Confirmed with Link: 2nd round - #35OA - LW Sebastian Aho - Karpat (FIN)

Francis10

Jan 28, 2012
Canada
If you look at past drafts since Tony Macdonald took over, after his first round picks (which any of us could do) he has been brutal in the rest of the rounds. You need to get some talent from rounds 3-7 once in awhile and we have gotten nothing.

Reactions: Identity404

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
If you look at past drafts since Tony Macdonald took over, after his first round picks (which any of us could do) he has been brutal in the rest of the rounds. You need to get some talent from rounds 3-7 once in awhile and we have gotten nothing.

Yeah Justin Faulk is just brutal.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
since he's taken over we've found Jordan, Andersen, Alt, Biega, Lowe, Woods, Carrick, Slavin, and Pesce in later rounds.

Not world beaters but not terrible either, especially as all but Jordan were from a 3 draft span. Still too soon to judge this year and last year yet but Wallmark and Bishop are already looking like great finds.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
since he's taken over we've found Jordan, Andersen, Alt, Biega, Lowe, Woods, Carrick, Slavin, and Pesce in later rounds.

Not world beaters but not terrible either, especially as all but Jordan were from a 3 draft span. Still too soon to judge this year and last year yet but Wallmark and Bishop are already looking like great finds.

Dave, I wouldn't be opposed to adding Brendan Woods to this list. I think that this year is the telling one.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Was just reading that Aho is expected to be taken in the chl import draft tomorrow. I'd imagine as a second round pick. Some team will hope he is signed and the team sends him to junior. I personally can't see him coming over not have I seen mentioned anywhere that it is his intent to.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
How would it be better for his development to play juniors instead of with men in Finland?

I don't think it would be and I don't think canes management would either. Off the top of my head I can't think of any Europeans we drafted recently that we had come over to play juniors. The Scandinavian guys are always left on their respective teams.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
of course its not a rumor

the guy above me asked why would he want to go to the CHL and i just posted that because i saw it earlier and clearly some others think he should come to NA sooner

Most people in NA are always gonna promote the chl as its the top developmental league in the world.

Obviously not always the best. Aho is already playing well and his role will only continue to grow. He's not one of those kids languishing playing 4 minutes a game for a men's team.

I don't see the need for him to come over

Anything

Sep 22, 2013
Oulu, Finland
Sebastian Aho starting his season with a bang. 2 goals in his first game this season in Finnish Liiga with more than 20 minutes still to play. No link to goals available just yet.

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
Sebastian Aho starting his season with a bang. 2 goals in his first game this season in Finnish Liiga with more than 20 minutes still to play. No link to goals available just yet.

Wooo...keep it going. Maybe we see him next year if he continues on this path?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I'll keep my excitement in check. I recall last year that through a handful of games, Wallmark was on fire with like 7 points in his first 8 games (and maybe even led his league in scoring?), but ended up with 18 points in 50 games. That's not to say that Aho or Wallmark won't be good NHL players, just that they are likely to take a lot more development, which is fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad