. You don't just hand the #1 ranked CF% team the Cup. But if you're awful at it, you're putting yourself on an endangered species list.

You shouldn't look at it that simplistically. Using top 10 is WAYYYY too big of a data range. Also the rankings in CF% is so tight that the gap between the 10thish team and like the 19thish team is tiny. This season there's 9 teams that are in the 51% range alone.

What's the record for top 5 Corsi teams?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
You shouldn't look at it that simplistically. Using top 10 is WAYYYY too big of a data range. Also the rankings in CF% is so tight that the gap between the 10thish team and like the 19thish team is tiny. This season there's 9 teams that are in the 51% range alone.

What's the record for top 5 Corsi teams?

15 of 24 were top 5.

The more important point is, it was done once with a negative differential. I don't think 1 out of 24 is looking at it too simplistically.

1 out of 24 means it doesn't work.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I could see the "spreadsheet" comments if we were talking about a scale like K-rating or an index like Wins Above Replacement.

Corsi is literally counting. It's not any more "analytics" than goals are.

I also don't see why it's such a bizarre suggestion that teams who get outshot generally don't win Cups.
you want to track goals now?? Sorry, hockey isn't played on a computer, old timer

As far as corsi goes, the biggest complaint was that it didn't take shot quality into account. Now that we have xgf and track high danger chances, they're either too subjective or too complicated to be important. There's no winning, which is really weird because all it is is additional information

Reactions: Machinehead

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Also, I like how I went from defending the Rangers the last few weeks, who are 31st in CF%, to defending CF%.

Look what you make me do HF.

Granted, I'm never going to defend the 17-18 Rangers in the grand scheme of things, but I like what our young players are doing.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Dude's been MIA lately, I mean compare the output during the Leafs last 10 games to Lainec's last 10, it's ridiculous, Mats is a good ol 0-0-0 and Lainec has pretty much broken every NHL record in the book.

Maybe Montreal will trade us Shaw for him (we could use some more character).
Lainec is very subtle, smoothe and very smart. Love it lmfao

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
15 of 24 were top 5.

The more important point is, it was done once with a negative differential. I don't think 1 out of 24 is looking at it too simplistically.

1 out of 24 means it doesn't work.

It is looking at it too simplistically when you focus solely on the final rankings. In some cases a simple change in coaching philosophy can greatly alter a team's corsi. Possession numbers still have a wide array of factors that play into it.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It is looking at it too simplistically when you focus solely on the final rankings. In some cases a simple change in coaching philosophy can greatly alter a team's corsi. Possession numbers still have a wide array of factors that play into it.

Which would explain the 2009 Pens who changed coaches and were consistently a top 5 CF% the 3-4 years after Bylsma came in. Not that Bylsma is any genius but Therien is in AV's class as far as corsi goes. I don't disagree.

But in this case, we're not talking about a team that's changed coaches and been near the top since the change. We're talking about a team with the same coach.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Also, I like how I went from defending the Rangers the last few weeks, who are 31st in CF%, to defending CF%.

Look what you make me do HF.

Granted, I'm never going to defend the 17-18 Rangers in the grand scheme of things, but I like what our young players are doing.
Rangers have an underrated future in my opinion. Gonna need some luck, but there are definitely some real pieces that can be built around by the right management

Reactions: Machinehead
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad