Proposal: 2nd Overall (CHI/ANA)

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Last year, most everyone assumed that the Ducks would take Fantilli at 2OA. But they ended up taking Carlsson who they believed would be the better player over the long term. This year the obvious choice would be Levshunov but I think the Ducks could very well surprise people with a pick that they believe will be better over the long term.
Honestly this is part of why I think they could take Helenius. Maybe they trade back for him but given the stated desire for adding a top 4 D this summer I could very well see them thinking they are set between new guy, Gudas, Luneau and Zell on the right, with all the other guys we have on the left and then adding another d with the late first. I'd say we have a bigger prospect hole at upcoming RS forwards.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
How about Chicago trades their (2) 1st rounders (#2 & #20) and their a 2nd rounder (#54) to Anaheim for #3 and Zegras ?
I really don't think Anaheim would pay much to move up a spot, Zegras is the equivalent of a top 10 pick (there are generally about 3-4 players as good or better than him in most top 10's of drafts). Moving up one spot to Anaheim is probably worth mid pick (2nd or 3rd at most), 20 and 54 wouldn't be close to making up the value. Ducks are at a point they need quality, and the chance that 20 and 54 are as good as Zegras is less than the chance that a better player is available at 3 than the player drafted at 2.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
The odds are the Ducks want someone that would have been available at 5 or 6. The Ducks rarely take the consensus pick and it works out pretty well for them.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
I don't see why either team does this. Drafting in the top 5 - just take the player you want.

There's no reason for Anaheim to trade down because they "think" they can get the guy they like the best then. Same logic for Chicago.

From the ducks perspective at 3, they will have their choice of either their top choice at D or Demidov. Worst case is they get their second choice at D (if they don't want Demidov). The gap between the first and second best D-Man is negligible.

Reactions: tomd

Vivaldi

May 18, 2024
A 2nd rounder should be enough, I imagine Chicago has a couple players there they're identically happy with since they need one of everything and then some. It does make sense for Anaheim to secure Levshunov if the cost is reasonable with how well he fits next to Mintyukov

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
I understand the point of view that many seem to have regarding trading extra assets for guys who are ranked on the same tier, as you never know how they will develop. However, IMO IF a scouting department falls in love and the team has extra assets and young players looking like they will be the real deal, then I don't think it's crazy to add assets to move up and get your guy.

The obvious answer is whoever is left over from levshunov/Demidov

But I wouldn’t be shocked if our scouts like
Saliyev
Yakemchuk
Helenius
buium

I just hope If it is 1 of those guys , we trade down a bit

If this scenario happened, Verbeek should call Hughes. Montreal needs a game-breaking forward. Demidev or Lindstrom would be perfect for them and neither are guaranteed to make it to 5.

Reactions: cedouimet

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
(assuming EDM don't win 2 games in a row + do not go to round 3)

to Chicago Blackhawks
3rd overall (ANA 1st)
24th overall (EDM 1st) = CHI move up 10 spots from 34 to 24
a promise that ANA will take Levshunov 2nd overall

to Anaheim Ducks
2nd overall (CHI 1st) -----> Levshunov
34th overall (CHI 2nd) = ANA move down 10 spots from 24 to 34

Last edited:
Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Anyway, if you think I'm an idiot and the whole premise of this thread is dumb
The premise of the thread is plausible. A team can want to move up to ensure it gets a particular player. Teams have given a sweetener to a team just ahead of it to swap picks and ensure that certainty.

The issue is the first rounder for the privilege of doing so. There is believed to be a wide open field of options after Celebrini, and that many teams have differing ideas about how picks in the No. 2-15 range would play out, based on their own preferences and draft boards. Those lists from team to team vary a lot.

The cost for Anaheim to swap those two picks is probably not a first rounder. If the Blackhawks were open to offers but set the price at a first, they would end up finding no takers and making the pick themselves (quite possibly their preferred option). If they really did want to trade down a bit and recoup some futures, it's more likely the cost to move one spot is a high third rounder or a decent second (No. 35-45). It's just one spot.

An extra first rounder would only be the cost for a team with a pick considerably further back (around No. 15) to swap picks for the No. 2 pick. Dropping from No. 2 to 3, though? I doubt Anaheim would be interested, even if they did like one particular player and suspected Chicago would take him.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
(assuming EDM don't win 2 games in a row + do not go to round 3)

to Chicago Blackhawks
3rd overall (ANA 1st)
24th overall (EDM 1st) = CHI move up 10 spots from 34 to 24
a promise that ANA will take Levshunov 2nd overall

to Anaheim Ducks
2nd overall (CHI 1st) -----> Levshunov
34th overall (CHI 2nd) = ANA move down 10 spots from 24 to 34

Id gamble on Chicago going Demidov/lidstrom... its not like Levshunov is a sure thing at 2 for chicago... and nots like we cant go other people at 3.

Rather use the 24th pick to try to move up to the 14-18 range and grab 1 of those big wingers.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Id gamble on Chicago going Demidov/lidstrom... its not like Levshunov is a sure thing at 2 for chicago... and nots like we cant go other people at 3.

Rather use the 24th pick to try to move up to the 14-18 range and grab 1 of those big wingers.
Ducks are just as likely to pick Lindstrom or Silayev as they are to pick Levshunov. Let Chicago take Levshunov and Anaheim will happily devour the leftovers. Then we can check back in 5 years...

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Michael Brandsegg-Nygard or Bust.
May 11, 2023
Yes, there is a chance they get Levshunov without having to give up anything. But the odds of getting the player they want are exponentially better if they trade up.

Am I really having to explain on a hockey forum why teams trade up in the draft?

It didn't happen in the 1st round last year so maybe you're right and that's the trend but this scenario is not unheard of.

Anyway, if you think I'm an idiot and the whole premise of this thread is dumb, you're free to move on.

I hate this trade forum. I don't know why anyone even bothers. Mods, lock this thread and delete it. I don't give a f*** anymore.
You are on a hockey forum having to explain why a team is paying another first round pick to move up one slot and it's not for something like Bedard or McDavid or whoever.

What makes Levshunov so good that they are terrified Chicago will take him before them? That's the problem.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
My money is on the Ducks wanting Cayden Lindstrom and i wouldn't be remotely surprised if they just stood pat and took him at 3. They're sitting in the driver's seat to do just that.

Macklin @ 1. Then @ 2 I'd be shocked if Chicago looked a gift horse in the mouth and didn't just take one of the many promising D to add to their growing collection of forwards with real promise. Be that Levshunov or any one of the others.

At that point...Anaheim can still make a compelling case for plenty of defencemen and make adjustments and swap arounds if they end up with too many good young LHD panning out, or just take the forward they like best...as their own ranking of the second best forward in the draft.

Reactions: tomd

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
If CHI wants Levshunov they won't drop down 1 spot because they know they will loose him.
So if they take that deal it's because they are not taking him, either way it's CHI choice, so just draft 3rd and keep EDM first.
Parekh seems a decent pick as well, might end up better then Levshunov

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Last year, most everyone assumed that the Ducks would take Fantilli at 2OA. But they ended up taking Carlsson who they believed would be the better player over the long term. This year the obvious choice would be Levshunov but I think the Ducks could very well surprise people with a pick that they believe will be better over the long term.
I also think that the Black Hawks might be taking Demidov.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
RHD is clearly the biggest need organizationally.

I think Anaheim is pretty set on offensive defensemen for the foreseeable future. They will probably take Levshunov if he is available at 3 but I doubt they are that desperate to get him. If they really want another RD prospect then I would bet Ceulemans or Boqvist could be had from Columbus
With Mintyukov and Zellweger, Anaheim has offensively gifted left-shot D. What their organization needs is a right-shot D who is a shut-down type.
Keeping the Edmonton pick and obtaining one of Badinka, Elick, or Brrunicke allows the Ducks to keep 3OA and get their top target while adding one of the best RHD.
They are currently in an ideal situation to get two prospects that improve their organization--no need to mess that up.

Edit: The Ducks with their early second could get two RHD--other options in the range would be Skahan and Emery. Getting two 6'3" right-shot D while taking the organization's favorite at 3; win-win.

Last edited:

Ledge And Dairy

With Mintyukov and Zellweger, Anaheim has offensively gifted left-shot D. What their organization needs is a right-shot D who is a shut-down type.
Keeping the Edmonton pick and obtaining one of Badinka, Elick, or Brrunicke allows the Ducks to keep 3OA and get their top target while adding one of the best RHD.
They are currently in an ideal situation to get two prospects that improve their organization--no need to mess that up.

Edit: The Ducks with their early second could get two RHD--other options in the range would be Skahan and Emery. Getting two 6'3" right-shot D while taking the organization's favorite at 3; win-win.
Exactly. Like Levshunov could absolutely develop into a stud 2-way defender but I think Chicago is similarly just as interested in adding that too with only Rinzel in their pipeline at RD. I'm pretty sure Chicago would rather have the choice between the 2.

airforceones25

Jun 16, 2009
California
This is dumb for Anaheim and even dumber for Chicago.. If Chicago has a player they are targeting besides Lev (Demidov, Saliyev, Lindstrom, etc..) You don't essentially threaten Anaheim that you will trade the pick to someone else because you risk losing the player you're actually targeting. If Anaheim knows you dont want Lev and Anaheim is indeed theoretically targeting him you do nothing but hang up the phone. You sit and let him fall into your lap. Chicago will not move down multiple positions when the guy they seek is right there for them to begin with. Bad proposal all around.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Based only off reading scouting reports, there are 2-4 guys after Celebrini that the Ducks would want. Lev is obviously on the list. Silayev could be a guy they're high on... big, mean, can skate, plays on the right, defensively sound. Demidov might have the highest offensive upside and plays RW. Lindstrom is huge (but plays LW?). Ducks will have their choice of a similar tier player at 3. Get a D and one of the big RHD with the Edmonton 1st or Anaheim 2nd and they're looking a lot better on the right side.

Reactions: emptyNedder

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
I don't think this type of deal gets done because from a GM's perspective it's incredibly risky. It's much safer to just take the player you want because every fan/media member is going to forever compare the opportunity cost of any of the players you pass on, and the likelyhood of the "sweetner" making up that difference is small, and unlikely to occur for 4-5 years. Much easier to take the guy you want and trot out the typical cliches about "thrilled so-and-so was available" or "we had him higher on our board".

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Based only off reading scouting reports, there are 2-4 guys after Celebrini that the Ducks would want. Lev is obviously on the list. Silayev could be a guy they're high on... big, mean, can skate, plays on the right, defensively sound. Demidov might have the highest offensive upside and plays RW. Lindstrom is huge (but plays LW?). Ducks will have their choice of a similar tier player at 3. Get a D and one of the big RHD with the Edmonton 1st or Anaheim 2nd and they're looking a lot better on the right side.
Yeah - the only way this makes sense is if ANA is REALLY excited about a particular player, and feels like there is a major fall off to the other comparables. That seems unlikely given the general consensus on the players available, but the thing I always try to remember is that teams don't draft based on consensus, and prospect scouting is a very "personal" activity based on the team's perception. Just last year, the vast majority of folks thought the Ducks were going to take Fantilli, but they went Carlson instead.

I expect that everyone stays put and drafts in their spot, but always interesting to theorycraft and discuss.

Reactions: lwvs84

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad