Speculation: 2nd round. Who you want?

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
High upside guys. Unless you're talking about the top of the draft, guys with less skill aren't more likely to make the NHL than guys with more skill.

This isn't the game of baseball. To butcher the analogy, hitting for contact or bases doesn't give any better odds than going for a home run. Go for the guys that may pan out. More Scherbak's and fewer McCarron's.

Reactions: Peanut

Mike Hasselhoffman

Bell Centre Baywatch
Sep 17, 2011
Johnny Tychonick
Ty Dellandrea
Rasmus Sandin
Nils Lundkvist
Jesse Ylonen
Cole Fonstad
Jake Wise
Jack McBain
Nicolas Beaudin
Liam Foudy
Blake McLaughlin
Filip Hallander
Bulat Shafugullin
Jakub Lauko
Jonatan Berggren
Niklas Nordgren

Just some of the players that I like that could be available at one of our 2nds, whether earlier or later.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Not everyone here is following the draft with enough scrutiny to know which players the Habs should be favoring in the 2nd round.

Rather than just provide lists, can you please indicate next to your selections why you believe the Habs should go for any given player.

Also, as part of your drafting strategy, state whether your selections are BPAs or need-based.

Finally, should they try to move up to the first round by using a combo of any of their four 2nd rounders?

Last edited:

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Topping

Do you think Woo goes in the 1st round? I would think he's easily a 2nd rounder.

I think Woo easily slips to the second round as well. He's a pretty 'safe' pick though. The kind of guy you could pick up here and there.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Not everyone here is following the draft with enough scrutiny to know which players the Habs should be favoring in the 2nd round.

Rather than just provide lists, can you please indicate next to your selections why you believe the Habs should go for any given player.

Also, as part of your drafting strategy, state whether your selections are BPAs or need-based.

Finally, should they try to move up to the first round by using a combo of any of their four 2nd rounders?
Always BPA for me, tough to have a ranking right now, but these are guys that I personally like a lot:

Johnny Tychonick: A strong skating puck rusher who can send pinpoint passes through traffic and then likes to join the rush and help out below the goal line in the offensive zone. Quick feet give him the ability to skate effectively east to west and impress in neutral zone. Good puck skills and good anticipation with the puck on his stick. In his own end, he is evasive and can lose forecheckers with one slick move to keep the puck alive and transitioning to offence.

Ty Dellandrea: Brings a perfect mix of skill and grit to the ice, Dellandrea has all the tools to be a pro in the very near future. Offensive instincts are off the charts, and he competes at a very high level, sacrificing his body to make a play. Great shot and he played on a really bad team.

Rasmus Sandin: A late comer to the OHL, but he has been an impact player to the Soo since his arrival and as a result has been a steady draft riser that played his way into the Top Prospects Game. Sandin moves the puck well and is smooth with the puck carrying it up ice. Sandin plays big minutes and consistently makes good decisions with the puck.

Jesse Ylonen: Ylonen is a strong skater. He has good speed and acceleration. He also has the agility to make quick cuts. This is coupled with good stickhandling skills makes him dangerous off the rush. While he works to protect the puck down low and does a decent job in the cycle game, he could be even better with added muscle mass. Ylonen has a good wrist shot and release, as well as strong passing skills and decent vision. He is a threat as both a goal scorer and playmaker.

Cole Fonstad: Fonstad is a very skilled playmaker who also possessed a good shot, potting 21 goals on the season on top of his 52 assists. Shoots right handed which seems to be hard to find in the NHL these days. A bit undersized at 5'10 but he is very quick and a great skater, maybe one of the best skating forwards in the draft. His hockey IQ and vision makes the players around him better.

Jake Wise: Top-end playmaker with superior vision and hockey sense who is the power play architect for Team USA’s under-18 team. Wise has excellent hand-eye coordination and razor sharp awareness, and he’ll rarely make a mistake when opponents giftwrap a scoring chance. He also possesses a highly-accurate shot that seems to give goalies a hard time.

Blake McLaughlin: He displays mature playmaking skills however, with a penchant for making deft passes that set up teammates well. He’s extremely elusive making him particularly dangerous on special teams, having nailed two shorthanded goals this year as well as five on the power play. And he’s shown some physical chops on defense, utilizing his quickness and somewhat surprising strength to effectively slow opponents.

Filip Hallander: Read: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/c-w-filip-hållander-timrå-ik-allsvenskan-2018-draft.2363149/

Bulat Shafigullin: Read: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...n-reaktor-nizhnekamsk-mhl-2018-draft.2390463/

Jonatan Berggren: A two-way highly skilled winger with a nonstop motor, Berggren’s speed and anticipation causes havoc for opposing defenders, but it’s the plays he makes after forcing turnovers that separate him from most players his age. His active stick and quick hands turn harmless dump-ins into quality chances, and his speed allows him to blow past defenders at the blue line. Playing and thinking at the same time is a rare combination for young players, but Berggren does both at high level.

Kyle Topping: Topping never fails to impress. The kid amazes me every game. He finished with 65 points in 66 games. Has a similar play style and similar developmental curve to his teammate Kole Lind. Not the biggest guy on the ice at 5'11 185 lbs. but I don't see him get out-muscled much. He plays physical which you must do if you want to survive in the WHL. Also a right handed shooter which is handy.

Alexander Alexeyev: Alexeyev has good vision and passing skills. He can start the play with a good pass out of his own end, as well as quarterback the play from the blue line. Strong skating ability, with good speed in both directions, as well as strong pivots allow him to play an effective two-way games. He also has a hard shot, but must find a way to get it through to the net, and keep it low for teammates to grab deflections and rebounds.

Cameron Hillis: Cameron Hillis is a skilled forward with soft hands and excellent hockey sense. He is an offensive catalyst every time he is on the ice. Crisp accurate passer who always finds a seam to thread the puck through. Although Hillis is a top notch playmaker he also uses his shot with regularity making him a double threat and hard to read on what he might do, shoot or pass. Utilizes great vision, shrewd awareness and outstanding anticipation to read the opposition and exploit their weakness. Propels to top speed smoothly using a wide, lowered skating base where he generates power through use of total leg range of motion. Defensive zone play is inconsistent and will need seasoning but shows a healthy compete tracking back to provide valuable back pressure. As a smaller skilled forward, Hillis recognizes that adding strength to his overall game will help him compete in smaller areas of the ice.

NONE OF THESE ARE MY WORDS. All credit goes to respective scouting websites I found and poster @Stive Morgan

There aren't many guys I am willing to move up for, so it depends.

Last edited:

GHJimmy

We made it here.
Mar 30, 2018
Please no power forwards or grinders! These kind of players only be good on NHL 18 not in real life.

GHJimmy

We made it here.
Mar 30, 2018
We will need some though, but yeah! Best player available.
If you could draft one like Blake Wheeler sure but penalty minutes don't give us goals or points just garbage penalty minutes geez get rid of delauriers and McCarron, Rychel. Showing off who's toughest! We should be toughest at scoring and trying for Stanley cup instead of having the most penalty minutes for habs history. I wonder how they get 24 cups? All skill and hard work to score.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
The nice thing with our first two 2nds is they're high enough that we could potentially land 3 first round talents when all is said, if some GMs in the first go "safe" or reach for intangibles/size like we did with McCarron.

Alot of teams don't have 2nds and/or 3rds. So some GMs in the 1st might feel more comfortable picking more "refined" players that require less projecting, than higher ceiling players that may have some question marks or simply lack exposure, to our benefit.

As for using some them to trade up, it's an interesting option. For me alot depends on who slides in the first, if not I'd like to keep them as 25 to 45-ish are fairly interchangeable.

Last edited:

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
The nice thing with our first two 2nds is they're high enough that we might just be able to land 3 first round talents when all is said, if some GMs in the first go "safe" or reach for intangibles/size like we did with McCarron.

Alot of teams don't have 2nds and/or 3rds. So some GMs might feel more comfortable picking more "refined" players that require less projecting, than higher ceiling players that may have some question marks or simply lack exposure.

As for using some to trade up, it's an interesting option. For me alot depends on who slides in the first, otherwise I'd like to keep them.
Timmins, Lind, Hague, Ratcliffe went with the first 4 for last years 2nds(where our 1st 2nd will be)
Robertson, Heponiemi, JAD(where our 2nd 2nd will be)

All pretty good prospects

Reactions: Runner77

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad