GDT: 3/14/18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Not sure if this is new-thread-worthy or not, but today is a landmark day - first elimination, thanks to the Coyotes.

With 57 points and 13 games left, ARI has a max of 83 points, 34 ROW.

They're locked out of the Pacific. For the top two spots, VGK and SJS are out of reach at 95 and 85 points, respectively. For the third spot, you have to be a detective. LAK and ARI both have 82 points....but they play each other on 3/30. Whoever wins gets 2 points, and locks ARI out for good.

They're locked out of wild card, too. With ANA-LAK having a tie at 82 points, let's give their game to LAK since they already beat ARI on ROW. That puts LAK at 84, and ANA still at 82 and on the bubble, with DAL and COL occupying the WC with 83 and 82 points. But ANA plays both DAL and COL. If ANA loses both games, then DAL gets 85 and COL gets 84 in WC2, locking ARI with 83 out. If ANA wins a game against DAL but loses to COL, then it's ANA 84, DAL 83, COL 84, and the WC positions are filled with 84 points. If ANA wins against COL but not DAL, it's 85-84 in the wild card. And if ANA wins both, it's 86-83, with COL in the WC2 slot.

With COL having 83 points, 34 ROW, it's another tie. And the series is tied, because the first game is thrown out. In the two games that count, ARI has 5 goals, COL has 7...so, COL wins.

RIP Arizona.
But they're not technically eliminated.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
What a save by Jones

The Sharks and the Oilers both have a bunch of players who step it up against one another. Pavelski and Couture are the league leaders in goals against Edmonton since 2010-2011. Hertl seems to manage to not get completely destroyed McDavid at ES lately. Jones is always ready to play against Edmonton. Then on the other side, you've got Kassian, who turns into Lindros every time he plays against the Sharks, OscOrr KlefBob who always torches us, Cam TalbRoy who is very good against us, etc. Hell, even Lucic is still horribly snake bit, but manages to look good and effective against us.

As much as I love seeing you guys miss the playoffs, this rivalry is definitely a good one and I can certainly hope for the sake of the rivalry that both teams tend to be playoff contenders in the coming years, because the rivalry is a bit flat when one team is struggling.

Reactions: snipes

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Not sure if this is new-thread-worthy or not, but today is a landmark day - first elimination, thanks to the Coyotes.

With 57 points and 13 games left, ARI has a max of 83 points, 34 ROW.

They're locked out of the Pacific. For the top two spots, VGK and SJS are out of reach at 95 and 85 points, respectively. For the third spot, you have to be a detective. LAK and ARI both have 82 points....but they play each other on 3/30. Whoever wins gets 2 points, and locks ARI out for good.

They're locked out of wild card, too. With ANA-LAK having a tie at 82 points, let's give their game to LAK since they already beat ARI on ROW. That puts LAK at 84, and ANA still at 82 and on the bubble, with DAL and COL occupying the WC with 83 and 82 points. But ANA plays both DAL and COL. If ANA loses both games, then DAL gets 85 and COL gets 84 in WC2, locking ARI with 83 out. If ANA wins a game against DAL but loses to COL, then it's ANA 84, DAL 83, COL 84, and the WC positions are filled with 84 points. If ANA wins against COL but not DAL, it's 85-84 in the wild card. And if ANA wins both, it's 86-83, with COL in the WC2 slot.

With COL having 83 points, 34 ROW, it's another tie. And the series is tied, because the first game is thrown out. In the two games that count, ARI has 5 goals, COL has 7...so, COL wins.

RIP Arizona.
after the start Arizona had, it's kind of impressive they hung around this long

ballofhate13

Jan 6, 2018
well this is a defenseman draft so this is a good time to have a lot of picks. hopefully Leafs beat Boston in round 1 to help you guys out

They won't. D depth will kill them and there the Leafs. Toronto has a bright future but they have leaned on Anderson far to much and just exactly How are you going to counter the Bergeron and marchand and pastrnak line knowing full well no line has a better goal to plus minus in the entire NHL. I also out of curiosity accepting the fact injuries happen in the playoffs will you deal depth wise when that challenge happens?

Reactions: DriveFor9th

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
They won't. D depth will kill them and there the Leafs. Toronto has a bright future but they have leaned on Anderson far to much and just exactly How are you going to counter the Bergeron and marchand and pastrnak line knowing full well no line has a better goal to plus minus in the entire NHL. I also out of curiosity accepting the fact injuries happen in the playoffs will you deal depth wise when that challenge happens?
if you say so. the Matthews' line was number 1 in the league in +/- until Matthews got hurt if I remember right. Also Toronto's depth is very strong

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Score may read 8-3 but the game wasn't at all lopsided. Vegas works so hard and hemmed us in with their forecheck plenty of times today and the Devils passed up so many easy clears trying to make something happen. Vegas has an incredible motor. What makes the Devils dangerous though is their speed, transition game, and hard work in their own right. Guys like Coleman and Noesen and Gibbons. Gritty, fast, and opportunistic

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
The Sharks and the Oilers both have a bunch of players who step it up against one another. Pavelski and Couture are the league leaders in goals against Edmonton since 2010-2011. Hertl seems to manage to not get completely destroyed McDavid at ES lately. Jones is always ready to play against Edmonton. Then on the other side, you've got Kassian, who turns into Lindros every time he plays against the Sharks, OscOrr KlefBob who always torches us, Cam TalbRoy who is very good against us, etc. Hell, even Lucic is still horribly snake bit, but manages to look good and effective against us.

As much as I love seeing you guys miss the playoffs, this rivalry is definitely a good one and I can certainly hope for the sake of the rivalry that both teams tend to be playoff contenders in the coming years, because the rivalry is a bit flat when one team is struggling.

Great post, I agree. It’s becoming a pretty good rivalry with exciting action.

Hopefully we get back to the playoffs and meet again soon, that was a fun series last year. Physical, back and forth hockey.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
At least the Leafs are usually entertaining -- both for and against. That's something that can't be said for many teams in the league. As someone who would much rather watch goals scored, carry on Leafs.
haha off topic. you live in costa rica?

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Great post, I agree. It’s becoming a pretty good rivalry with exciting action.

Hopefully we get back to the playoffs and meet again soon, that was a fun series last year. Physical, back and forth hockey.

it was a terrible series, one team was completely destroyed by injuries.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
it was a terrible series, one team was completely destroyed by injuries.

Lmao, you just know any time this topic comes up, Phu is coming in to talk about how the injuries ruined the Sharks chances. (Which is completely true btw)

It's about as predictable as the sun rising, or Hertl completely dominating the Edmonton Oilers.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Lmao, you just know any time this topic comes up, Phu is coming in to talk about how the injuries ruined the Sharks chances. (Which is completely true btw)

It's about as predictable as the sun rising, or Hertl completely dominating the Edmonton Oilers.

*couture

except, you know, when he's injured.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
If I'm Boston/Tampa, I'm not minding finishing #2 in the division to play the Leafs. They won't catch either team and they'll have a fairly easy first round.

Why would the Leafs be an easy series?

If you finish first, you get one of Florida/Jersey/Columbus. Likely all inferior teams to the Leafs. Especially Florida and Jersey.

I might even argue they're better than Philly, so like @Maplebeasts said, they'll probably be the hardest road team in the Eastern Conference.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
The Leafs have a pretty damn good record against the Bruins these last two seasons.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
if you say so. the Matthews' line was number 1 in the league in +/- until Matthews got hurt if I remember right. Also Toronto's depth is very strong
Yup- With Matthews healthy, the Leafs have two lines that can shut down just about anyone, and score almost at will, with Hyman-Matthews-Nylander, and Marleau-Kadri-Marner.

And then our 3rd line is JVR-Bozak-Brown, which is a decent 2nd line.

Our fourth is currently Kapanen-Plekanec-Johnsson, though Johnsson probably draws out for Komarov.

And ever since Dermott’s call-up, our d-depth has been fine. Not a great dcorps, but not a weakness, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad